Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:08:37 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New show: Point Pleasant - Omen II meets The O.C. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New show: Point Pleasant - Omen II meets The O.C.  (Read 1169 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 20, 2005, 08:45:05 AM »

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the comparison in the title, that's how the show has been described in every article I've read about it.

Point Pleasant is a nice little New Jersey town on the coast, full of the types of characters you'd expect to see in any Dawson's Creek/One Tree Hill/The O.C. type show. One day, a young woman (Elisabeth Harnois) is found floating in the water. When she recovers, she seems to be a normal girl on a quest to find her mother, except that she has a weird design in the iris of her eye that looks like a 3-pointed swirl, which will be instantly recognizable to anyone who is a fan of horror movies, or who has read *ANY* article on the show, as three 6's arranged so that the round parts overlap. Also, when she gets upset, fires flare up, freak accidents cause cars to explode and people get stung to death by swarming insects.

Yup, she's the daughter of the devil, although she doesn't know it yet. Apparently her mother was human, so she's not really evil. She has a choice and the shadowy types that work for her father are hoping that the world gives her a bloody nose, so that she'll learn to hate humanity and realize her true potential to rule the world, or something along those lines.

Going to be hard to do in just 13 episodes. That's all that Fox produced and I can't really see the show going beyond that. Not that it's the worst thing Fox has ever produced, but supernatural horror shows typically don't do all that well on prime time network TV, and it's up against CSI on Thursday nights. Besides, Fox has a history of cancelling anything that doesn't get great ratings right from the start. I mean they grudgingly renewed Tru Calling for a second season, then cut the number of episodes down to just six, and now it's been officially cancelled, even though those six episodes STILL haven't aired.

The pilot aired last night (Weds.) at 9PM and another episode airs tonight in the series regular timeslot of 9PM Thursday.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:56:27 AM »

I think I'll shy away from Point Pleasant.  It just doesn't look that good to me.  I have a feeling it's going to go the way of Buffy The Vamp Slayer.  More teenie horror.

Also I have pretty much boycotted most of Fox's shows since they cancelled Firefly back in 02......

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 09:09:53 AM »

I used to vacation right near Point Pleasant and I'll say this much about the show, the first 10 minutes that I watched didn't really look like too much of it was filmed there. I don't seem to recall a lighthouse anywhere in that whole area. Overall the show just looked bad so I had to turn it off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 11:04:06 AM »

I think John is right , these type of shows don't do very well.  It also looks like Thursday is the new  series killer night for Fox anyway.  Tru Calling, which my wife sorta liked finally got killed there.

The only one of these type shows I really got into was Brimstone. The whole idea of the dead guy  working to get released from hell by hunting down and sending the other escapees back was kinda  cool.  I also liked John Glovers portrayal of the devil.   Unfortunately it aired in Fox's series killer hour of 7:00 on Friday night.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »

Take a  little Dawson's Creek, a little OC, attempt to add a dash of Twin Peaks, maybe  a hint of American Gothic (they WISH!)  - and what do you get?  A lousy show with no identity - wooden characters, boring dialog, not much plot and LOTS of teen sex.  

It didn't work in the pilot - I for one don't see it getting sorted out any time soon.  Good riddance. Ugh.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 03:16:38 PM »

I asked my wife if she wanted to watch it...I was mildly interested and only would have needed a slight nudge to stay tuned in.  Alas, she said, 'nah.'

So, we watched two hours of "Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State" on PBS instead.  Oh man, now that was real horror.  Just words "Adult Euthanasia Program" gives me chills.

Sorry, FOX; come up with something at least as gripping as real history, and I might stay tuned. Or funny, like Married, With Children was the first couple of seasons....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »

>Tru Calling, which my wife sorta liked finally got killed there.

At least there are another six episodes. Someone at Fox has said that they will air at some point (probably when Point Pleasant gets yanked off the schedule and they have an empty timeslot to fill), but apparently there's some doubt that that will happen. At least they'll probably be released on DVD.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »

I saw it. If only because it was something different from what is usually on television. Now that it has apparently moved to Thursdays, I probably won't see anymore. Not because it is on opposite "CSI," which I don't watch, but because I work Thursday nights.

What I was disappointed in was the acting. Not because it's that bad, it's not, but it really pales in comparison to the acting on "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," which I also watch. If you want to see good acting, then watch those two shows, especially "Desperate Housewives."

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 07:10:04 PM »

I'll keep watching it, at least as long as they manage to get Elisabeth Harnois in a bikini each week. I can't believe she's 25 now, she still looks like a teenager.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New show: Point Pleasant - Omen II meets The O.C. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.