Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:46:38 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: silver bullets, can it be done?  (Read 10578 times)
AlexB
« on: February 03, 2005, 03:54:36 AM »

Would it be possible to actually shoot a silver bullet from a normal gun? Would you need a driving band or something to grip the rifling. What would be the effect on performance?
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:11:48 AM »

You got a werewolf problem?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
raj

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 08:23:25 AM »

I imagine a silver jacketed bullet would work, like a copper jacketed one does.  A silver bullet doesn't need to be pure silver to kill a werewolf, does it?
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 08:27:29 AM »

I suspect it would work even with a solid silver core. The best one to answer this would be ulthar as I believe he has extensive re-loading knowledge.

So, I'm still waiting...you got a werewolf problem?

AlexB
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 08:33:33 AM »

No, not as such. It is just something I started wondering about when I saw Underworld and it has kept bugging me ever since. BTW, to be effective against werewolves, does the bullet have to stick in the wolf, or is just making a hole enough?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 08:47:06 AM »

AlexB wrote:
> BTW, to be effective against werewolves, does the bullet have
> to stick in the wolf, or is just making a hole enough?

That's a good question. I suppose it comes down to whether it is contact with the silver that is important, or just that silver can produce a fatal wound. I know silver blades have been used in stories, but even then, I don't know if they would stab the werewolf and leave knife in, or if a quick stab or a slash would work.

I'm inclined to agree with Odinn that a solid silver bullet would work. I think silver is soft enough. It could also be alloyed to produce the right characteristics, although I think it does have to be pure to be effective. I would, however, agree that a bullet with a pure silver jacket would be just as effective, but much harder to produce.

Post Edited (02-03-05 07:48)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 08:56:18 AM »

Actually, I do not think you would see any terrible effect on performance.  Silver is harder than lead, but softer than copper or brass.  You would just need to figure out how much gunpowder to use for the weight of the projectile, then you would be good to go.

As noted by Odinn7, this question does cause me no small amount of concern.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 09:07:43 AM »

You could really make it easy, and load a shotgun shell with silver pellets. Can't say I've ever seen that done in a movie, but it would have advantages.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »

"You could really make it easy, and load a shotgun shell with silver pellets. Can't say I've ever seen that done in a movie, but it would have advantages."

Good point, especially with a head shot.
Anyway, from what I understand about werewolves and how to dispatch them, it appears that it really depends on who writes the story/script and how convenient it is for them. In some cases I have seen that the silver must remain in the body in order to have an effect. In others it appears that all you need to do is cause some kind of fatal wound with a silver object. In "Wolves of Wallstreet" (highly NOT recommended by the way) a whole pack of them were put down by being poked with a silver pen, yes, poked. I even recall a horror comic when I was younger in which a werewolf was killed by being whacked in the head while in human form with a cane that had a silver end on it. This is all well and good for movies and books as whatever they need to fit the part is just how they write it in. The werewolves of folklore are no different in that depending on who you listen to or what part of the world the legend comes from, there are numerous differences in how to kill them off. Some legends don't even require the silver and a simple fatal wound of any sort that would down a human or regular wolf will also take care of a werewolf.
Essentially, what I would suggest is that if you are experiencing a werewolf problem, you need to determine which legend they are from and then do research based on that. No need to waste time and money fabricating a silver bullet when a simple baseball bat will do...

AlexB
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 09:39:36 AM »

Well, in Underworld it is more a question of slowly poisoning the wolves (sorry; lycanthropes). If they can get the bullets out fast enough, they'll live. On the other hand, Angel dispatched a wolf with Wesley's complimentary silver Wolfram & Hart pen. You see, I'm in the dark here.
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 10:36:55 AM »

Makeing a working Bullet..."Hi HO silver..awayyyyy!" No problim.
Decideing on how it affects werewolf anatomy..., well, lets look at the script....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Ed
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 10:49:53 AM »

In the Lon Cheney Warewolf films, he was injured by a silver-headed cane.  And Alex, if you really want me out of the henhouse, just ASK.  No need to get crazy with ammunition.
-Ed
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 11:09:55 AM »

Some good points on the "damage or embedded" argument.  Also, as was said, using a shotgun with silver buckshot would probably be the best solution.  That way you get both massive tissue damage and the silver will probably stay in your target.  Also less silver than something like a .45 slug.  Or, rather, you get more surface area out of the silver you are using.

Werewolves are pretty big when changed, so 00 buckshot would probably be best.  However, I know that #1 shot is judged as the best home defense load.  That might work for one in human form.

And, if you get some huge monster wolf, you had better have a .45 or shotgun slug for the behemoth.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »

Shotgun slug for sure... large surgace area, and it'll spread further.  It'll make a hole like a melon through the lycanthrpic sucker.
Nice to see you in "real time" Andrew.
-Ed
Derf
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »

Then again, there's the Monster Squad (1987) theory that you could just kick 'em in the 'nads, put a stick of dynamite in their pants (note: works only on Lon Chaney style werewolves) and shove them out the window. Could a werewolf really survive being blown into itty bitty were-chunks?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.