Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:14:39 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battlestar Gallactica (2003) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Battlestar Gallactica (2003)  (Read 13468 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »

The MkII in the new series is a really old ship. In the miniseries Apollo flies his Dad's ship from the first Cylon war 40 years before.  They brought a whole squadron on board for the museum and Adama made the comment he hadn't seen one in 20 years.  The MkVII  is the one being used until the Cylon scrambles their computers and wiped them out.

They also made the point that the Galactica was the only Battlestar left from the last war, but they mention 30 Battlestars gettiing wiped out in the current attack. So I think the Galactica was the only one without networked computers and other low tech equipment to keep the Cylons from exploiting them.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »

Trek,

Did they mention that the Battlestar was the only one left from the original war?  I know that there is mention of apx. 30 other Battlestars being destroyed by the Cylon attack, I assumed they too were Battlestars from the original war.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
trekgeezer

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2005, 09:52:49 AM »

They did say she is the last of her kind,  I think all the others were newer models.

nobody
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 02:11:10 AM »

Alright, I just finished watching episodes 1 and 2- "33" and "Water"- and I've got to say I'm impressed. Very impressed.

Again, I never watched the original "Battlestar Galactica", so I don't know how the two versions compair, but this new version is unlike any science fiction show I've ever seen before. It doesn't appear to be the same tired old sci-fi garbage. I don't want to give away any spoilers for those of you who haven't seen tonights episodes... but the Galactica didn't encounter any spacial anomalies or crazy alien races. Both scripts revolved around humans being humans- trying hard to survive in the worst of conditions.

My only complaint would be, if I was forced to make one, that cylon "six", the attractive blonde who has the hots for Baltar, played the sexuality card a little too much. It seemed that every scene involving her had her kissing on some guy... but hopefully that'll get toned down a bit now that the writers have gotten the season openers out of the way.

Overall, I'll definitely be tuning in for next Friday's episode.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 07:53:30 AM »

Unfortuantly I did miss last night's episodes.  :(

I'm sure I'll catch a rerun by next week.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2005, 09:17:05 AM »

Yeah, Galactica has actually done what relatively few scifi shows have done before - essentially cut out the techno-babble and just made it a human drama, that happens to be set in space.

Baltar's character really is genius though - his relationship with the blonde is... rather physical but I think that's rather telling. It just gets better really. Quite a few cliffhanger episodes and continuity which is always good.

It's also - although not often openly - a very dark show, as some have pointed out. In the original it was as if they didn't really care that they were the only humans left alive - or at least it was never really dwelled upon.

I think in regards to the Galactica - it was the only one that was left from the first war, not the only that survived it... of course, you have to wonder what kind of crackpipes the designers were smoking when they made ships that were wide-open to Cylon's attack. Ok, the Cylons had some help - but still... they were tempting fate.
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »

I watched episode's 1 and 2 last night and I really enjoyed them.  I am excited to see what they do next.  

I did not get a chance to see the mini-series, so if anyone knows if and when it will be replayed next please let me know!  Thanks
nobody
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2005, 11:15:21 AM »

They're replaying the miniseries on sunday the 16th. Also, the DVD is out in stores now- and from what I hear the DVD contains a longer version of the show. Apparently sci-fi had cut it down to fit the time slot... but I'm not 100% sure on that. I don't own the DVD yet.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2005, 12:38:15 PM »

I watched big parts of two espisodes last night and was pretty underwhelmed

The moton-sickness inducing camera that's constantly bobbling up and down and sometimes out of focus is annoying, especially constantly for an hour.  They even did it for external shots...long shot of ships bouncing around...quick zoom to one ship bouncing around, close up of cockpit and characters bouncing around, internal shot of characters bouncing around.  I never quite figured out what the quick zoom was all about, from wide shot of many ships to tight shot of one ship; it never fit in with either the action or the dialog, just seemed gimmicky.  This seems a camera style picked up from NYPD Blue etc..but I've never liked it.  I suppose it's supposed to be like you are in the room there with them, but people don't move their eyes like that and your brain and eye compensate for the motion so you balance and focus *much* faster and smoother than these drunken camera shots.  The really silly part is that the external shots had that same bouncy effect but they were all CG and the bouncy-algorithm wasn't quite right so it was glaringly different from the internal live shots (and the bounciness for a wide-pan external shot *really* makes no sense)

The overcontrasted visuals.  Darks are dark, some lights are really light.  Shadows are deep so the lines and shadows in peoples clothes and faces (chin cheeks) are really contrasted.  I think this is supposed to make it look 'dark and gritty' but it looks more like they thought 'hey, all those dark and gritty cop drama shows do it so..we'll do it'.   Look around you...unless you just woke up in a bright room...life doesn't look like this.

