Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:13:43 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battlestar Gallactica (2003) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Battlestar Gallactica (2003)  (Read 13474 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2005, 12:45:18 PM »

The original had great ratings and only got cancelled because the production  costs were  over a million per episode.  So they thought up a way to bring it back in a less costly form . Cheaper actors, they're on Earth so no costly alien sets.  Any space battles were done with stock footage, so no costly f/x.  You get what you pay for .

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flangepart

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2005, 02:23:57 PM »

Amen, Brothers.
GALATICA 1980 sucked vaccum. Realy.
There is a series i wanted to b***hslap with a spiked glove.

Havent seen the tape of the first two ephs, yet.
We shall see....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
JohnL

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2005, 04:52:24 PM »

>Baltar's character really is genius though - his relationship with the blonde is...
>rather physical but I think that's rather telling. It just gets better really.

That was my least favorite part of the show. I hated the whole "Harvey" story on Farscape, and I hate it here as well. Actually, I'm pretty sick of traitor type characters like Baltar. It's as if the writers are saying "We're not clever enough to make an interesting story that will stand on its own, so we have to have a traitor who will stir things up when it's convenient for the plot."

I also can't stand how everyone worships baltar as some kind of living god. It's like, "Doctor, since your IQ is *OBVIOUSLY* higher than everyone else's in the fleet combined, and you make the rest of us look like drooling morons who are lucky we have enough intelligence to remember to breathe, what do you think we should do?" Or "Thank god we have you to guide us simple-minded morons, who wouldn't even have sense enough not to walk out an airlock if it weren't for your golden words of wisdom!"

Since I know he's one of the regular cast members and they can't just shoot him, I really hope the writers find a way to expose him. Maybe have him become an open villain that they try to keep locked up.

>The moton-sickness inducing camera that's constantly bobbling up and down
>and sometimes out of focus is annoying, especially constantly for an hour.

I agree. I know they're trying for a documentary feel, but someone forgot to tell them that dramas and documentaries aren't the same thing.

>Overly-dramatic. I can appreciate trying to be dramatic but these people take
>themselves way too seriously; and don't pull it off well. Ok, pilot's looking at
>screen...screen confirms water...pilot says 'no water' and looks dazed and
>confused.

Spoiler:

There's a valid reason for that scene, which you might have missed, especially if you didn't see the miniseries. The pilot is a cylon. Didn't you notice that both she, and the one who came to rescue the guy on Caprica are played by the same actress? Another copy of her was shown at the very end of the miniseries, standing with all the other copies of the blonde cylon, the two male cylon models, etc. In the miniseries, the blonde cylon (number six) stated that there were cylon sleeper agents programmed to not only act human, but to think that they ARE human, until they're activated. She was the one who placed the bombs in the water tank, which is why she was all wet at the start of the episode. The reason she took so long to read the message on the screen is that there was a conflict between her human programming and her cylon programming.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2005, 06:26:44 PM »

The reason she took so long to read the message on the screen is that there was a conflict between her human programming and her cylon programming.

I knew that, not having even seen the whole episode.  It was fairly obvious what was going on.  Problem was, I don't think the director did a very good job of setting and maintaining the tension.  That scene dragged on and if they wanted the scene to be that long they needed to do something else other than just change between pretty much the same three camera shots.  That scene went from curious to tense to dull

Post Edited (01-17-05 17:50)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Mike Nelson
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2005, 06:43:39 PM »

I have also seen episodes 1 - 11, and i would like to say the series is really good so far,  yes there is quite a bit too much humpin and bumpin.   I'm excited to see where they take a few interesting subplots they have developed..
trekgeezer

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2005, 08:22:49 AM »

Baltar was the traitor in the original, although he was out in the open. The Cylons even gave him a Base Star to follow the fleet with.

I think in the original he was a member of the Council of  Twelve and a one time friend to Adama.  In later episodes they had captured him and were keeping him in a cell.

The Baltar in the new one has some pretty funny scenes in upcoming episodes.

Panpiper
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2005, 01:37:48 PM »

I am old enough to have been a teenager when the original series aired. I was a big fan at first, being very much a science fiction geek, especially back then. Ultimately though, the camp and corniness, the constant turning of things more to comedy than to drama, really started to wear on me. I lost interest in the series before it was canceled.

In my opinion, the new series is absolutely brilliant. It is exactly what the old series should have been right from the start. Again, in my opinion, the old series stinks big time in comparison. Those who bemoan that this new series is different from the old, those I understand not at all. Of course it is different. It is a better different.
Flangepart

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2005, 05:48:36 PM »

Well.....not as bad as i expected. I might give it a go.
Still, i say its on probation.
Does anyone else think the Cylons are looney tunes? Could it be they are a wacked out A.I. program that went all "Colossous" on their butts?
The "Ghod Talk" in "33" made me wonder how they ended up doing a number on their creators....a bit of "Nomad" here? Would that make Baltar "Jackson Roykirk?".

Hummm... heres a question....
How might you like to see the series end? Me, i like their last space jump, put them all in space...in front of Bablyon 5!
But, thats just me.

AD
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2005, 08:18:23 AM »

I don't like the character of Baltar  in this new version of BG, he cries too much and doesn't hold a candle to the original Baltar.
JohnL

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2005, 05:37:52 PM »

>Does anyone else think the Cylons are looney tunes?

Well they're not too bright if they only made 4-5 different human versions. I mean, how hard is it to vary height, skin tone, hair color, and facial features? Once the humans discover one of them, every copy of that particular model becomes useless.

I'd also like to see the robotic models actually do something other than stand around or a 10 second shot of one walking.
Flangepart

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2005, 05:41:55 PM »

The metal Cylons are the "Grunts" of the culture, i think.
Do they conciter themselves expendable, or are only the "Androids" smart enough for that?

trekgeezer

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2005, 09:27:52 PM »

Helo ( the guy stuck on Caprica) does a little battle with some of robotic types in an upcoming episode. They are evidently very expendible and just as easy to take out as the ones in the old series.

It was established by 6 in the miniseries that there were 12 human types of Cylons, so there are six  or more that haven't been seen yet.  The fleet is only aware of the two male types that  they had contact with.

I'm ahead of  most everyone here (except for anyone in the UK) and the Cylons are little heavy into the God thing.  They are up to something, but it is hard to say what.

JohnL

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2005, 06:43:12 PM »

>It was established by 6 in the miniseries that there were 12 human types of
>Cylons, so there are six or more that haven't been seen yet.

Even so, that's not very many.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2005, 07:45:33 PM »

I cant wait to watch it when it comes out in Australia...

I'm an Aussie.
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2005, 11:55:26 PM »

I can tell you - having now seen all 13 episodes that I think this is probably one of the best sci-fi shows of recent times. In terms of cohesiveness and just generally fitting together, I'd say B5 is its only real peer.

But man, oh man are there some cliffhangers.

The big metal Cylons seem to be pretty easy to waste - but presumably the guns that they have are specifically developed to kill them. Is it 12 types of human cylon? Hmm, I guess that gives them a fair bit to play with if the series goes on.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the series as much as I did.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battlestar Gallactica (2003) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.