Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:47:44 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Movie Dilemma « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Movie Dilemma  (Read 1713 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: December 08, 2004, 09:33:48 PM »

Films that have come out this year that I haven't seen yet, but are on my list:

Alamo
Dodgeball
Elf
Bad Santa
Cronicles of Riddick
Kill Bill I & II
Lost In Translation
Underworld

Also saw a few straight to video films I'd like to see that I can't recall the titles of at this moment. (I picture myself visiting the Blockbuster  writing down titles with paper and pen in hand.) : )

Hard to rent from Blockbuster at $4 plus for films that you can get from Netflix for under $2.00 if you return your films quickly, but there are so many older films that I would like to see before the new releases above. Blockbuster has the convience of getting the movie on impulse were Netflix you have to wait a bit. I haven't rented a new film from Netflix, so I don't know how the availability is yet. Guess I'll have to check on the ones above.

Movie viewing has become demanding lately for me. : ) With my Netflix membership, good cheap VHS tapes $2-3 dollars floating around everywhere as they are trying to dump them before people stop buying them. Picked up about 25 Kung Fu VHS films back in August and still haven't found the time to watch them. also having the option of getting a quick new release from the local video store, and the recent Rhino pick-up of 16 Horror films. Oldies, Diamond, and Brentwood have been putting out new stuff also now and then. Also for those of you who have Encore Channel, FLIX, AMC, and TCM you have another opportunity to view even more films. You can also rent older VHS's for $2.00 now at most video stores.

Renting from the local Blockbuster isn't worth it, but once in a while I check out a new film. Getting access to the most films at the cheapest price is my mission.

Post Edited (12-08-04 21:31)

Todd R.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:52:07 PM »

Yeah, when you can go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart and buy a stack of bad movies (or honest-to-goodness good movies, like Clint Eastwood's THE GAUNTLET) for around six or seven bucks, it's kind of hard to justify spending over four bucks to rent something at Blockbuster. If I buy a movie for seven bucks and watch it only twice in the course of my life, then the money I spent was a better deal than renting the same movie twice at Buckbuster.

On a related note, I just bought PYTHON at Wal-Mart last weekend. The less said, the better. However, the movie is absolutely fantastic with the commentary track turned on. Very informative. Oh, and the guy in charge of the snake CGI is one very bitter individual.
Todd R.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 11:05:22 PM »

In my previous post, I actually typed "Buckbuster" instead of "Blockbuster." What an interesting slip of the keys. Or slip of the fingers. Or whatever you'd call it.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:56:51 PM »

The Blockbusters in my area have adapted the Netflix rental strategy.  $25/mo for 2, $30 for 3.  No turn around rental rate, but of course Blockbuster has a much, much worse selection.

If you're going cheapest, see what your local library has to offer.  I work for the Phoenix library, and we let people have up to 5 dvds for a week, no charge.  Of course, you have to wait for the new popular films, but it's free.

Still, I use Netflix, Blockbuster and the library.  At any time I have about 8 to 10 movies I need to watch.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
peter johnson
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 12:33:38 AM »

I thank the unholy Badmovies Deities that I live where I do --
Our local indie-owned video distributors have still not succumed to the Blockbuster onslaught:  Showtime Rentals still gives 99cent Tues/Wed. & Video Station gives multiple freebie deals.  I've been able to see many things that I needed to see, but would never buy, and only ever had to spend a buck to do so!!
And yet, I too will still rent from Blockbuster -- It's like buying a bag of chips at 7-ll, because, like cockroaches, they are there at the time.
I feel so dirty . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 10:17:49 PM »

Almost forgot the library, thanks Mofo. They do have some good new selections.

mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 04:48:32 AM »

Mofo Rising wrote:

> The Blockbusters in my area have adapted the Netflix rental
> strategy.  $25/mo for 2, $30 for 3.  No turn around rental
> rate, but of course Blockbuster has a much, much worse
> selection.
> Still, I use Netflix, Blockbuster and the library.  At any time
> I have about 8 to 10 movies I need to watch.

not to mention that schlockbuster only carries EDITED versions of numerous r-rated theatrical releases...case in point REQUIem FOR A DREAM...the R-rated theatrical version is chopped.

also, even netflix carries dvds that are chopped...case in point EVIL ED...a fun genre pic on VHS...the dvd is a travesty...who wants the chopped version to exist indefinitely in the digital domain??? NOT ME!!!

mr. henry
www.310am.com

"When the pigs try to get at ya
Park it like it's hot
Park it like it's hot
Park it like it's hot"
- S N double-o P, D O double-G

"why do you want to shoot squirrels?"
"because they're gay"
-cabin fever

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

"there is truth in your fiction and fiction in your truth" - ANIMATRIX

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 04:30:08 PM »

Dodgeball - Has some funny moments.  But, overall, it's not very memorable.  

Bad Santa - I have the "Badder Santa" version on DVD.  It's a decent movie, but not as hilarious as it should have been.  

Kill Bill I & II - Classics.  Put these at the top of your list.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Movie Dilemma « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.