Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:37:42 PM
714378 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  $3 DVDs at Wal-mart « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $3 DVDs at Wal-mart  (Read 2203 times)
Menard
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:43:56 PM »

I was at Wal-mart today when I came across a rack of $3 DVDs. These are in cardboard sleeves like the dollar DVDs. Looks like mostly straight to video stuff. I picked up two horror movies called 'Near Death' and 'Hobbs End'. These were the only horror titles I found. There were a few Sci-fi titles, but the majority was action and drama.

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:03:04 PM »

Just went to Wal-mart around noon and saw their $3.00 DVD's. I didn't pick any up, but I did pick some up at Best Buy and a couple more at Amazing Savings. Here is what I picked up:

At Best Buy in Cardboard sleeves:

The Corpse Vanishes - $1
The Ghoul - $1
The Phantom Ship - $1

At Amazing Savings

The Big Trees - $1
Drums of the Deep South - $1

Also returned a defective DVD called THE GUN AND THE PULPIT at ACME and replaced it with another copy of THE GUN AND THE PULPIT. By the way ACME dropped their $2 DVD's down to a $1 were I live.

Post Edited (01-04-05 15:05)

Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 04:10:21 PM »

Oh I forgot my BEST OF BOXCAR WILLIE CD from Walmart that i bought. Now this is a neat thing as the 2 CD collection also comes with a DVD about Steamengine Railroads that is an hour in length. You know what would be neat is if all DVD's had audio CD disk that came with the movie. So you could listen in the car. Just focusing on the dialogue and sounds from the film in your spare time.

Menard
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »

I have a PAL DVD of Fulci's 'Zombie' (actually this one has it titled by an alternative title 'Zombie 2' and its Italian title 'Gli Ultimi Zombi'). One cool bonus on this DVD is two music soundtracks. One is the soundtrack from the movie which you can select the individual tunes if you want. The other is 30 tracks of remixes some band did. Its like getting the movie and 2 CDs on one DVD. For anybody interested, I believe this is from a DVD distibution called Shock Video or Shock DVD. It is a Region 2 PAL DVD with printing and onscreen menus in German. It does have an English soundtrack option.

Scott

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 09:35:01 PM »

Wow, interesting. That may be the next big thing. Sometimes I wouldn't mind listening to just movie sound and dialogue without the images. I think you would learn something from it.

Menard
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 09:58:24 PM »

Well, you could do that with the picture blanked. I meant the music from the movie is on the DVD as, I believe, 11 tracks as a seperate menu choice, and there is a remix album of 30 tracks of the movie music on the DVD. Basically, I don't have to go out and buy a seperate CD of the music if I just wanted to listen to the music. And the remixes are interesting too. It's truly an international DVD: the printing is German; it's coded region 2 PAL (I believe Germany uses region 3 NTSC but don't quote me on that); it has an English insert; it is produced by a Japanese company; and it uses the Italian title. I mostly use it for the music since I have the Shriek Show 2 disc set for viewing, which interestingly enough uses the European release title 'Zombi 2'.

Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 10:17:03 PM »

You could, but if I knew the picture was nearby I'd want to see it and distract from the sounds of the film.

Menard
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 10:28:29 PM »

The picture itself is distracting enough. I was once in a meeting and we had this playing on the big screen (it would take too long to explain why). Nobody was focusing on the meeting (this was when Auretta Gay goes swimming), so it had to be stopped. Then nobody was interested in the meeting ( :

Yaddo 42
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:15:43 AM »

I saw those $3 discs at Wally World recently, but they seem to have removed it by the next time I came back about a week later. Nothing in the selection really caught my eye.

I figure I'll grab a few films out of the $5.50 bookshelf there next time, maybe "Barabas", "The Cheap Detective", or Battle Creek Brawl" if they still have a copy. Maybe time to check the $1 stores again, one of the discs I bought earlier advertised "Samurai Reincarnation" starring Sonny Chiba. I'd like to find that one, since I also bought "Shogun's Samurai/The Yagyu Conspiracy" back during the X-mas shopping days.

I'd love a soundtrack option on DVDs rather than watching a movie, finding out I love the music, THEN trying to find the soundtrack disc especially if the film is old or offbeat. I've seen some anime discs for sale packaged with the soundtrack, but it's rarely a title I want or else it's a title that I don't figure out that I like the music until after I've bought the standalone DVD. Maybe rather than so many pointless, ego massaging, watch them once features on extras discs in deluxe editions they could include just the soundtrack CD. I've seen a few 3+ disc packages offering the soundtrack but the prices is usually north of $40 and it's rarely for films I want to own that badly.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  $3 DVDs at Wal-mart « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.