Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:18:41 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Greatest Arcade Games  (Read 14176 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2005, 09:10:02 PM »

>And so is Dragon's Lair. This was an odd game where you played a knight that
>would travel through different rooms but when something would flash that would
>mean you had to move the controler in that dirrection either do strike with you
>sword or move. It was like one big animated movie and was very cool.

The main problem with those "games" (Dragon's Lair's, Dragon Lair II, Space Ace) is that the movements you're required to make are the ones that the designers decided you should make, not necessarily the moves that make the most sense. For example, you might have to chop tentacle #1, but jump back to avoid tentacle #2, then hop sideways when tentacle #3 comes out. Most people will just try to chop all the tentacles, like in most games. A letter in a magazine once put it perfectly, "I wasted $10 in that game before I figured out that it was more fun to watch than to play".

BTW, not only have the Dragon's Lair games been released for modern computer systems, but there's also a 3D Dragon's Lair game, creatively called Dragon's Lair 3D.

>(don't know if I can afford to build a four-player machine for that one though)

One approach that I've heard of people using is to wire the controls to the guts of an old keyboard so that moving the control is like pressing that particular key. For example, wiring the left direction of the joystick to the contacts for the left arrow key. The advantage is that you don't need special drivers to handle the joysticks and you can use off-the-shelf Wico joysticks. Whatever you decide, you should at least include two sticks for two player games, and for the few games that require two sticks, like Crazy Climber and Robotron.

BTW, anyone interested in MAME should visit Free MAME ROMs.

Also, two good ROM sites are ROM World which claims to all the MAME ROMs online and ROM Nation. Both also have ROMs for several other systems.

>There is a magazine published in England called Retro Gamer

Check out these web-based retro-gaming magazines;

Retrogaming Times (80 issues, no longer updated)
Retrogaming Times (continuation of the above by some of the same authors)

Finally, the number one site for emulators for all systems, of all systems is Zophar's Domain.

>I was sorta addicted to one that I can't recall the name of now. But you were a
>cop chasing the bad guys and you had to stop them by ramming your car into
>the rear of theirs until it was disabled.

Sounds like Chase HQ.

Some of the arcade games I liked;

Arkanoid
Galaga
Gyruss
Outrun
Rastan
Space Harrier
Xevious
Zaxxon
Menard
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 11:49:45 PM »

Glad you mentioned that. Xevious is way cool too. For anybody like me (meaning too cheap to actually spend good money) there are these TV Games joysticks that just plug into your TV's AV jacks. I believe Xevious is available on the Ms. Pacman 5 in 1. Bosconian and Galaxian are available on the Pacman 5 in 1. There is also a 5 in 1 out with Rush'n Attack and Frogger on it.

JohnL

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2005, 01:29:17 PM »

>For anybody like me (meaning too cheap to actually spend good money) there
>are these TV Games joysticks that just plug into your TV's AV jacks.

I've seen those. Electronics Boutique, KB Toys and others have had them. They usually get mixed reviews. It's nice to have a small, self-contained unit with a variety of games on them, but there are usually only a couple really good games on each one and the rest are filler. Also, they sometimes include paddle/knob games like Breakout, but modified to use the joystick, so the playability sucks.

Actually, if you're truly cheap, you can just download the various emulators and then download the ROMs. If you know where to look, you can find pretty much the entire library of games online for the more popular ones (Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/7800, Colecovision, Timex Sinclair/ZX Spectrum, C64, Atari 8-bit, NES/Famicon, SNES/Super Famicon, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Masterdrive, Turbografx16/PC Engine, Amiga, Gameboy) and quite a bit of stuff for the less popular systems (Intellivision, BBC Micro, Atari ST, Odyssey II, Bally Astrocade, Amstrad CPC, Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance, Sega Gamegear, MSX, etc).

