Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:44:09 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Looking for the World's Strangest Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Looking for the World's Strangest Movies  (Read 11979 times)
Derf
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:48:59 AM »

Lately I have been developing an interest in seeing some of the most bizarre movies available. I know that this has been asked before on this board, but with the new crop of posters, I figured it should be asked again: What is(are) the most bizarre movie(s) you know of? If I may, let me set a few limits, though. (1) No movies whose "bizarrity" factor is based on characters who are drug addicts (plenty of these were named in nobody's thread from 7-20-04, but drug haze movies are not what I'm looking for). (2) While I'm not averse to gore movies, I'm also not looking for movies that are strange only because the killing being done is extra bloody or inventive. "Dr. Gore" is hilarious, but it's not really bizarre in the sense I mean here.

Maybe if I give a few examples, you might be better able to help me find some new movies. I already own "Brazil" (anything by Terry Gilliam fits my criteria except possibly "The Fisher King"--I really hate that the image of Robin Williams's silhouetted schlong bouncing in the moonlight has been burned into my retinas), "The Godmonster of Indian Flats" (featuring an eight-foot mutant sheep as the title character but which has little to do with the story and whose worst dastardly deed is to steal some hot dogs from a kid's party) and The Yokai Monsters trilogy (these barely fit here and not many people have seen them, but together they strike a nice monsters-that-are-feared-yet-which-protect-people-when-it-suits-them duality). I have just ordered "Barbarella" (again, it barely fits here, but the imagery in the movie is out there), "The Terror of Tiny Town" (the infamous all-midget western) and "The Forbidden Zone" (featuring the birth of the Knights of the Oingo Boingo).

Some movies that would fit here that I have enjoyed but don't own are "Naked Lunch" and "The Dark Backward." Sorry for the long post, but I tend to be very particular in my tastes for both bad and good (and bizarre) movies. So, can anyone make some suggestions?

Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:06:45 AM »

World's Strangest?  How about "Un chien andalou" by Salvidor Dali.  It is by far one of the strangest films you will ever see.  I have a copy of it on DVD and it's amazing.  I can only imagine the reaction it recieved in 1929.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 11:26:01 AM »

I'm trying to think of some different titles for you. You've probably scene them.

Eraser Head
Dead Man
Santa Sangre
Vampyres
Jungle Holocaust
Vampyros Lesbos
Blood Sucking Freaks
Last House on the Left
I Drink Your Blood

k
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 11:29:22 AM »

Santa sangre & El topo by jodorowsky
possession by andrej zulawski
element of crime&the kingdom by lars von trier
eraserhead by david lynch

k
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 11:32:52 AM »

k,

I'm surprised someone else has seen Von Trier's Kingdom.  As for "strangest".....wouldn't exactly say that.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
k
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:42:30 AM »

well you're right not exactly the strangest but if you like bizarre sequences (i.e. the birth of the doctor at the end kingdom1) you'll like it.

and if you like terry gilliam definitly check out everything by Jan Svankmejer & the brothers quay. These things are strange and influenced gilliam alot.
Derf
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 11:53:28 AM »

I'm not familiar with Svankmejer or the Quays. But if they influenced Gilliam, they are worth a look. Thanks!
Derf
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 12:05:34 PM »

I've been curious about a few of these films, but, having a wife and daughter, some of these are out (Vampyres, Vampyros Lesbos, etc.) The wife doesn't appreciate the explicit movies. At least one of the films you list is a Troma flick (Bloodsucking Freaks). I don't have anything against Troma (used to love 'em), but they try too hard to be weird; it tends to come across as forced to me for some reason. That said, they do distribute what could be the single oddest movie I have ever seen, "Vegas in Space," a transvestite sci-fi comedy that I simply couldn't look away from (train-wreck style). But thanks; "Santa Sangre" sounds interesting (among others).
Menard
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 01:05:49 PM »

ZARDOZ is one that comes to mind. I personally do not like ZARDOZ but it definitely has it's adherents. I would agree with EL TOPO, but not for family viewing. VANISHING POINT (1971) is one that comes to mind. Another one not for family viewing though is NIGHT PORTER. With regard to BLOODSUCKING FREAKS (way not for family viewing), it is distributed by Troma but is not a Troma movie. It was directed by Joel M. Reed and released in 1978. Troma distributes a lot of movies they did not make, many of which they have bought. A good look at Troma's and Something Weird's catalogs should give you some titles.

PSlugworth
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 01:07:10 PM »

Nothing But Trouble definitely is beyond bizarre.  I love it, I don't care what anyone else says.

Maniac (1934) is pretty unusual, as is the Phantom of the Paradise.  And Return to Oz!  People always tell me it's a very frightening children's movie.  As a kid, it never scared me at all, but it has a very unusual atmosphere and really good special effects -- and a very creepy soundtrack, too.

Another favorite movie of mine is Clifford (1994) with Martin Short and Charles Grodin.  It is bizarre, but not in the way I think you're looking for.  Check it out anyway -- it's really underrated, in my opinion; you'll either really love it or really hate it, but what have you got to lose?  An hour and a half?

Official Member of the Don Knotts Fan Club.
andrew sylvester dot com
Derf
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 01:29:49 PM »

I couldn't deal with "Nothing But Trouble," though I could see how some would like it. I loved "Return to Oz" and thoroughly enjoyed "Phantom of the Paradise" when I saw it in the theater years ago (I've tried to watch it a time or two recently, but I keep getting interrupted). I haven't seen "Maniac." It's a possibility. Thanks.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 02:07:58 PM »

A strangest movie a seen was a Japanese movie Gozu. A women gives birth to a full grown man. nuff said.

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 02:10:13 PM »

Gozu.....isn't that Miike?

Master Blaster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »

Tetsuo, The Iron Man - Japanese art film from the 80's about a guy who's body starts to change into metal after being cut by an electric razor. It's very surreal.

The Begotten - Bizzare and disturbing art film by Elias Merhidge. I'm not ashamed to say this one gave me nightmares.
Menard
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 02:32:33 PM »

That happened, to a degree, in WARLOCK 2 as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Looking for the World's Strangest Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.