Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:01:15 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Grumbling DVD Player « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grumbling DVD Player  (Read 1367 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 16, 2005, 07:03:04 PM »

I have a question.
Lately, it seems that my DVD player will start making a grumbling sound when playing movies.
It is constant and only stops when I shut it off.

Other times, I'll put in a different disc and it won't make a sound.
It seems to dislike certain discs.
One time, I took out a disc that was making it grumble, put in a different disc and there was no more grumbling....apparently it liked that one.
I then put the previous disc back in and it started grumbling right off the bat which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the discs themselves.

Sometimes it grumbles no matter what disc I put in it.

Does this have anything to do with the discs or is something different going on inside of it?

This is my second DVD player.  My first player did this also...but more frequently.

Do any of your players do this as well?

Any idea why it does this?
I don't want my DVD player angry at me.  :)

Post Edited (01-16-05 18:09)
Menard
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 08:41:27 PM »

A couple of things could be happening with the player, particularly if their is any age on it. One is that the lens could not be reading as well as it used to, although if this were the case, you should also be experiencing some skips and some problems with it not being able to read some DVDs at all. If you are experiencing any of the additional problems, you may want to clean the lens, if you have not already tried this. Although if it is just getting older and less able to read discs, that won't help.

Another thing that may be causing a problem is that motors build up friction over time, any motor. This friction becomes noticeable in the form of noise and increased heat. If that is the case, you could have it serviced, but most likely you will still have the same problem; and service is expensive unless your warranty is still in force.

Then again, neither of these could be the problem, as some players develop bad habits and just make noise. If you are not having any other problems than just the noise (overheating, skipping, unable to play discs), you may just want to turn up the volume one notch and ignore it. All DVD players and VCRs become noisier as they are used. As well optical and hard drives.

If you want to check a little further, you can go to the DVD player section of videohelp.com to see if comments have been left by users who have the same machine as you. You can also check out your model on Amazon.com to see if any customer reviews have been posted, and if anyone has had a similar problem.

Phantom187
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:08:35 PM »

Buy one of those 50$ disposable DVD players from walmart. Problem solved
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Grumbling DVD Player « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.