There are even emulators for newer systems like the Playstation and Nintendo 64, however from what I've seen, they're not nearly as well developed or compatible as the ones for the systems above. In fact, the one time I tried a bunch of N64 emulators, I couldn't even get Mario 64 to run.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2005, 01:50:45 PM »

Just as JohnL mentioned, there are numerous PS1 and N64 emus out there.   I never really had many problems with the N64 emus except that it's extremely hard to play Goldeneye with a keyboard. :)

As for PS1, I'd recommend Bleem.  I dunno if Bleem is still out, but it let you play PS1 games in your regular computer CD-Rom.  I have a feeling though that SCEA put a end to that.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2005, 02:31:56 PM »

Marble Madness
Crystal Castles
Track n Field
Jungle Hunt

all great games
JohnL

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2005, 03:29:58 PM »

>Just as JohnL mentioned, there are numerous PS1 and N64 emus out there. I
>never really had many problems with the N64 emus except that it's extremely
>hard to play Goldeneye with a keyboard. :)

What would you recommend as the best N64 emulator? As for using the keyboard, don't they let you use a joystick or other controllers?

>As for PS1, I'd recommend Bleem. I dunno if Bleem is still out, but it let you play
>PS1 games in your regular computer CD-Rom. I have a feeling though that
>SCEA put a end to that.

There were two commercial PS1 emulators, Bleem! and VGS. Both were sued/harassed out of business by Sony. I've seen copies of both floating around the net. Neither was 100% perfect emulation of the PS1. Bleem! supposedly had some grpahic glitches with many games, like having white boxes around objects. VGS was supposed to be a little better for some games, but still wouldn't run everything.

Unfortunately, it looks like most of the PD ones have been discontinued.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »

I never used VGS, although I remember hearing about it a while back.

I used Bleem! back when PS1s were still around.  I used to play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater with it.  Unfortunatly at the time I had on board video (archaic isn't it?) and couldn't use Bleem! to it's fullest.  It still ran pretty well.  It didn't crash much and the graphics were decent.

My favorite N64 emulators were "NEmu" and "Project64".  Both were fairly stable and ran a good number of games.  The two I played mostly were Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros.

Both had the ability to play using a joystick, but I only have a keyboard and mouse.  I'm a huge gamer but mainly only RTS or FPS games, so I don't have much use for anything other than key/mse.  

I do now have an adaptor for a PS2 controller that hooks in through USB that a co-worker gave to me for Christmas.  I have yet to hook it up being as the drivers are on a floppy and I still refuse to install a floppy drive on my PC.  Eventually I'll get around to it.

Out of all the emulators for every system though, I'd have to say that NeoRageX is by far my favorite.  It's a fantastic emulator and I'm sure I'm not the only one on the board to have used it.  Really brings back memories of playing Samurai Showdown and Metal Slug in the arcades.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2005, 06:47:14 PM »

Yea, Gauntlet was a biggie for me also, but I also remember playing Defender and Sinistar.  Sinistar was one of my favorite you had to kinda blast away at him then he would come at you if you didn't do it fast enough. As far as most money spent it was defenately Galaxia.

JohnL

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »

>I never used VGS, although I remember hearing about it a while back.

It's floating around the P2P networks.

>I used Bleem! back when PS1s were still around. I used to play Tony Hawk's
>Pro Skater with it. Unfortunatly at the time I had on board video (archaic isn't it?)
>and couldn't use Bleem! to it's fullest. It still ran pretty well. It didn't crash much
>and the graphics were decent.

I have VGS and Bleem!, but don't have any PS1 games to try on it. I'd like to get Silent Hill though. They released all the rest for somputers, but not the first one!

>My favorite N64 emulators were "NEmu" and "Project64". Both were fairly stable >and ran a good number of games. The two I played mostly were Goldeneye >and Super Smash Bros.

I'll have to try them. I have a bunch of N64 ROMs that I grabbed off one of the newsgroups a few months back when someone decided to post the *COMPLETE* N64 ROM list.

>Both had the ability to play using a joystick, but I only have a keyboard and
>mouse. I'm a huge gamer but mainly only RTS or FPS games, so I don't have
>much use for anything other than key/mse.

I like the mouse for FPS games, but for space or driving games I prefer a joystick. Unfortunately, I don't have a gameport at the moment. I've seen a USB adaptor at Radio Shack, but it says it's not 100% compatible with all the fancy features on programmable controllers. I don't have any fancy controllers, but I've been thinking I might want to get one eventually. I'll probably end up getting a cheap game port card.

>I do now have an adaptor for a PS2 controller that hooks in through USB that a
>co-worker gave to me for Christmas. I have yet to hook it up being as the drivers
>are on a floppy and I still refuse to install a floppy drive on my PC. Eventually I'll
>get around to it.

