Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:12:54 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WIP Flick: Sweet Sugar (1973) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WIP Flick: Sweet Sugar (1973)  (Read 2632 times)
Menard
« on: January 10, 2005, 02:44:51 AM »

Sweet Sugar (1973)

A.K.A. CAPTIVE WOMEN 3
A.K.A. CHAINGANG GIRLS
A.K.A. HELLFIRE ON ICE
A.K.A. SHE DEVILS IN CHAINS

SWEET SUGAR stars Phyllis Davis (TV series VEGAS) as Sugar who is set up for a drug possession. The local constabulary is corrupt and puts Sugar in a position (get your minds out of the gutter) to accept, as an easier sentence, a two year stint at a sugar plantation (what a coincidence).

The cast of characters who reside at the plantation with Sugar include:

Simone: The obligatory streetwise black lady well played by Ella Edwards (DETROIT 3000) who is a better actress than this film deserves.

Mojo: The not so obligatory convict who moonlights as a Voodoo priest played by Timothy Brown (GIRLS ARE FOR LOVING, M*A*S*H).

Dolores: The innocent skinny dipping 17 year old girl played by Pamela Collins (SO LONG, BLUE BOY)  for eye candy.

Burgos: The big mean head guard played by Cliff Osmond (INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS).

Dr. John: When we come to know Dr. John the words compassionate, intelligent, and manly are not words that come to mind. Dr. John is portrayed with a hilarious over-the-top performance by Angus Duncan (TV series GENERAL HOSPITAL).

Max and Ricky: The obligatory comic relief guards. Max peddles goods to the convicts while Ricky can't get laid even with an instuction book  (I am not kidding, in one scene he is trying to use an instuction book). Max and Ricky are played by Albert Cole (THE INCREDIBLE 2-HEADED TRANSPLANT) and James Houghton (TV series KNOTS LANDING) respectively.

In SWEET SUGAR, the convicts have to contend with Dr. John's experiments (he fancies himself an amateur Dr. Frankenstein), sadistic guards, frolicking about (girl on boy, girl on guard, girl on girl, you get the point), and of course planning an escape.

SWEET SUGAR is one of a plethora of women in prison films to grace the drive-in screen in the early seventies. This offers a lot of the elements that are standard for this type of movie: nudity, sadism, skinny dipping, murder, etc. The over-the-top antics of Dr. John and his experiments as well many moments of hilarity are an added bonus that make SWEET SUGAR an entertaining film for its' runtime of 80 minutes and delivers the goods expected from this type of movie. Cinematic art it is not, but good fun it is.

I am also including a link to a page with information on other women in prison flicks.

WIP Flicks

This is a link to Amazon.coms listing for CAPTIVE WOMEN 3 on VHS which is out of print but they do have 1 available used. If I find more I will post links as I find them.

Captive Women 3 VHS

This is a link to Videoscreams.com which has SWEET SUGAR and other WIP, public domain, and obscure films available on VHS and DVD-R.

Videoscreams.com WIP N-Z

This is a link to Nightcrew Video which also has SWEET SUGAR available on VHS and DVD-R in their cult films section.

Nightcrew Video

Post Edited (01-11-05 10:06)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 09:02:46 PM »

Looks like it hasn't found it's way to video yet.

Menard
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 10:18:27 PM »

Probably the most recent release (on VHS) was as CAPTIVE WOMEN 3. My copy is an older VHS from Continental Video. It is billed as SWEET SUGAR and is double-featured with ESCAPE FROM WOMEN'S PRISON. I have not seen it yet on a commercial DVD release (pressed) but it may be available as a DVD-R from a small press. If I find it available I will post a link.

blkrider
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 02:07:41 AM »

I rented that double release several years ago...I remember that ESCAPE FROM WOMEN'S PRISON wasn't too bad either.
Menard
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 04:13:32 AM »

Since SWEET SUGAR has been put out more than once on VHS (under different titles) it can be found with some patient searching. ESCAPE FROM WOMEN'S PRISON unfortunately did not apparently have much distribution and is very difficult to find. As such I am going to hold off on reviewing it unless I find a reasonable source.

Post Edited (01-11-05 04:09)
Menard
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 05:46:27 AM »

I have posted links with the review for SWEET SUGAR to where it can be obtained.

Dave Munger
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 08:51:55 PM »

I saw this movie on USA Up All Night Theatre (I think that was when Caroline Schlit hosted it), and I had no idea the protagonist was named Sugar. I thought the title was just because of the plantation.
Menard
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 09:06:28 PM »

I guess they were really trying to sweeten the plot ( :

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WIP Flick: Sweet Sugar (1973) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.