Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:34 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: silver bullets, can it be done?  (Read 10517 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 12:35:26 PM »

"Could a werewolf really survive being blown into itty bitty were-chunks?"
The working theory in movies, I believe, is that any destruction that is done will be regenerated. I suppose if they were to be blown up, perhaps the pieces would come back together or maybe you'd have 100 werewolves pop up from the pieces. Nobody ever really answered that question as far as I know.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Derf
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 12:46:20 PM »

But also remember that werewolf lore began before high explosives were readily available, so the whole "regeneration" theory sprung up as a reaction to newer, more destructive weapons in order to keep the terror going rather than just admitting that no creature, not even a supernatural one like a werewolf, could withstand the firepower of today's super weapons.

But on a side note, could you imagine the fun of pitting a horde of werewolves against a tank armed with silver-tipped shells? Carnage! Mayhem! Massive CGI budget!

odinn7

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:08:49 PM »

But also keep in mind Derf, that I said movie werewolves. If you read my post further above, I mention how different werewolf legends, depending on where they originated, have different ways to kill one. So, perhaps an explosive would do the job, and very nicely too.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »

Probably one of those situations the writers would rather just avoid, rather than figure out what the heck would happen if you blew one up. Probably the only way you could do that and still make your werewolf unkillable would be to pull a Dragonball Z, and just have him walk out of the blast a little messy but none the worse for wear.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Master Blaster
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 05:44:23 PM »

I'd like to see him splatter all over the place and then, just when you thought it was over, and the good guy is hugging the girl and all, suddenly the background music turns ominous and all the gory chunks start to slide tward eachother slowly reconstructing the monster.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 06:04:01 PM »

According to the Lone Ranger, silver bullets are more accurate.

In An American Werewolf in London they could be killed with regular guns, but until they died all the people they killed were still wandering around rotting.

It's kinda like vampires, you actually have to stake them in heart, cut off their head, and then burn the body.

Aren't both allergic to garlic?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 09:09:59 PM »

I recall that silver is supposed to be effective against various kinds of evil critters. Been trying to find the reason for this belief, but not having much luck. Perhaps because silver is a pure, white, shiny metal. Funny, one site I found noted that iron was more popular as a protective metal in some folklore.

I was also reminded of one funny bit of advice for dealing with vampires. Scatter seeds on the ground. Apparently, vampires are so obsessive, they will try to count them all, sometimes until the sun comes up. This was also a good defense against Howard Hughes. It would, however, not buy much time if you're escaping from Rain Man.

---------------------
Eirik
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 09:14:27 PM »

The silver does not have to remain in the werewolf.  Other metals cut through the werewolf's flesh and the wound immediately heals around it.  Silver disrupts this healing process, meaning that the wound is permanant.  If the wound destroys a vital organ or nerve center, the werewolf is killed.  In otherwords, a silver bullet through a werewolf's hand only does permanant damage to the hand, and probably you unless you have another silver bullet.

You guys who say the silver must remain in the werewolf are thinking about vampires.  When you stake a vampire (contrary to what Buffy the Vampire may tell you) it does not permanantly kill the monster.  You must still either expose it to sunlight, douse it in holy water, stuff its mouth with garlic and cut its head off, or immerse it in running water to permanantly destroy the vampire.  Removing the stake without destroying the vampire brings it back to life.
Eirik
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 09:17:03 PM »

"Funny, one site I found noted that iron was more popular as a protective metal in some folklore."

Yes, this was a myth perpetuated by Europe's burgeoning iron smelting industry in the 13th century.

trek geezer:  Vampires are repelled by garlic, werewolves are repelled by wolfsbane.
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 09:50:26 PM »

The problem with werewolves - like vampires - is essentially that there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

To try and say there is some kind of "correct" mythology is just arrogant - on the assumption that all these creatures are fictional. Hence, you have to ask the question in reference to the type of vampires you're looking at.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2005, 01:47:48 AM »

Bullets, bah.  If you have a werewolf problem, what you need to do is make yourself a suit of silver armor, studded with two-foot-long silver spikes, and have a huge-ass silver morning star like the Witch King has in Return of the King.  Then you just go out and beat the werewolves to death.  That way, the next time some werewolves show up, they'll think, "Wow, that guy is such a badass.  Remember last time when he beat Larry and Jim to death with that huge f**king silver morning star?  We should just leave him alone."

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2005, 08:20:47 AM »

It's my understanding with vampires that the stake can't just be driven in, but must be driven through the heart and into the earth. It was a precaution done to certain dead bodies, just to make sure they stayed buried. I think this has been ignored largely due to the many movie vampires who sleep in caskets in the basements of castles. Hard to pin them to the ground.

---------------------
odinn7

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »

For some reason, I really like this topic, it's quite a bit of fun...Thanks AlexB.

Anyway, taking vampires or werewolves out really all comes down to how the writer needs to do it to fit into the movie. As I mentioned earlier, legends vary from area to area and it's not only on werewolves but vampires also. I remember reading somewhere that as AndyC stated above, bodies used to be staked through the heart and into the ground. This was to keep them from getting back up if they were a vampire. Legends and folklore have become confused with Hollywoods version but if you look at it a certain way, it makes sense. First, if Hollywood were to stick to the legend, which one would they use? Next, how scary would it be to have a werewolf that that you could shoot with any old bullet or even stab it with a stick and have it die? Would I be scared of a vampire that can't cross running water? Hollywood always neds to embellish things but in cases like this, in my opinion, it's for the better.

I like Brother R's idea yet I can't imagine what the cost and weight of a suit like that would be. Also I wonder what you would do if one of the werewolves were to impale itself on one of those 2 foot long spikes if it was on you back? How the Hell would you remove it?
Ah, I'm at work so I gotta go pretend I give a s**t for an hour or two...

Master Blaster
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 09:17:46 AM »

Who's got the upper body strength for all that? I say take the nerd route out. Beef up on your robotics and build yourself a bigass silver plated, silver bullet firing ED-209 to hide behind. It'll probably kill alot of innocent bystanders but it'll get the job done.
Derf
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 10:28:10 AM »

I am reading an 1847 vampire novel called Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood that I downloaded for my PDA. The writing is incredibly tedious (around 10,000 PDA-sized pages, including several short stories told by various characters apparently just for the heck of it), but it is interesting to see some of the earlier vampire lore and how different it is from what we see now. For example, Varney is supposedly made into a vampire by a doctor (who of course regrets his actions afterward forevermore) after Varney had been hanged as a highwayman. He has no problem with sunlight, and he can eat whatever he wants. He only goes into a bloodlust once a month or so (it varies from monthly to annually to just whenever he sees a beautiful young woman through the novel). His goal is to marry a young woman and then kill her and drink all her blood, but, in true Wile E. Coyote fashion, he is thwarted again and again. Several times he resorts to gnawing on a sleeping woman's arm or neck until she wakes up screaming, at which point he acts like he has driven away the fiend that attacked her (she invariably faints) and has saved her. He can be killed the same as any man, but when moonbeams hit him, he returns to life.
So, in this book, there is no obsessive-compulsive counting, fear of moving water, garlic or any of the usual vampire paraphernalia. The characters occasionally talk about stakes, but no one seems to believe that is the only way to kill a vampire. I don't know if these beliefs are closer to the "original" vampire lore or if the author simply made up his own legends and conventions, but it is interesting to see such a different take on vampires, if you can wade through the writing style. I personally have been working on this off and on for a couple of years now and am finally within 2000 PDA-sized pages of finishing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.