Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:52:57 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Slightly OT- Lame Superheroes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Slightly OT- Lame Superheroes  (Read 5560 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 13, 2005, 09:42:15 AM »

My daughter watches cartoons (as most kids do) and some of what she watches is on Boomerang which shows older cartoons from the 70's and 80's. Anyway, sometimes when a cartoon ends a little early, they will throw something short in there to take up the rest of the half hour. Usually they will put on an old superhero cartoon. Last night they had on The Atom which is the guy that can turn really small in his red and blue superhero outfit. I was laughing about this as it was one of the weaker superheroes that I can recall. My wife and I started talking about lame heroes and as far as I'm concerned, Aquaman has to be the lamest. Yup, my super powers will allow me to talk to fish! Look out Mr. Bank Robber, if you happen to go in the ocean, I will talk to the fish and they will catch you! Weak, weak, weak...they even had to come up with villians specifically so he has someone to fight,. Sure, there are villians designed for other heroes to give them a nemisis but, really, Aquaman has nobody to fight unless they give him some guy that happens to be able to breathe underwater and decides to commit some kind of dastardly deed while swimming.
What/who do you superhero fans believe is the lamest mainstream superhero?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:50:29 AM »

The Wonder Twins were pretty lame. I mean, a guy who's sole power is the ability to turn into water. Who came up with that? And didn't he also have the power to turn into a BUCKET of water? Where did the bucket come from?

The writers stretched it as far as they could, and then some, but the Wonder Twins were never much use for any situation that didn't require some form of water, and an animal to carry it.

And don't get me started on that monkey. What was it about cartoons in the 70s that they always needed a comical animal sidekick?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:29:59 AM »

Actually, sorta OT, I was talking to my wife last night while watching Teen Titans last night and said to my wife "Raven is a lot like Superman; she's pretty powerful and the only way some episodes work at all is if she seems to forget how powerful she is"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
saintmort
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 01:06:58 PM »

There was great SNL skit back in the day about the Atom where Jim Belushi (playing the Hulk) is talking to I believe superman and he's like "Yo superman, Meet my friend the Atom, he has the strength of a human, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and crap like that. It was funny. The End.
Ed
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 03:26:31 PM »

Ken Begg at Jabootu.com did a review of the old Superfriends show.  Its a real hoot to read him going off on Aquaman.   I remember there were a bunch of B-list superheroes on there once.  A guy who could turn the lower part of his body to a cyclone and stuff like that.  
Anyway like The Tick?  I lovethe takes on Superheroes in there.  

-Ed

"This is a job for Bipolar Bear!  But I don't feel like it now."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 03:29:59 PM »

I watched some Superfriends on Boomerang a while back and I didn't remember it being that lame. It was real stinker.

I wish they would show the Superman and Batman cartoons from the 60's. Superman was played by Bud Collier, the same guy who did his voice in the old Fleischer  Superman cartoons in the 40's. He was best known as a game show host.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 06:15:07 PM »

The Wonder Twins...I used to wonder about them. They were pretty bad...

"Wonder Twin powers ACTIVATE!"
"Shape of an ape!"
"Shape of...uh..hmm...oh damn...shape of a freakin' bucket of water...again..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Menard
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:23:07 PM »

Anybody remember Marvel Comics DAZZLER? She had some kind of ability to manipulate light and used to move around on roller-skates that would retract into her shoes when she didn't need them. I guess she was Marvel's version of a disco superhero. Marvel also had a superhero wannabe that would show up on occassion. This was a pudgy red-headed teenage boy who dressed in a frog costume. I don't remember if they called him Frog-man or what.

PhilosophicZombie
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 07:32:12 PM »

I think the lamest superhero ever is the Falcon. A guy in red and white tights that has a telepathic link to a falcon.. and not all falcons, just ONE falcon! That's it!!!  As far as powers go, that's pretty weak. I remember they put him on that animated 'Avenger's' show a few years back, probably for the sake of ethnic diversity,  but seriously.... the Falcon sucks.
Ozzymandias
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 07:33:19 PM »

The earliest costumed hero, The Phantom. He looks cool but his only power seems to be REPRODUCE.
Max Gardner
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 08:43:15 PM »

Dazzler could turn sound into light. Which seems like a fairly lame superhero ability. But here's the trick - you get her together with Black Bolt from the Inhumans, then have him speak. She could take out just about anyone, then.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 09:16:23 PM »

Being a comic fan and b-movie fan I have a special place for b-superheroes. I happen to like Dazzler and Faclon because thier super lame. here are some other lame herores: Moon knight, longshot (happens to be husband or boyfriend I foregot to Dazzler) and Cloak and Dagger.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Ozzymandias
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 10:50:37 PM »

DC had a character once in the 80s that dressed like a hockey player. I can't even remember his name.

Also, does anyone in there collection of videos and oddities have an old PSA from the 70s about littering.  It had a super hero who looked and dressed like Dick Tracy only with a cape. Seems like he was Captain Cleanup of Sparkle City and had a junior sidekick.  There were two versions long and short (10sec).  THe short was on Saturday morning cartoons for years. I'd like to see the long one again.
Dave Munger
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 10:52:28 PM »

I've got an origin of the Wonder Twins comic somewhere. They had a space monkey named Gleek or something. He carried the bucket. The transform into water power is about as lame as it gets though, I remember one time the girl turned into a gorilla and the boy turned into stilts made of ice to walk through a lava flow. He kept telling her to hurry, but it took way too long to be near even the kind of plausibility you expect from Super Friends as an eight year old.

I love that superhero party SNL skit. Garret Morris was Ant Man, who is a kind of cool character in a way, since the same guy was also Giant Man, a couple more heros I think, and he created Ultron. Damn, I'm a regular Louis Lane here.

Green Arrow sucked, and I think he was a bit of a commie too.

How about the one Planeteer who's ring gave him the power of ... HEART!! Usually all it was good for was to help summon Captain Planet, but when they were in a situation where only telepathy or something could get them out of it, THAT'S what they'd decide heart was good for.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 12:31:36 AM »

Dave other name for ant-man besides giantman was yellowjack. He was a pretty crappie Avenger. Hes also a wife beater. beat his wife wasp and will still on the Avengers.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Post Edited (01-13-05 23:35)

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Slightly OT- Lame Superheroes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.