Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:17:17 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Blockbuster « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Blockbuster  (Read 7972 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2005, 12:40:07 PM »

I remember that scam. For all the work that went into making it look authentic, nobody bothered to proofread it, or at least run it through a spell checker.

No, I think eBay was out to protect their sellers, or at least their reputation, that time. They don't want word getting out that dealing through eBay carries any unusual risk. There are already enough of those kinds of rumours going around.

Just the same, they are doing everything they can to keep people from making any sort of business connections outside of eBay. And I agree, it is really hard to get ahold of anybody at eBay. About the only option is filling out a form (that is not always easy to find) for a specific type of question or complaint that does not always fit the situation. Then you hope somebody gets back to you with a satisfactory answer. I had mentioned their complaint-driven rules. Well, a few months ago, an unknown competitor was hitting our listings daily, reporting anything that remotely resembled an infraction. When we finally got our complaint through, and finally got a response, the answer was that people are basically honest, and nobody would do such a thing. If there were another option, I would stop dealing with eBay in a second.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2005, 01:06:37 PM »

I remember back in the 70's when the supermarket chain A&P got into trouble cutting milk prices below cost. I believe regulations on grocery items and what would be termed necessary commodities are still enforced. The biggest example of predatory pricing is the day after Thanksgiving. This is also the day you see consumers at their worst and frankly the season that will put a few more small businesses out of business. I also wonder what happened to that ego people used to have about not shopping at places like Kmart and Hill's because they felt it was beneath them. Wal-marts predatory practices, and other companies that have adopted them, have worked where Kmart and Hill's lower prices did not, except in certain larger cities. Howerver, when you have the only game in town for 80% of the population, does it make that much difference? I have faith that Wal-mart will be their own worst enemy. Unfortunately that still won't do much for the small business because the damage has already been done.

Menard
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »

Even if word gets out that eBay carries any unusual risk, and it does, where are you going to go? In eBay's position of being the only real game in town, they don't care. Let's face it: the majority of people on eBay are not that computer savy. They know how to get online, check e-mail, find eBay (which for a lot of proprietary browsers is just a click away), find Amazon.com, and a few links that have been provided for them. They do not know how to use Google very effectively. When this is a good part of their customer base, do they really need to worry about them being able to find another auction site? Paypal is an unusual risk. They require your bank account number to use their service. A lot of people assume their bank will protect them. If Paypal, which is not a finacial institution, makes a mistake with your checking account, that is their mistake and your mistake; the bank has no obligation or requirement to correct that. Of course, new auction sites that pop up are a risk simply because they do not have the experience to deal with scam artists the way eBay does (although they still litter eBay). Amazon.com auctions, although not very big, does afford some protection in that all sellers in the US are required to use Amazon Payments, which means that you can use any credit card or payment type that Amazon accepts to pay a seller. This also, for credit card users, provides a degree of protection if their credit card offers such. If you use you checking account through Paypal, you are provided with neither protection. I try to only deal with sellers and online businesses that have flexibility in the types of payment they accept. The reason being that my local stores will provide customer service; I don't see any reason why online business should not held to the same standard. Aw dang, my soapbox just broke, guess I'll have to cut this short ( :

JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2005, 07:06:14 PM »

>I think a very big concern was also to keep email addresses from being
>harvested by automated crawlers compiling addresses for spammers.

That was one of the stated reason, but if that was true, they could have simply added an additional step to foil automated programs, like making you enter a letter/number sequence from an image, like many sites now do. Instead they eliminated the ability to get another member's email address and you have to send the message through eBay.
blkrider
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2005, 03:11:03 AM »

I don't think Blockbuster will ever be able to surpass Netflix....their selection will never measure up.  Too many things they probably won't carry, whereas Netflix carries stuff like THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE and EMMANUELLE IN AMERICA which actually have hardcore sex scenes.  

The marketplace still determines a lot...you still get great local video stores in major metropolitan areas or places where there's a good niche market.  The places I've seen where the Hollywoods and Blockbusters have totallly taken over are areas where the customer base isn't overly interested in anything other than recent mainstream releases.   At least in the case of Hollywood Video I think what they carry depends on the customer base--the Hollywood we went to when I used to live in Silicon Valley had much more diverse selection than the one I patronized back when I lived in the Midwest.
Deedabeeda
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2005, 03:45:16 PM »

Blockbuster owns Movie Trading Company, so don't worry about them going out of business. I worked for one of the stores in Atlanta
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2005, 08:04:54 AM »

Deedabeeda wrote:
> Blockbuster owns Movie Trading Company, so don't worry about
> them going out of business.

Same thing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2005, 12:31:36 PM »

Frankly, was anybody really worried?

Susan
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2005, 07:25:44 PM »

Deedabeeda wrote:

> Blockbuster owns Movie Trading Company, so don't worry about
> them going out of business. I worked for one of the stores in
> Atlanta

I guess in the past couple of years, they didn't used to. They are buying everyone out.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Blockbuster « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.