Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:53:31 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence  (Read 3798 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: January 18, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »

Finally got around to watching this flick last night after renting it last week on DVD.   GITS was the second anime film I had ever seen (right after Vampire Hunter D) and it still holds a special place in my heart.  I was hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed by this newest version.

And I wasn't.

GITS 2 is the most beatiful animated film I've ever seen.  Ever.  No contest.

The film blends in computer generated 3D backgrounds with the traditional 2D animation of the characters.  It's an amazing site to see a 2D character, walking through a 3D alley or convience store.  It's extremely surreal, and mind blowingly stunning.

The film follows Batou from the original GITS.  He's mainly a cyborg now with only his ghost left in the body.  He works for an antiterrorism group, just as in the original.  He is sent out to discover why some of the pleasure bots built by Locus Solus are killing humans seemingly at random.

The film takes heavily from other SF films from the past.  The main one is Blade Runner.  Batou is basically emotionless as Ford was in Blade Runner and has few ties to his original human self.  The film also plays itself as a bit of a Passive Progressive Noir.  Sure it's in the future, but everything is reminicent of the 30s-40s complete with Noir lighting.

I really can stress enough how impressed I was with the film.  I really expected it to be a disappointment but it is even a bit better than the original.  

Check it out if you're into Anime or just science fiction in general.  It is truly a masterpiece.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:32:14 PM »

Yeah Skaboi I saw in theathers. I loved it. It lives up to the original in every way. this what you call a cyberpunk classic. I am glad you enjoyed it. Ive been trying to post more anime movie viewings myself. Its also very philosophy heavy if you listen close to to what batou and togusa say they quote different philosophers. Locus Solus for example is a books written before WW1 and means place of solitude. If you look it up, alot of whats in the movie, you will understand it even more.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Post Edited (01-18-05 12:43)

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:44:08 PM »

The story was just as engrossing as the original.  But, for me, the absolute best thing was the animation.  I really can't get over just how good it was.  The desgins for many of the locations and vehicles blew me away aswell.  The "bird" plane was breathtaking and the "dolphin" submarine was phenomenal.  

I'm really glad that the local Blockbuster carries it on DVD.  I'm considering picking it up along with the original on DVD at tax time.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »

If your in into animation Skaboi check out my review of the anime Appleseed. I posted a review of it on the board and it still pretty new.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Post Edited (01-18-05 12:50)

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »

I'll definently do that Rich.  I just read a review of it on Nytimes.com today.

Max Gardner
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 05:03:14 PM »

GITS2 was far superior to the original film, which I didn't like because it stripped down the philosophical and technological issues raised in the manga down to the bare bones, resulting in a sort of "Cliff's Notes" version of Ghost in the Shell. The sequel is vaguely inspired by a side-story in the manga, but it's considerably longer than the original film, so it has more time to cover sufficient philosophical ground. It really is gorgeous to watch. I was surprised at how obvious some of the Blade Runner references were - but then again, you can't make a movie about a detective trying to stop a bunch of killer androids and NOT reference Blade Runner.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.