Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:24:59 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whirlwind weekend of movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whirlwind weekend of movies  (Read 1141 times)
Scott H.
« on: February 16, 2005, 12:30:03 AM »

The weekend started with a screening of Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali, a neo-neorealist movie about an indian family who goes through life. Part 1 of 3 following the life of the little boy of the movie, Apu.

That night was finished with My Fair Lady . I had no idea the sheer acting talents of Audrey Hepburn, nor the power that Warner Bros. studio had at the time to produce something of that magnitude. I love the film.

The next sets of movies come in at twos.

First two were Head in the Clouds and U Turn. Head  in the Clouds was a terrible mock epic with tremendous talents (Charlize Theron and Penelope Cruz), but a slow story and poor direction. Lost money when I rented it.
U Turn is an Oliver Stone movie that is nuts. Sean Penn's character rolls into this dusty town with a busted radiator hose where he meets the strangest people you'll hopefully never meet. Oh, by the way, he's just lost two fingers for not paying a loan earlier, and people are on the way to do more than fingers. J-Lo costars as a double crossing lunatic.

The next two are classics Lola Rennnt and La Dolce Vita . Both movies are mind blowing. La Dolce Vita rules the neo-realist charts, and Run Lola Run is absolutely amazing. Just when I thought camera tricks and editing had gone to the dogs and there was nothing original left, this movie comes and shows me an old dog can relearn old tricks. Great animation too.

The final two movies were equally as amazing. Tokyo Story which follows about a year's life of a Japanese couple who visit their children in Tokyo from the countryside and begin to learn their burden of old age.......Think of your parents when you watch this movie and thank them for what they've done for you.
The other movie, Ingmar Bergman's Persona was completely confusing, but incredibly fascinating. An actress is assigned a nun to watch over her and a range of emotions are poured out onto the screen. Wild. If you don't love the modernists, you're losing your sense of humor. The opening sequence of film with uncontrollable film, tarantulas, nails, and a penis blew my mind. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Scott H.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 12:37:08 AM »

double post

damn x'ed boxes.

I have a haiku about Tokyo Story that should be shared. It's inspired by the movie:

It was a beautiful
sunrise. I'm afraid it will
be hot again

-anonymous

It's the perfect haiku in more ways than I expect people to get. Enjoy.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:41:17 AM »

I love Run Lola Run [I also have the soundtrack, which was done by Twyker as well, its pretty good]

The editing, as you pointed out, was fantastic, and the way the story changed slightly each time was well done.  Quite dizzying, that movie, with lots of circular motion [in both editing, camera work, and what's on screen]

Highly Reccommended

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:51:42 AM »

"U-Turn" is one of the few times I wanted to demand a refund from a video store. It had a promising start at being a gritty little pulp or modern day noir thriller, but turned out to be a chaotic mess filled with much overacting by all involved. I was hoping that the movie would be a change from the downward slide that I felt Oliver Stone had been on for several films. Instead it seemed like the pace of his slide picked up.

The only part I liked was the exchange in the diner between Sean Penn and Claire Danes about Patsy's Cline death.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whirlwind weekend of movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.