Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:55:31 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do you believe in... ALIENS? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Do you believe in... ALIENS?  (Read 17603 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 11:24:45 PM »

I believe in aliens and so do my friends Zaphod and Ford.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 12:55:18 AM »

Ha ha ha ha ha... good one.
Writer
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 03:07:29 AM »

Fermi's paradox gives us any number of reasons to question what difference it makes to us whether there are any aliens: if extraterrestrials do exist, they apparently are either unable or unwilling to make contact with us.

No matter how different they might be from humanity, extraterrestrials can bring no new moral dimension to our complicated world: a band of sinless aliens could not reform humanity in the slightest by their example, since knowing right and wrong has never yet caused people to do what is right. A band of sinful aliens would bring no improvements either, since they would be no better than we are.

In short, I believe in the possible existence of aliens, but not at all in the supposed benefits the alien worshippers think they'll bring us. If space aliens ever were to show up, at best we'd be able to trade with them. At worst we'd probably end up going to war with them. There are no flying saucer gods.
Wence
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 08:12:57 AM »

Good point Writer,

It seems that if they exist, they are forever unable to reach our solar system.

And only Stargate/StarTrek/Enterprise-fans believe in things like holes in the continuum or time&space-travels.

The mopst interesting on the alien-phenomenon is not alien life or the question if it exists or not, but the humans that gather in orginizations believing in aliens.

I read much about UFO-Sect, early contact-reports, Alien-Believe-Movements etc...

There is so much s**t around us - you won´t believe it. After George Adamski & Co (the first alien-reports in the 50ies) the "aliens-are-here"-movement has formed many sects - some of them criminal ones like the "HEAVEN´S GATE" or the "SONNENTEMPLER" or  influential like "RAEL".

This is a point one must consider...
odinn7

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2005, 10:37:44 AM »

I'm not giving my view here one way or the other but I have a mildly amusing story that the title of this topic reminded me of.
When I was young (somewhere between 5-10 years old) I used to really like space movies and aliens interested me, yet scared me at the same time. My parents realized I was scared of the aliens taking me away so they told me in no uncertain terms that there was absolutely no such things as aliens, it's all made up for TV and movies. Well, I was playing one day and they were watching the news. I heard the newsguy talking about illegal aliens coming into our country and how some people look at it as a real problem. I never said anything to my parents but from that moment on, I "knew" they were lying to me as the newsguy wouldn't have been talking about something like that if it wasn't real, and I went back to living in terror until I got older.
Along those same lines...The Planet of the Apes was my most favorite movie when I was a kid. I loved the hell out of that movie and had all the toys, models, clothing that went along with it. I was also instructed that this was not real, gorillas can't talk, ride horses, round up humans, and they especially don't carry guns. Well, again with the news. We were riding along in the car and the news on the radio was talking about "gorilla warfare" that was taking place. GOOD LORD! My f'in parents are such liars! I had trouble for quite awhile believing anything those sumb***hes said after that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Derf
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 01:14:37 PM »

Wence wrote:

> The name of this stupid a***ole is ERICH VON DÄNIKEN, maybe you heard about him.
>
> His life-story says all that is necessary to know what he´s
> about: he was guilty of fraud.
>
> Now he´s doing it legally - by manipulating facts and by so
> stupid lies that it is unwillingly funny to see all these
> idiots believing it.

I don't know if it was from this guy or just another of his ilk, but years ago (I was in my late teens/early twenties), I saw a "documentary" about how miniature ufos had been spotted in the jungles of South America. The footage showed a cave entrance covered in tropical foliage, and the "ufos" were circling around the bushes. The narrator went on and on about how these strange miniature craft were cylindrical (freeze frame, showing a blurred image of a cigarish-shaped thing with vertical protuberances) with some sort of stabilizers extending from the central cylinder. I stared at the screen in disbelief. Even to my untrained/immature eye, these "aliens" were obviously fast-flying insects. I couldn't believe that this was being shown on the Discovery Channel or that someone, somewhere was stupid enough to pay someone to film this tripe.

Wence
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 01:56:21 PM »

No, I don´t think that this was ERICH VON DÄNIKEN, because his documentaries areobviously about ancient cultures, about the pyramids in egypt, the temples of the inkas, aztecs or mayas and so on...

While he reports about these cultures and presents writings, carvings or sculptures he tells the audience his theories, that this or that knowledge of this or that culture can´t be human.

Often he interpretes old signs and pictures in a way even kids wouldn´t think of...

like: "THIS shows clearly a rocket" "THAT is not a sculpure showing an ancient god, it´s a marsian/venusian" or whatever f**k...

The best is when he wants to persuade us that colossal buildings like the pyramids were build by extraterrestrials - WHAT A STUPID f**k!!!

