Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:36:41 AM
714256 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: silver bullets, can it be done?  (Read 10573 times)
peter johnson
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2005, 03:39:18 PM »

In the original werewolf stories of Eastern Europe -- some documented by The Brothers Grimm -- the werewolf hunter would take the silver chalices from a Catholic Church to melt down to create a huge mine-ball to shoot from his flintlock/matchlock Blunderbuss-type weapon.  These things were round & maybe 50 to 80 calibre(!), if we're being literal.  It would seem to be the association with the Blood of Christ that would give the silver bullet its power, not just the type of metal used.
Francis Coppola's Dracula has Dracula walk down the middle of London, in broad daylight, just as he did in Bram Stoker's book.  Apparently, the only full day that the vampire has to hide in his hole for is the Sabbath -- which could get confusing if your vampire is a Seventh Day Adventist or Jewish --, though he only has his full powers in the dark of night.  Again, the religious thema are very important.
In the book of The Keep, the Wurdulak, or whatever the hell the old, Unspeakable Being is, has a long conversation with one of the Nazi doctors about his makeup & says he "loves garlic" & pops a whole bulb in his mouth by way of demonstration.  Pity they didn't keep that scene in the film.
In both House 1 & House 2, all the monsters defy conventions all over the place, willy nilly, and I think both of those films made money.
peter johnson/denny crane
AlexB
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2005, 05:58:46 PM »

Well, I think the main advantage in having a traditional monster in your movie, is that  you save on explanation time. For obvious reasons, you need a monster that can't be killed easily (otherwise you'd have a really short movie), yet it has to be killed somehow (due to the need for a happy ending, or indeed some ending at all).
If you start from scratch, you need a professor type character saying something like 'the whatever-it-is can only be killed if it sneezes at full moon'. Then the Hero has to find some way of spraying the monster with pepper at the right moment.
On the other hand, if you use Dracula, you don't have to motivate why people go looking for stakes, garlic or holy water. It is simply a labour saving device.

That being said, I'm still not convinced of the effect of silver on the rifling. For one thing, I'd like to shoot werewolves from fairly a long way away. Secondly, who says you won't meet another one very soon?
Jack Corbett
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2005, 06:01:10 PM »

Ah, great. Creature won't work, then. It has a pessimistic ending
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2005, 10:12:31 PM »

"That being said, I'm still not convinced of the effect of silver on the rifling. For one thing, I'd like to shoot werewolves from fairly a long way away. Secondly, who says you won't meet another one very soon?"

As Andrew stated earlier in this thread, silver is harder than lead but softer than copper. Many modern bullets are copper jacketed and work fine in rifled barrels as do lead bullets. I don't see that there would be any problem with the rifling and silver combination. Now, as far as how well the bullet would fly at a distance, I can't even begin to tell you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2005, 11:01:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure it could work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silver bullets, can it be done? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.