I like having a floppy drive. Someone I know got a new Dell recently, with no floppy drive. There are times I want to take a small text file, list of URLs, etc, over there, but I don't want to waste a CD for a couple hundred K. I usually end up emailing them instead. I suppose I could get one of those USB thumb drives, but I never had enough need for one before.

>Out of all the emulators for every system though, I'd have to say that NeoRageX
>is by far my favorite. It's a fantastic emulator and I'm sure I'm not the only one on
>the board to have used it. Really brings back memories of playing Samurai
>Showdown and Metal Slug in the arcades

I've only ever seen a couple Neo Geo games. The one multi-game machine that the local arcade had, required two tokens a game, so I usually passed it up in favor of the single-token games.
Dave Munger
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2005, 07:14:09 PM »

I think I brought up my centipede wizard days in another topic. I was also quite partial to Beezer, and hearby gratuitously link to the post I made about that on my blog:

http://davemunger.blogspot.com/2004/02/at-last-i-have-proof-that-there-was.html

Played a lot of Q*Bert, just read a description of the game the other day that makes me realize how bad I am at it, I've never seen a whole buch of the things that are supposed to try to kill you on the higher levels. Anyway, I managed to find an online version that my 'puter will let me play, and that came up on the blog too:

http://davemunger.blogspot.com/2004/06/can-anyone-figure-out-how-to-play-this.html

That link is really gratuitous, because I could have just linked to the game.
JohnL

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2005, 11:07:41 PM »

>I was also quite partial to Beezer

Beezer is listed as one of the games MAME now supports.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 09:22:46 AM »

Picked up the first major component of the MAME box. Went to see the used equipment dealer I know, and got a 21" monitor for $60. He just happened to have one that was handled a bit roughly. It has a cracked bezel and a broken base, but is otherwise OK. Perfect for me, since all but the screen will be covered.

Now, I just need to track down a suitable motherboard, and order my arcade components. But first, I need to pay a $500 garage bill.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2005, 09:29:17 AM »

AndyC,

What type of processor are you looking for?  Most of the time if you want a cheaper motherboard that'll run decently, try a Soyo.  I had one in another computer and it worked great with the P4 I had in it.  I replaced it with an Elite motherboard with a new, faster P4 and the new motherboard is currently dead....should have stuck with the Soyo.

JohnL,

You're missing out on NeoGeo.  Fantastic games.  Some of them are great actioners such as Shock Troops, Metal Slug.  Also some of the best fighting games around.  But, as with all Japanese media, there are quite a few strange games.....

If you're curious about NeoGeo or any other console check out:

http://mobygames.com

Neville

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2005, 09:46:02 AM »

I love emulators! I only had an Amstrad CPC when I was a kid and in the recent years I've been using them a lot, trying to catch up with the other people who had consoles. My fave emulator is WinUAE (CBM Amiga). Loce to play Lotus or Turrican in my PC. It is a little difficult to get it working (that is, unless you visit www.back2roots.org), but emulation is almost flawless.

I play N64 and PSX as well (try 1964 and ePSX: they're the best for these two systems), but lately I am mostly into arcade. MAME is fantastic! I just can't get enough of those old Konami (Green Beret, Yie ar Kung-Fu) and Sega (After Burner, Out Run, Golden Axe or Thunder Blade) games. Those particular Sega titles were my favourites when I was on my teens, together with both Operation Wolf, Operation Thunderball and Cabal.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2005, 11:49:02 AM »

Already have a lead on a used 900MHz Pentium 3 CPU and board, for about the same price I paid for the monitor.

Considered putting a new board in it, but decided against it for a couple of reasons. A P3 should be more than up to the job, and I have ample SDRAM lying around here without a purpose. A new board would require me to buy DDR. Even without buying RAM, I'd be looking at quite a bit more money for even a cheap board and processor. The more I save on the guts, the more breathing room I have on the special bits, like joysticks. I've got to keep this within a reasonable budget or my wife will kill me :)

Still wrestling with the question of whether I can save any worthwhile amount on my control interface by hacking a cheap keyboard, or should I just order a specialized encoder for 40 or 50 bucks. Based on everything I've read, I'm leaning toward the latter. Less work, fewer problems.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.