Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:03:05 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Greatest Arcade Games  (Read 14338 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2005, 09:46:42 AM »

>Are you kidding JohnL? Most MSX games work fine with cursors+space.

Nope. Looking at some of the games I have, Elite, Xevious, Zaxxon, etc, I can't imagine playing any of them using the keyboard. For the record, I also hate gamepads, in equal measure because they're all left-hended and because (the older ones anyway) they use directional buttons rather than a joystick.

>Actually, many original MSX users preferred to used those instead of joysticks.

Yes, and according to many articles I've read, using a mouse is the best way to play Breakout type games, but I still prefer a paddle/knob controller. In fact, it's for this very reason that I prefer the C64 version of Arkanoid (on a real C64) to the Amiga version. Too bad they removed paddle support from the sequel.

I've also heard people claim that the mouse is the best controller for playing Elite. I spent one afternoon trying to learn to play the Amiga version with the mouse and gave up in disgust. I also had no luck using the keyboard.

As for playing action games with the keyboard; It's too hard to quickly change direction, since you have to deal with four separate keys for movement and use two at a time for diagonals. With a joystick, you just move your hand in the direction you want to go.

>About loading MSX games, it is very easy. Just folow these steps:

Thanks for the advice, I've saved it for future reference.
AD
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2005, 07:11:20 AM »

My favorite game was the Double Dragon series, I first played it on the Master System and then played it on the arcade, neo-geo and so-forth.

I've also played all the sequels, including the crappy 3rd installement and that  abbhorent streetfighter clone (the 5th one).  I recently had a go of the Game Boy Advance version (DDAdvance) and I realised that it was just the same as DD with elements of Super Double Dragon put in it.

DD was really big for us kids, mainly because in every fight at school all the kids at our school would always use the "knee to the stomach" move that the DD twins used - but it soon ended when somebody learnt tocounteract this by watching that guy who looks like a Morlock with the purple hair/trousers.

But all the sequels were pretty crappy and just more of the same.

I was also attracted to that River City Ransom game, but I didn't like how there wasn't a "big" villian, just two twin dragon punks who kidnapped a girl for some reason.

I also liked Commando, and its really crappy Amiga clone "SAS Combat simulator"  - but after playing X levels of doing the same thing it really got boring.

I also played a lot of "Project X" on the amiga, which is still amazing - even today and "Sensible World of Soccer - which is, IMO, still the best football management game today.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »

>I also liked Commando, and its really crappy Amiga clone "SAS Combat
>simulator"

Commando actually came out for the Amiga, although I guess the port wasn't very well known. It was done by Elite, who used to make good games, but they kind of dropped the ball with it. The graphics were fine and it played ok, but it had slow, wimpy music. The C64 version was better just because of the music. They also ported Speed Buggy/Buggy Boy to the Amiga and it plays ok, but for some reason, you never get the same impression of speed you do from the C64 version.

>I also played a lot of "Project X" on the amiga, which is still amazing - even today

I've never played this. I downloaded a copy a while back, but never got around to trying it. I think it was like 7 disks.

I've always thought the Amiga version of R-Type was great. Of course I can't get past the first level without unlimited lives, but I still like it. Everyone claims the sequel has better graphics, but to me, they look more cartoony.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Greatest Arcade Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.