Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:28 PM
713367 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Greatest Arcade Games  (Read 14174 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 06, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »

Trying to come up with a list of the greatest arcade games of the 80s, or at least the ones everybody wasted the most time on. Are there any classics that hold special memories for anyone?

For the purpose of this, I suppose the 80s can include the late 70s and maybe the early 90s. But I'm really looking for classics of the golden age of the arcade. No console games, PC games or anything more recent than about 92.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:40:04 PM »

I have a special love for Gyruss, Dig Dug (I was horrible but it was fun game anyway), Disks of Tron, and Punch Out.  I also wasted hundreds of quaters in the ringinal "pay to continue" game, Gauntlet.  

Ed
"Warrior Needs Food Badly"
Menard
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:44:46 PM »

Commando, Joust, and Defender. Defender was the game they had at the Minit Mart where I lived and a group of us would gather and take turns playing the game. Commando was one I would play at the mall arcade regularly. I ran into Joust at a campus arcade and became hooked. Joust is truly a carpel tunnel inducer. But my true love in arcade games has always been pinball. There is a book available called 'Arcade Fever' which covers the top 50 games of that period. The book is available at a clearance price of around $6 at edwardrhamilton.com .

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »

I spent the most money on GALAXIA around 1983 and GAUNTLET about 1985. We own the Nitendo 64 arcade version of GALAXIA and all the other classics.

Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:08:45 PM »

That reminds me of my favorite Christmas present this year.  It is called Midway Arcade Treasures (for the PC).  It contains Joust, Gauntlet, Paperboy, Defender, Spyhunter, Rampage,Tapper, Sinistar, 720 degrees and a bunch of others I have never played.  As far as I can tell they are all perfect emulators.

The main reason I wanted it was for Gauntlet.......I still remember blowing an entire week's allowance in about 15 minutes playing that game when I was a kid.  

"Elf needs food, Badly!"
"Wizard is about to die"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 11:53:11 PM »

This was the money pit for myself, when I was younger.  I just made a joke about this the other day, which none of my Marines "got."  Darn whipper snappers.

"Green Elf shot the food."

"Damn it Green Elf!  Oh, hey, that's me..."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
daveblackeye15

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 12:52:55 AM »

Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 I guess.

Pac Man is a classic

And so is Dragon's Lair. This was an odd game where you played a knight that would travel through different rooms but when something would flash that would mean you had to move the controler in that dirrection either do strike with you sword or move. It was like one big animated movie and was very cool. I remember the first time I played it the game starts at the castles' bridge the character starts to move across it and then a tenticale comes out and wraps around him and he dies then the game said "Game Over". When that happened I was like "WFT!?" and it caused me to think back to an episode of the Simpsons when the episode starts at the Arcade and Milhouse's game has a sea guy take a few steps across the dock and it pauses and then it says "Game Over".

That was pretty funny.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 07:59:28 AM »

These are all great games. The reason I'm asking is that I've been looking for a winter project, and couldn't decide between fixing up an old PC I've got in the basement or doing some woodworking. Decided to put them together and build a MAME cabinet for the games room I'm planning.

For those who aren't familiar with MAME, it's an emulator that runs the software from the original arcade machines. As I understand, the games are copied out of the ROM on the old boards. Does everything the arcade games did, right down to requiring you to hit a key to insert coins. Just recently got into this, and it is amazing. But it is hard to play on a keyboard, so I'm going to do what lots of people have done and build an arcade machine replica with PC guts to play these games properly.

As for my old favourites, I did most of my playing in the sub shop downtown. For some reason, arcades never lasted too long in our small town. I used to spend loads of quarters on Exciting Hour, R-Type, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, 1942, and Gauntlet (don't know if I can afford to build a four-player machine for that one though). The shop had two or three machines that changed every few months. Always had a crowd.

Playing these games sure brings back memories. Starting up Exciting Hour was like being back in high school, and it didn't take long for all the moves to come back to me. I just couldn't stop smiling. It was magical.

Post Edited (01-07-05 10:07)

---------------------
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 08:07:57 AM »

Man, you guys sure are brining back a lot of memories.  Here are some of my favorites:

Reactor
Spyhunter
Robotron
Defender (Loved the huge amount of buttons on this one)
Galaxia
Joust
Rampage
Donkey Kong
Bank Panic (YES!)

One of my most hated though, has got to be PacMan.  I know it's a classic and quite possibly one of the most successful games of all time, but it just isn't my thing.  It's too damn hard.  My wife can still sit and play it for hours on those new self contained joystick things that you plug into your TV.

As for a Mame box, that's a fantastic idea Andy.  I love seeing when people go all out with one of those.  Please include pics if you do make one.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 08:15:49 AM »

Rampage! I used to love that game. Really simple, but loads of fun.

---------------------
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »

I loved rampage. I remember playing that game for hours. I also remember Narc and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the Arcade.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 08:32:20 AM »

Rich,

Narc!  I can't believe I forgot that one!  I used to play it for hours on end at a local convience store.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 08:34:04 AM »

I was always partial to pinball (Pinbot, Earthshaker...oh yeah...) but the one arcade game that made me go berserk was Tempest. I wasted so much time and money on that game. There was a deli about 5 miles from my house that had this game and one of my friends and I would ride our bikes there and waste a ton of quarters on our addiction. A few years ago I saw a Playstation game that contained numerous old Atari games and Tempest was one of them. I bought it without hesitation and couldn't wait to play. I was disappointed when I played it because it's just not the same without standing in front of the console and having the spinning control knob to move around the shapes. If anyone has played this game, you'll probably understand what I mean. The spinning knob was really central to the excitement and productivity on that game.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
dean
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 08:37:32 AM »

I'm a bit young to get onto the whole 80's arcade game thing properly, but alot of the early to mid 90s stuff was also pretty fun, especially japanese made ones.

I do remember a shooting game called chiller which was quite intriguing and odd which involved shooting different objects within a time limit, most of which were horror-based [zombies, witches, scenes of torture and whatnot]

I also loved all those 'Final Fight' style fighting games, and those jetfighter ones [the names completely out of my mind at the moment] with lots of lasers and just plain insane amount of enemy and ally fire flying about.  Also can't go past ones like Street Fighter 2 and Marvel vs Capcom.

Good stuff with the Mame idea, at one point I was considering doing that with my old PC, but I didn't 1:know how 2:have the time or money to be worrying about it 3:the soundcard was busted and I am too lazy to fix it.

Do you know of any good links or info on how to get the materials or how to build these wonderful contraptions. [like finding the right knobs and buttons and such] because this has rekindled my interest!
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »

Yeah Narc was sweet. Nothing like blowing away drug dealers. I think it was a influence for me becoming a cop.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.