Well, as long as it is unwillingly funny even I can bear his "scientific reports".
Writer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 03:49:03 PM »

More to the point, space travel is expensive, and likely to remain so. The physics equations do show that something like a wormhole might exist, but that doesn't mean there's any way to open one for ourselves, or that we could get it to take us to any specific place. Presumably, any space aliens out there would run into the same problems: systems with habitable planets are far apart, the fuel to get any space ship up to a decent speed is expensive, and at speeds a fraction of the speed of light, any bit of space dust will strike the ship's passengers like intense gamma radiation.

Novelists are at the point that they don't really have to explain how their characters get around these problems anymore, but we can hardly expect to get around these problems so easily in real life. Some people think that advanced civilization could produce easy solutions to these problems, but these problems are exponentially larger than any of the ones that we've solved so far. Whether people like it or not, they'll have to go to the stars with the ships they've got if they ever go at all; there's no point in waiting for faster ships when there might not be any way to make faster ships.

On a more positive note, this means that if any sinful band of space aliens ever does show up, it'll probaby be after a centuries-long voyage in a creaky old ship with very few weapons at its disposal. The Spanish explorers, for all of their vices, would probably have been a lot nicer to the American natives if they couldn't easily get home, didn't have a lot of weapons, and had to settle where they landed.
Wence
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 04:13:41 PM »

Some time in the future a Super Nova will destroy our Earth - this is absolutely sure - and if mankind will still exist, humans will be forced to leave this solar system and to go on a long, very long trip to other stars...

- mankind will become an "alien lifeform" on it´s search for a new world to colonize.
(this reminds me of "Galactica")

The other thing with WORMHOLES...

It´s like with quantum physics - this discipline knows more the four dimensions, matter is not depending on place and time, so far so good...
But quantum physics is not physics, like physics is not mathematics.

What is possible in quantum physics is not possible in our human reality. That´s the point Alien-/UFO-Freax forget.

But I am sure that a discussion on a scientific, rational level is not possible with people who want to believe.

That´s the same with BIBLE-Freax and JESUS-Freax - noone will ever persuade them if they want to believe what they believe.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 04:18:16 PM »

I onec heard that astronmers look at the number of stars out there and think that other life out there  is likely, given the odds; and that biologists look at the complexity and coincidences of life and think that like out there if unlikely, given the odds

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Wence
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »

Many biologists say that life itself is a wonder - given the relative uncomplexity of the planetar/galactic matter, and the complexity even of the smallest and lowest lifeforms.

From that point I find it is plausible that life is very scarce in the universe.

Maybe it´s like putting a piece of sugar into the ocean - surely the ocean contains more than one molecule of sugar then, but is the ocean sweet because of that?

Ehm... this example is somewhat strange and senseless but... I like it.  :)
Wence
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 04:56:16 PM »

Dave Munger,

thanks for the pics... lol

These "aliens" look like those in the theories of ERICH VON DÄNIKEN and other UFOlogists:
ERICH talks like this in his reports:
"Is it an ancient god or a prophet? No! No! This is a venusian colonist !"
Writer
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander... I don't believe in bioevolution any more than you believe in the tooth fairy, and when I tell gung-ho evolutionists that, they determine to make a convert of me. Jesus-haters believe what they want to believe, too.
Wence
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 05:22:37 AM »

Writer,

don´t take my opinion on religion personally.
I didn´t want to insult you if you define yourself as Jesusfreak/Biblefreak.

The point with evolution,

how would you argue when someone asked you about the similarity between apes, taung-humans, neandertals, cromagnons and humans?

Look at the skeletons/skulls - one can clearly see how human life has developed.

I think that if one looses trust in the evolution theory, one must loose trust in science itself - and stop to go to the doctor, stop believing quantum theory and therefore stop to trust in the functions of a dvd-recorder (there´s a laser in it!).
Derf
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 09:29:58 AM »

Wence wrote:

> Look at the skeletons/skulls - one can clearly see how human
> life has developed.
>
> I think that if one looses trust in the evolution theory, one
> must loose trust in science itself - and stop to go to the
> doctor, stop believing quantum theory and therefore stop to
> trust in the functions of a dvd-recorder (there´s a laser in
> it!).

I realize this is not the place for this discussion, but there is one MAJOR difference between the examples you list here. Evolution is a theory, based on reasoning and fossil evidence. It is logical and well thought out, but it is ultimately speculation. Dating techniques can only be supposed accurate (based on scientific methods), and many of the fossil finds are constructed from skeletal fragments rather than full skeletons. The fossil record is terribly sketchy. It is growing, but it still offers only glimpses of the full picture. As a result, defending the theory of macro-evolution depends as much on faith and guesswork as it does on the physical evidence. In this sense, those who believe in macro-evolution practice their form of  "religion" as surely as "Jesus Freaks" do. The other examples of trusting in doctors and dvd players do not fully follow this same pattern; lasers are an easily provable technology (we already have them), and medicine proves itself daily in curing the ailments it is designed to cure. Lastly, as you yourself pointed out, quantum physics has no practical applications as of yet, and so can neither be proven or disproven; it is all theory.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do you believe in... ALIENS? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.