Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:59:00 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Space" Marines « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Space" Marines  (Read 4754 times)
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« on: January 04, 2005, 07:22:22 AM »

It seems in earths future, when man has finally made cities on planets and what not our loveable leathernecks or someone in charge of the military decide to put "Space" in front of Marines. Ive seen in alot of mediums of entertainment that involves some military action in space decide to use this. the only movie I can think of that avoids this is "Aliens" instead of Space Marines thier called Colonial Marines.

Can you guys name some more examples of were space marines is used? and why do think someone would label them space marines? I rarely see space navy or army being thrown around.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Wence
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:49:15 AM »

In SciFi-Movies they talk about fleets (the Imperial Fleet, Zarth Arn´s Fleet, the Cylon´s Fleet) or about Ships (Destroyers, Imperial Battleships) so this is the reason why they talk about Space Marines.

An other point is the english "Warhammer-40k"-Game that has inspired many films (like Alien II - I think). Many games like Warhammer40k or StarQuest are based on a fight between bad Aliens and good Space Marines. For this games have many fans it is near that it has an influence on films, too.

Look for "GamesWorkshop" in the web if you´re interested on more detail...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 07:55:47 AM »

About the earliest use of space marines I can think of would be the second Star Blazers series, with the Comet Empire. I suspect the term is likely much older than that. It has the ring of old-time science fiction - probably coined by an author in the 40s or 50s. Anybody know an earlier example?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Wence
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 08:08:27 AM »

AndyC, Richi Andrini - are you Europeans or what? This time most Americans should be in bed... not?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 08:32:25 AM »

The mobile infantry from "Starship Troopers" were more like Marines, in that they were meant to create a beachhead upon landing from space.  Also, they had absolutely no supporting arms.  That was one glaring problem for me.

Remember the old "Space Above and Beyond" show.  That was interesting use of "Space Marines."  In one episode they were flying the hammerhead fighters, in the next they were conducting guerrilla raids.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 09:39:26 AM »

I remember going to the theater to see the much anticipated STARSHIP TROOPERS as it looked like a real gun-ho space film on the commercials. Initially I was dissappointed and surprised that it was attempting some sort of humor, but learned to like it alot after it came out on video.

Rich Andrini how did you like the film SPACE MARINES. Good?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 09:55:45 AM »

I'd thought about Starship Troopers, but discounted it because they weren't actually called space marines. But yeah, they are basically space marines by any other name. In that light, they're the earliest example I know. I do wonder if there aren't any WW2-era pulp stories on the subject though.

---------------------
AlexB
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 10:09:09 AM »

Andrew wrote:

> The mobile infantry from "Starship Troopers" were more like
> Marines, in that they were meant to create a beachhead upon
> landing from space.  Also, they had absolutely no supporting
> arms.  That was one glaring problem for me.
>
Andrew,

Take a look at just about any SF movie involving military. In the future NOBODY has supporting arms. Battles are decided by hand held direct fire weapons, at a range of about 50 yds. At most they have some kind of tripod mounted AA/heavy MG thingy, but never EVER area effect weapons, such as mortars or rocket launchers. Artillery preparation and Close Air Support become lost arts.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 10:17:12 AM »

never seen it Scott but now its on my list :).

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 10:27:35 AM »

Space Marine Rich Andrini reporting from New York City.)

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 10:39:47 AM »

I know I've run into them in an older science fiction story or book.  It could be something by Heinlein, or maybe Doc Smith.  I'll try to wrack my brain.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »

Oh, you must see STARSHIP TROOPERS.

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 11:02:55 AM »

yeah seen starship troopers and seen the direct to video one too.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 11:51:53 AM »

The mobile infantry, at least in Heinlein's book, were a little different, in that they were wearing what amounted to walking tanks, armed with a variety of weapons, including small nukes. And I recall they had rockets to fly short distances. They really fulfilled multiple roles on the battlefield, and had less need for support.

Of course, that wasn't the case in the ST movie, where Earth had little more than a bunch of soldiers with rifles. Seems even weirder when they took the time to make up bug versions of tanks, antiaircraft guns and other weapons they didn't give the humans. Sloppy.

---------------------
Ed
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 03:04:56 PM »

I had an anthology of "Powered Armor" related short stories.   In there, I recall a story from the golden age of SciFi, and there was a reference to "Space Marines" in there.  Pity the book is long gone, and I'm unable to confirm my memory.
Overall, I thought the name referred to a shipboard fighting force, analogous to the original use of marines in the Royal Navy (and maybe now as well) , but carrie don starships.  
-Ed
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Space" Marines « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.