Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:54 PM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Greatest Arcade Games  (Read 14177 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 08:41:58 AM »

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember reading a while back that Narc is getting remade into a PS2 "GTA" style third person game.

If I recall correctly, you are an undercover cop that can use herion or other drugs to get extra strength throughout the game.  I think it eventually leads to drug addiciton though.

No I'm not joking.  Bad idea.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:45:28 AM »

yeah marvel vs capcom is one of the newer arcade games but I loved that game more so I liked the second one. noone could beat me with rogue sakura and psylocke.(I picked women cause it was element of surpirse to the other played. mans old notion of women cant fight apparently extends to games also.)

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 08:49:51 AM »

yeah I heard about the Skaboi. You could be a good cop and give in the drugs as evidence or take yourself and get a extra boost but brings down your cop rating. Last thing I heard it was in limbo cause of the content. It sounded kind of stupid to me.

Post Edited (01-07-05 07:50)

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 08:53:11 AM »

Another good game I just remembered was streets of rage. I dont remember if it was in the arcade but I had it for sega genesis.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 09:21:38 AM »

There are quite a few good sites. Seems a lot of people who build these things take the time to document the project in some detail.

Probably the best starting point is www.arcadecontrols.com

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
saintmort
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 09:45:49 AM »

I remember my uncle was pretty damn wealth and his basement had all this Acarde crap in it. Mostly Pinball machines that were great (funhouse, Elvira, indiana jones) but the best was the Aliens Acarde game. He had a jar of quarters next to that game I remember spending like an entire day down there just popping coins in playing it like mad  until I finally beat it. What a great movie based video game.

I also recall shovelling out alot of coinage at chucky cheese on the Simpsons arcade game and at least one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (i really need to fix my original NES)

I know this is past 92 but I used to rock the Area 51 game because my friend showed me the trick of if you shot only the humans in the first level you turn into an alien.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 10:56:39 AM »

That's the beauty of building your own controls. You can have the proper controls for each game. Some of the panels are pretty amazing, with eight-way joysticks for some games, four-way joysticks for others, a trackball, a spinner, a flight stick, light guns, and up to eight buttons per player, all on one machine.

---------------------
Master Blaster
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 11:17:45 AM »

The last time I walked into an arcade I was frightened. I saw these kids standing on this platform dancing to this really bad Japanese Techno while these little pink fluffy cartoons went by on the screen. I guess it's what's popular now. Back in my day that'd be a good way to get your ass kicked.

My game of choice was Rastan. To this day I still have that friggin background music ringing in my head. Especially that cheezy chourus, hoo HOOOO!!!.

And I poured a small fortune into Galaga. Hell I'm still addicted to Galaga.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 11:29:26 AM »

Just found a ROM file for Tempest, out of curiosity. Amazing! MAME duplicates the old vector graphics perfectly. Wasn't sure how that would work on my monitor. That means Battlezone and Asteroids should look pretty good too.

The only drawback seems to be that games made for a vertical monitor look pretty small on a horizontal one. I'll probably have to put at least a 21-inch monitor in this machine, or use a 25-inch TV.

Post Edited (01-07-05 10:31)

---------------------
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 11:53:12 AM »

Andy,

I'd go with a 21 inch monitor.  It all depends on how you would hook it up to a TV.  I've hooked my computer to my TV on numerous occasions using S-video and standard RCA cables, and neither do a great job.  The picture is usually a bit grainy and the color is usually off.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 12:34:50 PM »

That was actually one reason why I was considering it. A PC monitor is quite a bit sharper than the old arcade machines. I was thinking that a TV might look more authentic with these lower-resolution games.

I'm leaning toward the monitor anyway, since it would likely be easier to set up with the computer. And it looks good on a monitor. I doubt the TV would make much difference for the better.

I just have to find a cheap used one. I know a guy who sells off-lease equipment. I might see if he's got a monitor with a banged up or discoloured case. Nobody will see it.

---------------------
Menard
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 01:41:59 PM »

There is a magazine published in England called Retro Gamer that can usually be found at larger bookstores that carry import magazines (Barnes & Noble, Hasings, Books-A-Million, etc.). Each issue covers arcade games, old systems (Commodore, Sinclair, etc.), emulators, etc. and comes with a CD of retro games and emulators for the PC. I have included the link to the website.

Retro Gamer Magazine

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 02:46:44 PM »

I was sorta addicted to one that I can't recall the name of now. But you were a cop chasing the bad guys and you had to stop them by ramming your car into the rear of theirs until it was disabled.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »

Cool. I've heard of that, and I think I've seen it in one of the stores around here.

I've also located what could be a very helpful book, and my local Chapters store apparently has three copies in stock, so I'm going to check it out later. I bet they also carry Retro Gamer.

---------------------
George
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »

Bosconian
Gorf
Tron
NARC
Dragon's Lair
Berzerk
Tempest

I loved all of these.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.