Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:31:39 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Full Moon" demise? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Full Moon" demise?  (Read 3840 times)
Jay O'Connor
« on: November 01, 2001, 06:18:38 PM »

In the StompTokyo review of "Trancers III" there is a mention of "the apparent demise of Full Moon Productions".  Can anyone fill me in on this?  I'm pretty new to the "B-Movie as obsession" and was starting to notice the prevelance of Full Moon produced works making their ways into my VCR.  I rather like their work. Are they gone?  What about http://www.fullmoonpictures.com/ ?

Is this a case of discovering a band ("Band"?  "Charles Band"?  Boo!) and becoming a fan after the band has broken up?
Will
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2001, 07:23:53 PM »

I do think they're having some problems, but I haven't heard anything about them going under.  In fact, their website is currently under reconstruction, so I assume that means they're revamping for the better.  It is true, though, that some of their touted new products, like DVD box sets of Puppet Master and Supspecies series have been postponed, so I don't know what the deal is.  Their stuff in recent years has been really not entertaining, so I'm wondering if they lost their magic touch when Stuart Gordon quit doing films for them.....
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2001, 08:01:39 PM »

I hear the reason for the pulling of the box sets is that Paramount still owns rights to Full Moon's "classic" back log.  Charlie is currently 'on the lamb' from the various lawyers revolving around the case.  Mmmmm.

Charlie lands on his feet.  He'll be back and 'better' than ever.

As far as I know they are still around (Kushner-Locke evidently owns stock in them as well).
Nathan
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2001, 11:33:23 AM »

There was a hiatus right around Trancers 3 in the mid-'90's; the transition was the ending of the relationship between Paramount and Full Moon.

Since then, Full Moon has reduced budgets (and quality, generally) dramatically, but is still putting out the films.  Here are a few of recent ones that you can find in your local video store:

HorrorVision
Stitches
The Horrible Dr. Bones
the Witchouse series
The Vault
Sideshow
Killjoy

Nathan
StatCat
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2001, 05:58:27 PM »

I am a big fan of some of the full moon movies but hate about 75% of them. My favorites are the first 3 puppet masters, subspecies, castle freak, dead hate the living and a few others. The quality of the films has dramatically fallen in the past years. The puppet master series was actually out on box set on dvd but that was for a limited time. I never heard anything about them coming to a demise.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2001, 11:41:37 AM »

When Charles Band was making films in the 1980's he had a company in Italy called Empire Pictures. The movies he made at that time were worthy of a thearical release (not only that but his Empire Pictures also formed the out-of-business Wizard Video that released rare films on video in those huge box covers with nice artwork). But I felt that Band's older films like TERRORVISION, GHOULIES, TROLL, ZONE TROOPERS, etc. were his better part of his career (GHOULIES was a box office hit in 1984 and did set his company on the map). Now he his making direct-to-video features that are sub-par and don't really amount to his original style.

Not many like Charles Band either, even though he was responsible for financing and distribution of RE-ANIMATOR and FROM BEYOND-two great stylish horror films that became box office hits and critical success (so it's hard to say Charles Band is a hack or a bad filmmaker when it comes to these two films).
Nathan
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2001, 11:13:25 AM »

The thing you gotta remember is that Band is really not responsible for the success of a lot of his movies.  Stuart Gordon directed Re-Animator and From Beyond (and The Pit and the Pendulum, and Castle Freak), and they're as good as movies he's directed for other producers.  Albert Pyun directed Arcade, and it sucks just about as much as you'd expect a Pyun film to suck.  If there's art to be made (or even entertainment), it's the directors that make it; Band's focus is on selling product.

Nathan
Chadzilla
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2001, 12:54:54 PM »

Although Band likes to pat himself on the back for the success of Re-Animator, truth is he had nothing at all to do with actual production (sources being Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon) outside of visiting the set for a photo op when his coming Empire Pictures picked up the movie for distribution.  However Band, being a smart business man, did sign Stuart Gordon to a three picture deal at Empire (Gordon delivered From Beyond, Dolls, and Robot Jox).  As a director Band hovers around competent, nothing he has directed has ever been particularly memorable or special.  The less said about his screenwriting the better.

Band as producer is known for being a spend thrift as well as having an eye for talent (Stuart Gordon and Demi Moore are two of the more famous individuals he 'discovered' and gave work to).  Whether he his just a slick con man or a survivalist independent film dealmaker extraordinare depends on who you talk to.  It does say something that so many directors and actors continue work to for the man's countlessly revised production companies.

Even is Full Moon goes the way of Empire Charlie will be back, you can't keep the man down - bless his heart.
Chris K.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2001, 06:56:04 PM »

It's true that Charles Band did not direct RE-ANIMATOR or FROM BEYOND, however Band DOES DESERVE a pat on the back for releasing the films. Imagine at the time those two features were made, do you think that a company like Paramount, Universal, or 20th Century Fox would have released RE-ANIMATOR or FROM BEYOND? Hell no! Those companies would not even touch a type of film like RE-ANIMATOR. But Charles Band would and therefore gave the films a good theatrical release. If Band did not release these films, RE-ANIMATOR and FROM BEYOND would have either remained on the shelf for ages or be released on second rate direct-to-video corporations and make VERY LITTLE cash value.

Charlie could be either a slick con man or a survivalist independent film dealmaker extraordinare, but one thing is clear about Charles Band and that is he was able to get something out there and become either a big or small success and move on to something better. And he got results.

I would really like to see his new films released in legit theatres, but I guess it won't happen until he decides to go way out to do so. In any case I miss his older style of work and I hope that his older films like TERRORVISION or THE DUNGEONMASTER will be released in restored forms for future references.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Full Moon" demise? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.