Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:39 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Favorite Movie Sidekicks. No, not comic relief!.... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Favorite Movie Sidekicks. No, not comic relief!....  (Read 18924 times)
Menard
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2005, 06:12:06 PM »

Sexist  (:

Jack Corbett
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2005, 06:27:28 PM »

No, I just wouldn't consider her to be a sidekick, thats all. I'm not being sexist.
D Munger
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2005, 08:50:13 PM »

Am I the only one who hated #1 more than #3? The part that epitomizes #1 for me is the bald guy getting all flustered and says "PEOPLE DON'T BELEIVE IN HERO'S ANYMORE MAX!!!!" Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention because it was sucking so hard, but that line seemed like a total non-sequitor to me. Maybe my problem is that I saw the best one first, or that I usually find these revenge things unsatisfactory. The revenge guy never even tortures the biker guys for a month or anything, their suffering never approaches that of the hero.

Favorite moment in #2: Closing narraration: "He lives now, only in my memories".

Favorite line in #3: "Who rules Bartertown?"

I kind of liked #3, except for the music parts, and the parts that didn't make any sense, and the cutesy parts, and the Tina Turner parts, and the abrupt ending, and the Thunderdome Caberet announcer guy, and the part with the little kids who remember stuff that should have happened before they were born and have a belief system based on thinking that Max is some airplane pilot (so you keep thinking, wait, was there something in the backstory about him being a pilot, or looking exactly like a guy who's a pilot, and exactly how long did it take all of the adult people to use up all the gas, forget how to make gunpowder, and revert 2000 years, while these kids still remember stuff about Epcot Center, etc?), the portentious "we think this old vinyl record, See'N'Say, Donald Duck doll, etc, is a sacred relic stuff...........
peter johnson
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2005, 09:44:44 PM »

Cantiflas is the name of the actor/sidekick to David Niven in Around the World in 80 Days -- Cantiflas is considered as important as Chaplin in the Spanish-speaking world -- I can catch his early comedies on our numerous local Spanish-only TV stations, but they talk so damn fast I can never follow what's going on.
Nigel Bruce to Basil Rathbone's Holmes -- Bruce played Watson as a bit of a bumbling twit, which was not true to the books at all, but very effective cinema.
Huntz Hall to Leo Gorcey -- East Side Kids
Mighty Manfred to Tom Terrific
Chumley the Walrus to Tennessee Tuxedo
Fred to Superchicken
Ape to George
Eddie "Rochester" Robinson to Jack Benny
Artemus Gordon to James West
In all of the above examples, the sidekick is frequently more interesting and lively than the so-called "hero" or star.
Anyway, these are my faves --
peter johnson/denny crane
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2005, 10:27:19 PM »

Fred to Superchicken

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Menard
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2005, 10:49:57 PM »

You don't mean that. I got your plan figured out; you're trying to earn points toward Buffy's next Top Five list.

Ed
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »

Nope she had "Designated Victim" written all over her, sorry.
-Ed
Ed
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2005, 11:29:23 PM »

You mentioned Holmes and Watson... The TV Edward Hardwicke's Watson was a true useful sidekick.  He wasn't brilliant, but he was at least useful.  I found the Watson in the Basil rathbone Holme, almost offensive.
-Ed
peter johnson
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »

Yes, both Edward Hardwicke and the other actor who played opposite Jeremy Brett as Holmes were both true to the Canon --
I still liked Nigel Bruce, though, especially since Rathbone's Holmes wasn't supposed to be "true" to Conan Doyle.
peter johnson/denny crane
Jack Corbett
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2005, 05:50:16 PM »

Phew!

We're FINALLY off Mad Max.

Okay, It's from the Novel, but I reckon that Gennaro in Jurassic Park (book) was a sort-of sidekick to Muldoon.
Who's read the book? Or am I just alone?
Menard
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2005, 07:16:10 PM »

Do you suppose Goose (MAD MAX) had a twin brother?

Whoa...comeback time.

Goose Rules

odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2005, 09:58:59 PM »

Yes, I'm glad we were finally able to get off the Mad Max talk and get back to the topic at hand.

Menard? That's 'The Goose', got it?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2005, 10:56:45 PM »

Nah, guys, who's read Jurassic Park and thought Gennaro was a sidekick to Muldoon?
Ed
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2005, 12:27:21 PM »

Wasn't he the big wrestler who led the bandits in the wasteland... Oh thats Max again.   Oh, oh wait... maybe the Bartertown Guard with the Kibuki Mask on a stick?  

In all seriousness...I thought Generro and Muldoon were in "The Lost World"?  Or I am totally misrembering the storyline.  
-Ed
Menard
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2005, 12:33:42 PM »

In TREMORS, which one would be the sidekick, Val or Earl?

And does anybody think they would have been good sidekicks for MAD MAX?  (:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Favorite Movie Sidekicks. No, not comic relief!.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.