Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:46:49 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Looking for the World's Strangest Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Looking for the World's Strangest Movies  (Read 11970 times)
Kory
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 03:12:36 AM »

Pick one of those Italian horror movies from the 70's & 80's.  That's about as strange as you can get.
Menard
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 04:30:31 AM »

Kory brings up a good point. Many of the giallo movies would fall into the category of strange and surreal. Although they may be a little dark for what you are seeking.

JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 07:38:39 AM »

Walkabout (1971) - A girl (Jenny Agutter) and her brother get stranded in the Australian outback. They meet up with an aborigine boy and wander around for days, trying to survive and find their way back to civilization. Along the way, they swim and cavort naked, there's sexual tension between Agutter and the aborigine, exploration of abandoned buildings, flashbacks/daydreams that make little sense, and no real sense of purpose.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) - Directed by Peter Weir. A group of school girls go to the country to have a picnic in 1900 and then one by one, they start to disappear. More like watching a dream than a normal film.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 08:12:33 AM »

Master,

Yep, Un chien andalou is the film with the eyeball slitting scene.  Compared to what we've seen over the years, it's not that harsh anymore.  There is still something about that one scene that will give you chills though.  Well worth checking out.  

Looks like a new DVD version has been released for about 15.00.  I might have to pick it up, I have an old VHS copy.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 08:32:45 AM »

Went looking through my DVD collection last night trying to find something that would be suitable for this thread.  I came across a DVD that I haven't watched in a while but still remains one of my favorites from the late 60s-early 70s.  

Daughters Of Darkness is a quite surreal and strange vampire movie, but not in the normal sense.  It is about two newlyweds who are staying at a grandiose european hotel.  While there, they meet the Countess Bathory and her "lady friend" who are actually vampires.

I can't even begin to explain some of the strange situations in the film.  It does get quite trippy/dreamlike throughout.  Not very gory, but it is a beautiful film and one of the best in the vamp genre.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Derf
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2005, 08:58:33 AM »

I own a VHS of "Cabin Boy" and really like it, but my wife hates Chris Elliot and would rather I not buy it on DVD (or at least she can't understand why I would want it). It is a strange movie, admittedly, but not exactly what I mean by "bizarre."
Derf
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »

Kory wrote:

> Pick one of those Italian horror movies from the 70's & 80's.
> That's about as strange as you can get.

I'm no expert on Italian horror (never really exposed to it much). I enjoyed "Suspiria" when I saw it years ago, and it fits pretty much with what I would call "bizarre." The Giallo movies sound a bit too gory for all their strangeness; I've wondered about a couple of them, but the descriptions I've read always emphasize the "disturbing" nature of the films. At this point in my life (high stress time, working two jobs and such), I'd rather be entertained by a movie than disturbed by it. I don't mind intellectual challenge, but just flashing lots of horrific images on the screen isn't quite what I'm looking for right now.

Thanks for reminding me about "Suspiria" though.

Derf
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »

The Maddin films sound interesting. I may try to rent those. The problem with foreign and/or art films in my area is that they are rarely available at rental stores and are just too expensive to buy unless I know I really want it. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery (except for the little problem that I never actually PLAY the lottery)... *sigh*

Menard
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2005, 10:05:44 AM »

Thank you for pointing out WALKABOUT JohnL. It has been something like 28 years since I saw that on late night TV. I never caught the title of it, but the film always remained in the back of my head. Now that I know the title, I will be checking it out again. Way Cool ( :

Master Blaster
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2005, 02:35:02 PM »

Deep Red Hatchet Murders is another good weird one from Argento. Not as weird as Susperia, but I enjoyed it. It's not as nasty as the title sounds either really. It's more of a mystery and a thriller than a horror film. I think the real name is "Deep Red" and "Hatchet Murders" was tacked on later to market to the Itallian splatter crowd.
Max Gardner
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2005, 03:49:56 PM »

A few recommendations, in order of general strangeness:

1) Fantasy Mission Force
2) The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
3) Moulin Rouge
Derf
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2005, 04:21:03 PM »

Max Gardner wrote:

> A few recommendations, in order of general strangeness:
>
> 1) Fantasy Mission Force
> 2) The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
> 3) Moulin Rouge

I love Buckaroo Bonzai; I haven't seen the other two. I'll look into them. Thanks!
peter johnson
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2005, 05:22:33 PM »

The Cost Of Milk, from New Zeland --
Elements of Maori fairy-tales intrude the "real" world in unexpected ways.  Peculiar doesn't begin to describe it.  Example:  One of the characters is an agorophobic dog, who runs around outdoors under a cardboard box.  You have shots of this barking box running across the Lord of the Rings landscape.  People crash their cars into one another and then sit among the wrecks, calmly chatting as friends.  No, it is not a cartoon.  Just see it.  I'm still giggling & shaking my head in disbelief
peter johnson/denny crane
JohnL

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2005, 05:31:02 PM »

>Thank you for pointing out WALKABOUT JohnL. It has been something like 28
>years since I saw that on late night TV. I never caught the title of it, but the film
>always remained in the back of my head. Now that I know the title, I will be

I hate it when that happens and you can't remember the title. :)

>checking it out again. Way Cool ( :

I believe it recently had a brand new DVD release with various extras.

Post Edited (01-20-05 23:16)
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »

Thanks Menard. I've seen El Topo on EBay in the past, but I never want to spend to much on anything. Once in a while I'll spend some extra dollars, but generally I'm cheap.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Looking for the World's Strangest Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.