Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:16:18 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  which sci fi movie takes place the farthest in the future? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: which sci fi movie takes place the farthest in the future?  (Read 10794 times)
lester1/2jr
« on: January 08, 2005, 02:34:44 PM »

I'm not a big sci fi guy but do enjoy the genre.  I was wondering what movie takes place at the latest date in the future.  I mean, Orwell didn't do to good with 1984.  Ar there any movies or shows or even books that take place in like    1,000,000 A.D.? like 998,000 years from now? later?
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »

I don't remember the exact amount, but the original version of The Time Machine racked up a pretty impressive display on his date counter.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »

I'm not a fan of the Warhammer series but I believe that takes place WAY in the future.  The year 40,000 if I'm not mistaken.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Dave Munger
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 04:59:31 PM »

I was going to start a whole topic on this, but this seems like an OK place to bring it up. I think that movies set in the future are almost always supposed to be further in the future than they say for some reason, so there should be a formula, like you add a zero to the date they say. Maybe when a screenplay is set in one million AD, they usually change it to 2012 or something, so that's why they have insanely advanced technology in the near future so much (immortality, anti-gravity, FTL space travel, teleportation, androids that pass for human, etc)

http://davemunger.blogspot.com
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 08:49:05 PM »

Wow 40,000 into the future ! I think they probably forgot about us by then. Image where man might or might not be in 40,000 years.

Menard
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 10:33:37 PM »

I know WARHAMMER 40K is a game series published by Games Workshop, but did they actually make a movie about it?

lester1/2jr
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 09:36:10 AM »

Isn't the sun supposed to blow up in 5 million years or something?  Imagin if no one did anything! that'd be just like us "oh were we supposed to have a plan?"
Gadziller
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 10:31:53 AM »

What about  George Pal's "The Time Machine"?  Rod Taylor travels 800,000 years into the future. That's a looooong time from now, eh?

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 05:31:46 PM »

That would be the original "Time Machine." I don't know how far, but the remake also went a great distance into the future. Which I believe created some criticism on how scientifically accurate the film was. For example, would people still be speaking perfect English that far into the future?

Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 11:39:37 AM »

Ya want a loooooong time frame? Try junior high school cafiteria.
And no pizza burgers in sight!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Ed
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

Dune is over 30,000 years in the future, I think.
Ed
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 09:53:43 PM »

How far forward was Asimov's "Foundation" series?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dave Munger
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 08:53:29 PM »

Sun's supposed to go in about 5 billion years, I think.
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 07:32:32 AM »

The Sun is halfway through it's 10 billion year life-cycle but  before that, at some point before that though, Sol will expand to over 100 times its current size engulfing the inner planets before finally exhausting all its fuel and becoming a brown dwarf... I think.

Wasn't the original Dune like 10,000 years but then progressed quite a lot with the last book being several thousand years after that?

The Foundation series was a lway forward... I don't think they said how exactly far though. It was sufficiently far ahead though, that people had actually forgotten about Earth. As in - there were all kinds of myths about it... people found it hard to believe that we all came from one planet. It was certainly thousands of years into the future.

Although, I can see why people are so loathe to set something more than a few hundred years into the future. It's a world that just gets so far from everything you know, you might as well start with a whole new history etc. Also, given the past thousand years it's fair to say that predicting what the world will be like then is very hard.

I think someone said, that a few decades ago, you had authors writing about might galaxy spanning empires in the distant future but now, it's a struggle for sci-fi authors to say something even a few years into the future.
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 08:30:16 AM »

OH MY GOD! We're all doomed when the sun is finished! Why did you guys have to start discussing this now, you've ruined my day...I'm going to sit here and worry about this for the next 5 billion years!

Anyway...Slightly off topic here but I'm often amused when I watch a movie that was set in the future but I'm watching it the year it was supposed to be or later. An example is Escape From NY. It was set in 1997 or 99 (I think) and although there wasn't any wild technology in that movie, society was way different. Manhattan island was converted into a prison, funny stuff.  I also find the old analog style meters and gauges that they use on spaceships, such as on the original Star Trek series, funny. These things don't make movies bad but it's always fun to see someone's idea of how things will be and how different things really are.

Post Edited (01-12-05 08:15)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  which sci fi movie takes place the farthest in the future? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.