The anachronisms.  Star Trek could get away with books and glasses.  Most shows can't.  These really looked out of place in the settings.  Even if these are 'humans', they are at least several hundered years culturally and technologically removed from earth.  Get them some contacts and some cool electronic books.  I can understand the desire of the 'romantisicm' but EJ Olmos room (especially with dark lighting, see above) looks like some grandmothers attic.

Too many sexual/romantic daliances.  I'm trying to watch the characters and hear the dialog and understand why people are doing what they are doing...I don't need the drunken camera man trying to constanty check out the cleveage of the blond female card player.  The doctor and his halfdressed-at-best blonde sidekick, the asian pilot and her chief (nice military protocol here)...sheesh..  Like watching an episode of 'The Young and the Worldless" (except for the two stuck on Caprica)

Overly-dramatic.  I can appreciate trying to be dramatic but these people take themselves way too seriously; and don't pull it off well.   Ok, pilot's looking at screen...screen confirms water...pilot says 'no water' and looks dazed and confused.  So we spend how much time between pilot's dazed face, computer screen, and detonator.  Round and round; screen,pilot,detonator...look, we all figured out where this was going by the second trip round; taking four more trips goes past 'tension' into 'get on with it already'  For the most part, though, everyone and everything was way too dour to be taken seriously; they seem more cliched of serious roles than actual people in a real situation.

Actually, 'cliched' would be my way of summing this all up.  A few nights ago I watched "Cybernator".  This was a movie chock full of cliches (government conspriacy, cop on the edge who's partner dies, cyborgs trying to take over the world)  Problem was, the people doing it didn't seem to really know hot to make the cliches work.   I got the same feeling whatching BG last night; the filmakers had whatched NYPD Blue and ER and CSI a lot and knew a lot of the cliches of 'modern dramatic film-making' but didn't really understand why or how to make them work and the result was more than a bit boring

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
nobody
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2005, 12:56:11 PM »

I'm actually a fan of the color scheme in BG. I liked going from extreme dark to extreme light. I thought it gave the film a crisp and clear appearance- a visual effect I haven't been over exposed to yet since I don't watch any of the cop shows you mentioned, Fearless Freep (or the billion other cop shows you didn't mention) :)
It reminded me of the one Spielberg movie I like- "Minority Report."

As for the jerky cameras, I have noticed that more and more directors are trying to pull that move. The first time I saw it myself was in "28 days later". I also noticed it in "Dawn of the Dead", too. Eventually it's sure to become the next "matrix cam" equivalent- very overused and very annoying- but right now, on BG, I didn't mind so much.
trekgeezer

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »

They had a special right before the two episodes called the Lowdown, in which one of the effects guys was showing how they made the hand held camera effect in the computer for the space battles.

I actually like the way they can just do an immediate 180 in the Vipers (very much like B5). The ships are very realistic looking and  I noticed in the Water episode that the port  landing bay was still showing the damage from the nuke that hit them in  the mini-series.  

This is an extremely good quality show and I hope it  continues to do well. Not enough quality science fiction on tv right now  (or at the movies).

Menard
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2005, 08:30:20 PM »

After the first series of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ended, there was a (short lived) second series (well really a continuation with different actors) in which they made it to present day Earth. A bad guy (played by none other than Richard Lynch) among their own, ends up in L.A. and they send in a fighter with two pilots to track him down. But, alas, he has traveled back in time to World War 2 (I guess to change the outcome). Since my memory of the few episodes I saw might not be that good, I could be a little off on my description. Also, does anybody recall the name of the other Battlestar that was commanded by (I believe) Lloyd Bridges which disappeared without a trace during a battle (apparently leaving it open as to what happened to it)?

trekgeezer

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2005, 08:54:24 PM »

Lloyd  Bridges was in command of the Battlestar Pegasus.  

The Galactica 1980 series starred Barry  Van Dyke and Kent McCord and was pretty pale in comparison to the original series.

They find Earth and  run around on flying mototcycles. The only two things I really remember are them approaching a scientist played by Robert  Reed by finishing his equations on a black board (sound familiar). The show also had a human Cylon, who crash lands on Earth during Halloween and winds up at costume party accompanied by a regular Cylon who goes beserk when some uses the microwave.  It lasted 10 episodes and those are the only memorable parts.

Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2005, 08:14:46 AM »

Yes, as I recall what happened was the original got cut and then they quickly rushed to make a new series when they found out how much trouble got kicked up. Needless to say, this faux pas didn't go down too well either.

Just another case of networks realising they made a bad decision, then following it up with an even worse one. Magic 8 balls could run a network better.
odinn7

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2005, 12:14:50 PM »

That series was just awful. I was a kid when this was on and the original BG was a show that I couldn't miss. When they found earth, I think that was the first time I was ever p**sed at the TV. I remember the flying motorcycles and...and...oh god, the horror...I remember the kids could jump fantastic distances. I never finished watching that series as I knew it wouldn't turn out the way I wanted...all of them to die.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battlestar Gallactica (2003) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.