Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:46:54 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: silver bullets, can it be done?  (Read 10572 times)
AlexB
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »

If I remember correctly, Varney the Vampire is one the earliest, if not the earliest appearances of the theme in English literature, so the writer had the myth all to himself. When now you do vampire or werewolf fiction, there is such a huge load of received wisdom on the subject, you have to thread carefully if you want a plot device that works

As for the silver armour of Brother Ragnarok, ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for practical thinking. If I had a werewolf problem, I'd ask my friendly armourer to provide me with lots of silver 9mm rounds, and let the Uzi do the talking.
Derf
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 11:32:57 AM »

AlexB wrote:

> If I remember correctly, Varney the Vampire is one the
> earliest, if not the earliest appearances of the theme in
> English literature, so the writer had the myth all to himself.
> When now you do vampire or werewolf fiction, there is such a
> huge load of received wisdom on the subject, you have to thread
> carefully if you want a plot device that works

I agree that we are so steeped in "facts" about vampires today that we could never go back to a Varney-style vampire, but this is a shame; a vampire that is not limited by any of the usual conventions (darkness, garlic, etc.) seems to me to be a much more frightening creature.

Master Blaster
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2005, 11:55:43 AM »

"When now you do vampire or werewolf fiction, there is such a huge load of received wisdom on the subject, you have to thread carefully if you want a plot device that works"

Some writers are ballsy enough to toss out the rulebook when it comes to vampires and warewolves. I've read Clive Barker stories where they've appeared completely outside of their conventional form. The Theif of Always is one, and the other was a short story in Cabal. I cant remember the name.

Also there's a movie I saw called the Hunger where vampires were treated more like drug addicts than supernatural creatures.
Derf
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2005, 12:14:47 PM »

Master Blaster wrote:

> Also there's a movie I saw called the Hunger where vampires
> were treated more like drug addicts than supernatural
> creatures.

The Breed does something similar. I can appreciate those who break the mold (although Clive Barker has just never done much for me; I've never read his stories, but his movies--apart from Nightbreed--don't work for me). However, I can't think of any of those movies that drop the conventions that also have done well in the box office. Are there any?

Attribute it to a lack of imagination or an unwillingness to change ideas, but audiences seem to demand that filmmakers stick to the well-known conventions for well-known monster types.

Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2005, 01:09:59 PM »

Did I say I was going for practical?  Sheesh.  Literalists. ;)

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Master Blaster
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2005, 02:24:14 PM »

Done well at the box office? Nah, not really. Maybe An American Warewolf in London.

Clive Barker is better in print by the way if you ever get your druthers. I'll admit most of his movies suck.
Eirik
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2005, 03:29:22 PM »

"To try and say there is some kind of "correct" mythology is just arrogant - on the assumption that all these creatures are fictional. "

Arrogant?  Yikes!  I hope you didn't take my posts as serious.
Master Blaster
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2005, 03:34:01 PM »

These are important issues. We've all weighed the pros and cons of our various zombie survival plans time and time again. Unfortunately we've not so adequetly prepared for possible warewolf attacks. And jeez we still have UFO invasion, vampire infestation, giant monster attack, and homocidal robot situations to plan for. We're so unprepared I fear for everyones lives if a Night of the Lepus type situation was to arise. "Giant Rabbits! What's the contigency plan for giant rabbits? I cant remember. Was it stop drop and roll? Damn!" CHOMP
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »

I read a werewolf book once that stated if you know who the werewolf  is and speak their name, they will temporarily revert to human form.  I guess if you say the wrong name and don't run you're chow.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »

"Arrogant? Yikes! I hope you didn't take my posts as serious."

Dammit Eirik! This is no place for joking around...this happens to be a serious topic!

Seriously, I liked your comment about the iron industry. Quite amusing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2005, 07:26:57 PM »

Well I know if I every encounter a werewolf or became one (and wanted to end it) I give him/myself a Coors light because we all know thats a "sliver bullet". :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

JohnL

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2005, 12:42:30 AM »

>I'd like to see him splatter all over the place and then, just when you thought it
>was over, and the good guy is hugging the girl and all, suddenly the background
>music turns ominous and all the gory chunks start to slide tward eachother slowly
>reconstructing the monster.

They did that to the werewolf in The Monster Squad.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2005, 01:35:50 AM »

Oh, damn...

There goes my idea for the ending of Creature...
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2005, 11:43:01 AM »

I don't see any problem with shooting a silver bullet.  As far as engaging the rifling in the barrel, I guess it wouldn't matter much - most werewolves are shot at point blank range anyway.  I suppose there's a possibility of damaging the barrel with the harder metal, but it shouldn't become a problem unless you're shooting several werewolves a day for a week or two.  

You could look into how they make armor piercing ammo for machine guns if it's really a priority ;)

AlexB
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2005, 02:51:47 PM »

Master Blaster wrote:

"Giant Rabbits! What's the contigency plan for giant
> rabbits? I cant remember. Was it stop drop and roll? Damn!"
> CHOMP

You go to drive in movie theatre and commandeer all the cars. Then,  with all those headlights, you herd the rabbits onto a stretch of railroad track you've previously put under high voltage. Piece of pie, really. Didn't you ever watch Night of the Lepus?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.