Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:30 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ill-conceived cartoons « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ill-conceived cartoons  (Read 8778 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 03:41:11 PM »

This sickest thing they ever did was let Tom and Jerry start talking.  That was bad.

When my kids were little I remember such greats as Camp Candy (cartoon John Candy) and Mr. T.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Wence
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

Anyone mentioned the japanese YU-GI-OH-cartoon series (don´t know the accurate speeling) - that´s a load of crap...
The only aim of this cartoon is:  to make the little customers buy... buy more... by all!

The same with BEY-BLADE (ughhh, even more brainwash!)
I watched them sometimes just to remind me how bad they are.

Man, I don´t want to be kid nowadays!

I loved the old school tom&jerry cartoons and I agree that all newer cartoons with them sucked.

When I was a kid I watched often SABER RIDER or MILA SUPERSTAR...
(never ever seen again)
Master Blaster
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 05:13:28 PM »

"Anyone mentioned the japanese YU-GI-OH-cartoon series (don´t know the accurate speeling) - that´s a load of crap...
The only aim of this cartoon is: to make the little customers buy... buy more... by all!"

Well make their parents buy anyway. I probably bankrupt mine on He-Man toys when I was a kid.
Wence
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 05:55:35 PM »

You´re right, I remember that there were was much He-Man-stuff to buy,
(most expensive: Castle Greyskull)

Maybe they even then brought up He-Man to make the kids make their parents buy, but it seems to me that this got even worse...
Fearless Freep

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 06:38:08 PM »

I kinda liked Yu-Gi-Oh at first in how they would set up the strategies of the games.  I wish, however, that they didn't pull out the Deus Ex Mahcina card so often (pardon the pun), that they would've been more consistant in applying the rules of the game, and that they would've more often tipped the player's hands to the audience so the audience could guess what the player was going to do

As it was, though, it got a little tiresome

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Master Blaster
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 06:48:11 PM »

Oh it was. I think it's considered one of the first cartoons to be an advert for a toy. Here's a short article on the history of the cartoon if your interested.

http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/cmotu/index.shtml

Honestly I'm still a closet he-man fan. : )
Yaddo 42
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 08:24:53 PM »

Mentioned the Mr.T cartoon in my second post in the Loonatics thread. What a trainwreck! Take an over the top TV star getting past his prime in popularity and stick him in a situation so removed from what made the kiddies like him in the first place.

He's the bus driver/bodyguard/dispenser of crackpot lessons in good judgement and decision making for a team of teenage exhibition gymnasts, who were so milquetoast and bland you wanted something bad to happen to them. I wonder if there was ever a special episode where one of the group is bulimic or worryed that puberty will ruin their gymnastics career. And, oh look, there's an annoying little kid comic relief sidekick, a little white kid who wants to grow up to be Mr. T and dresses like him and speaks in a faux T voice to prove it. But the the sidekick must always get in trouble trying to imitate his tough hero (and scream for help letting the Mr. T voice drop to show how scared he really is) so that he too can learn valuable lessons. They might as well have named the kid "Scrappy T" since he can from the same mold. But the kid can't have a mohawk, that might be too hard too explain away to kids who wanted one in real life. Instead Mr. T's bulldog gets to have the mohawk (must have been a bulldog/Rhodesian ridgeback mix) and some jewelry.

I don't want to rehash the terminally boring Gary Coleman cartoon show again like I did in the other thread. But it did have that "time slows down while it's on" factor it was so awful.

I would have liked the D&D cartoon if they didn't contantly get cheated every week out of going home by having to make "a tough choice" EVERY SINGLE WEEK on behalf of the greater good. I'm convinced the Dungeonmaster was just as evil as the baddie (Tiamat?) and was just using the going home thing as the carrot on the stick to manipulate the kids for his far reaching nefarious plans. Or if there had been any sense that they were actually learning to use their powers and skills and improving as time passsed, but continuity in cartoons forget it. Or if the most destructive power hadn't been given to the youngest and
least responsible of the group (he was another Scrappy clone after all). As bad as these fanboy ramblings about the show are, what's worse is that they are the exact problems I had with the show when it first aired and I was the ideal age and audience for the show.

While I was too old to be watching cartoons by the time this came about, and the kind I liked weren't being made by then anyway, I knew that cartoons as I knew them were dead when I first saw this : Hammerman.
Sam
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 11:57:53 PM »

Does anyone remember that cartoon about Link? Man that was bad, it had one of the worst one-liners from a tv show in history "Well excuuuse me Princess". One of my friends is the biggest Zelda fan (he's got the tats to prove it) but he never saw it and when he did he actually hid the tape. I tried to talk him out of buying it but, would he listen to me.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 12:19:08 AM »

I remember the Link, Captain N and Mario t.v. show. I have found memories of watching those shows.I always liked the life action Mario and Luigi I still can remeber the episode when Seargent Slaughter came  on in one episode and my older brother's friend ,Nick, said "If he suppose to be Koopa or something?" my brother replied "no" and explained.

Ah I want to see that show again just for old time sake.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
petrol lunatic
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 02:16:43 AM »

There was an MC Hammer cartoon, he was like a normal guy helping out kids in the ghetto, then he'd turn into Hammerman to fight bad guys,  I don't remember what his powers were, and I can't imagine what they could be other than weird dancing.
There was also a Bill and Ted cartoon, but I don't think I watched it much.

and soon you will feel it
while the wind is blowing and the blood is boiling
it won't be no dream and no one will hear you scream
crawling out of the dark
saintmort
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 08:34:50 AM »

The Back to the Future Cartoon also was around for a while like the Bill and Ted
daveblackeye15

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 10:59:21 AM »

Oh yeah movie's that got their own t.v. show...

Beetoven(ms)..

Dumb and Dumber

Both of those didn't look or sound to good but the I think the Mask t.v. show had potential to be pretty good and more solid than other shows based off a movie.

Let's go Fishman!!
Stop calling me that!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »

saintmort wrote:
> The Back to the Future Cartoon also was around for a while like
> the Bill and Ted

Ohhh, I hated that one. What gets me about the movie-based cartoons is that they always took a gimmick from the movie, and made it a weekly occurrance. How many time travelling adventures can you have in which the bad guy is some relative of Biff Tannen?

There was that, and the tendency in all movie-based cartoons to overuse catchphrases. The character gets off a good line once in the movie, and it suddenly becomes something he ALWAYS says in the cartoon. This drove me frigging nuts.

Thought of a couple of others. In the real-celebrities-as-crimefighters vein, there was The Pro Stars, featuring, I believe, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan and Bo Jackson. Bizarre.

In the category of great idea badly executed, there was that guy who was a hero for hire. Kind of a bumbling idiot who would be called to fill in for real pop-culture heros. Great parody potential. If only it had any real laughs, beyond dumbed-down kiddie humour. If only it really parodied the stories instead of simply borrowing a few of their trappings. If only they had stuck closer to the stories they were spoofing, instead of inserting their own villain in every single story (much like the many Tannens, but resembling an evil clown for some unfathomable reason). Talk about an idea that could have been great, but was completely botched. I don't know what they were thinking.

Post Edited (02-23-05 12:13)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 01:15:25 PM »

That was the guy's name. Walter Melon: Hero for Hire. Man was that show just.....dumb!

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 01:26:43 PM »

AndyC wrote:

> That was the guy's name. Walter Melon: Hero for Hire.

Do you suppose the reason he never got married is because he 'can't elope'.

It was begging for a pun.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ill-conceived cartoons « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.