Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:40:16 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ill-conceived cartoons « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Ill-conceived cartoons  (Read 8779 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 22, 2005, 11:00:07 AM »

The Bugs Bunny thread brought this to mind. How many examples can we name, of cartoons that were just bad ideas. These might be ones that seemed like a good idea, but were ruined by TV execs trying to apply a winning formula (for example, every show needing its own "Scooby"), or introducing incompatible ideas meant to ratchet up the potential for wacky adventures (Fonzie as a time traveller, for example), or turning a popular movie, live-action show or game into Saturday morning fare, or putting classic characters into new situations.

We've come up with a few examples already, such as ABCs attempt to produce cartoons of its most popular sitcoms - Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. Even as kids, we knew that these were not true to the shows, and just seemed ridiculous, even for what they were. And Godzilla, which was good, even with the addition of a crew of human adventurers (so good, the idea was used again in the 90s), but could have done without Godzookie, an idea that baffles me to this day.

Other examples? Which ones really drove you nuts?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:24:31 AM »

Do you remember the live action Saturday morning GHOSTBUSTERS from the 70's (preceeded the movie by several years)? It had three characters named Spencer, Tracy , and Kong, one of which was a gorilla, interestingly enough named Tracy. It starred Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch. Well, they could not leave well enough alone and an animated version was made which featured characters with the same names but much younger. The animated version was truly a snorefest. I believe that it was because of this series that the cartoon based on the movie used the title THE REAL GHOST BUSTERS since GHOSTBUSTERS was already taken.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:34:57 AM »

I thought The Real Ghostbusters was used so that the characters could differ from Bill Murray et al. There was, for example, an episode where the characters went to see the movie that was based on them.

I remember the other Ghostbusters cartoon, just barely. It didn't air much around here. It seemed really weird. I recall they used a lot of supernatural stuff in their ghostbusting, and didn't they have some kind of haunted old car with a face?

Just remembered another live-action show turned into a dumb cartoon - Gilligan's Planet. The professor's best efforts can't get them to Hawaii, but a mistake can land them on another habitable world. The mistake began with building a bamboo rocket ship(!) when a raft would have sufficed. WTF?

Post Edited (02-22-05 10:40)

---------------------
Jamtoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:03 AM »

The Ghostbusters Live action show is mentioned here.

Not cartoons, but some were good.  I liked "Jason of Star Command" and "Space Academy."

Post Edited (02-22-05 10:46)

Seven years on MacGyver and you cannot figure this out? We got belt buckles, shoe laces, and a piece of gum. Build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.  You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick, and now you are now 'Mr. MacUseless'.
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 11:50:34 AM »

Speaking of Ghostbusters, I remember in the late 90's they had a remake of the old cartoon the Real Ghostbusters. They had a whole new team that were considered "losers". Their was the goth/punk girl, the "urban"spanish guy, and  "nerdy" black guy in a wheelchair. They were led by a ageing Egon. It only lasted season I think. I tired to give a chance, because I am a big Ghostbusters fan,only saw a couple episodes (Thanks to its jumping time slot that went from different times in the morning). But from what I saw It sucked.

Another "bad" cartoon was adding "Scappy" to the Scooby Doo. Man I found him annoying.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Menard
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:35 PM »

Out of those series, ARK II was my favorite. I did like GHOSTBUSTERS for the camp value and ISIS for the Joanna Cameron value. I also got a kick out of DR. SHRINKER. Even though they don't properly fall into the Saturday morning live action category, the Hudson Brothers were among my favorites.

Menard
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 12:27:53 PM »

I had understood that it was due to a title conflict, being that the title was already copyrighted for television, but the use of the title to distinguish the cartoon from the movie makes sense too. I actually enjoyed THE REAL GHOST BUSTERS (I get confused about which one is GHOSTBUSTERS or GHOST BUSTERS) as it was definitely, in my opinion, a better follow-up to the movie than was the second movie.

Menard
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »

Anybody remember the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS cartoon? Anybody want to foget the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS cartoon? Also, how about the cartoon based on the WWF wrestlers in the eighties? Was that pointless or what? Does anybody remember what it was called (I don't)?

Menard
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 12:42:34 PM »

Scrappy-Doo almost single-handedly killed the franchise. What was the name of the other Scooby relative they brought along around the same time? I believe it was his uncle or something like that.

Master Blaster
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 12:52:55 PM »

Yeah, I remember D&D. That was one of my favs. I always wanted that big badass bad guy with the horned helmet to punt the hell out of that little barbarian kid bastard. I still hate that little punk.
odinn7

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »

Anyone remember the Planet of the Apes cartoon from the 70's? It didn't last very long but I did watch it (I was a huge PotA fan) while it was on. They drove around in trucks and it really wasn't like the movies too much. I also recall the art being fairly poor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 12:57:22 PM »

Menard wrote:
> as it was definitely, in my opinion, a better follow-up to the
> movie than was the second movie.

You can say that again. Although, I always thought one of the reasons Ghostbusters II sucked so much was because of the popularity of the cartoon. It was geared more toward kids, and lacked a lot of the more clever humour of the original. Ghostbusters II was, in a lot of ways, more like the cartoon, except that the cartoon was better.

---------------------
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »

Hulk Hogan's Rock & Wrestling. Man, what they did to the WWF characters in that show was beyond belief. I still remember them repairing an alien's flying saucer with one of Captain Lou's rubber bands.

---------------------
daveblackeye15

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 03:16:20 PM »

I've only heard the opening music but the t.v. cartoon "Chuck Norris Karate Komandos" doesn't sound very good.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
SaintMort
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

I don't mind the 2nd one that much it's still one of the better sequal out there in my opinion like Wayne's World 2 it's stupid but it still entertains enough that you can watch it.

I actually liked the cartoon Extreme Ghostbusters that came out maybe 7 years ago. It was a really interesting continuation
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ill-conceived cartoons « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.