Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:29:13 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What flicks have you seen lately? (part 2) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What flicks have you seen lately? (part 2)  (Read 4413 times)
Cheecky-Monkey
« on: February 25, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »

Cube: Zero (2005)-  Yet another group of characters wake up inside a giant prison-like death maze. Imaginative, well-made and gory, but somewhat disappointing; the last 20 minutes are extremely silly and it simply can't hold a candle to the excellent "Cube".
3 stars out of 5.

In the Mouth of Madness (1995)- An insurance claims investagator finds himself living in a pop horror novelist's story. A delightful susprise. Good plot, amusing performance from Sam Neill, great special effects (Courtesy of KNB effects group), great ending and Musculear direction from John Carpenter, being his old self once again with the injection of a dark atmosphere and a good douse of humor. 4 stars out of 5.

Demon Seed (1977)- Super-computer Proteus IV impregnates the wife of the scientist who created him.  Intelligent, thought-provoking sci-fi horror film. Julie Christie gives a strong performance and the film boasts one of the best evil computers of all time (Even better than HAL-9000!). Kinda brought down by a few rather tasteless scenes and dated production values.
3-and-a-half stars out of 5.

The Grudge (2004)-  A haunted house claims the life of all who enters it. Better -made than the original,  the acting is okay (Except for Sarah Michelle Geller who's rather wooden as the lead), the ghosts are creepier and the atmosphere is darker,  though it's way to short (86 minutes?), and feel like nothing more than just another unnecessary remake.
2 stars out of 5.

Proteus (1995)- A group of drug smugglers board a seamingly abandoned oil rig after there ship sinks, only to find the nasty results of genetic experiments still inhabit the rig. It's a cheap production, but it's got some cool monsters in it, especially a giant, shark-like, tentacle flinging beastie at the end.  Pinhead-veteran Doug Bradely shows up to play an evil scientist near the finale.
Nice gore.
2-and-a-half stars out of 5.

Resident evil: Apocalypse (2004)- A fictional city is overrun by zombies and mutants after a T-virus escapes from an underground lab. Dumb, unrealistic and stupid. Littered with flaws (Why did the zombies in the graveyard come back to life if they weren't infected with the T-virus!?!?!?), this is a $50,000,000 mess with laughable dialog, wooden acting and stupid plot twists, one after another. The only good special effect is the nemesis make-up, which looked great, all the other effects are CG and look terrible. Just plain bad.
2 stars out of 5 (Just barely skips a 1.5).

Miner's Massacre (2003)- A group of dumb teens awaken the ghost of a demonic Miner after stealing some of his treasure. Well this isn't really anything more than a cash-in on Jeepers Creepers, though it's mildly entertaining in a 'so bad, it's good' kinda way. The speical effects are cheap but servicable and there is an okay amount of gore. Watch out for the hilarious 'decapitation' scene, where you can see the actress's shoulders under the bad guy's coat.
Director John Carl Buechler actually sent me an e-mail insisting that you couldn't see the actress's shoulders, but thanked me for a fairly positive review on IMDB, funny stuff.
2 stars out of 5.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 09:10:19 PM »

Swamp Women:  Very early Roger Corman flick (maybe his first?) about three women in prison who used to have three boyfriends, but the boyfriends were put to death for stealing diamonds.  The girls know where the diamonds are, so an undercover policewoman poses as a jail inmate and they all break out.  They go through the bayous of Louisiana (or someplace) to get the diamonds, at which point the plan is for the policewoman to take control and the other cops to move in.  Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, it features a pretty good catfight in the middle of it.  Not really any reason to ever watch it again, the characters are completely forgettable and the action is cornball city, but I got the DVD for 1 cent on Ebay.

Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity:  an old favorite of mine, finally got the DVD.  It's about two (scantily clad) slave girls who escape from the spaceship they're being transported on, and end up crash landing on a planet.  A guy named Zed lives there, and another group of crash survivors (including Brinke Stevens) is also there.  They find out that Zed likes to hunt people for sport.  This is a great B movie.  Good atmosphere, lots of cheesy dialogue, a bit of T&A, and a sense of humor.

Retroactive:  A woman gets picked up by a couple and over the course of the drive, the guy kills his wife and starts chasing the woman through the desert.  Lucky for her, there's a secret government research lab out there, and she gets sent back in time to the beginning of the movie, where she gets picked up again and tries to improve the situation, but screws it up even worse.  Repeat several times.  Not too bad, James Belushi has a great time hamming it up as the evil redneck, but the repetition of the same plot gets sort of boring.  It is quite clever how little details that you didn't notice the first time come into play in subsequent repetitions.   Good for a rental if you're quite bored.

Teenage Catgirls in Heat:  It's Troma.  Need I say more?  Got this one for free when I bought Slave Girls.  An ancient Egyptian cat god (insert $5.00 plastic statue of cat to represent god) comes to life and causes all the cats in the area to commit suicide.  They are then reincarnated as women that go around doing corny immitations of cats.  Two cat hunter idiots try to get to the bottom of this mystery.  Halfway through they forget about that plot and one of the cat hunters goes on a date with one of the cat women, which consumes half the movie.  The ending is so incredibly corny that it defies explanation.   This movie manages to stretch it's short run time into what seems like several hours.  

Leviathan:  Probably the best Alien ripoff ever, right up there with Carpenter's The Thing (at least in my opinion).  At an underwater mining facility, one of the crew finds a sunken Russian ship, and brings back a flask of vodka.  A couple people drink it, and turn into monsters.  This movie has great characters, pretty good special effects, excellent acting and the plot moves along well.  Only complaint is that the monster is pretty cheesy looking.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 09:32:25 PM »

Cheecky-Monkey wrote:
> Resident evil: Apocalypse (2004)- A fictional city is overrun
> by zombies and mutants after a T-virus escapes from an

Fictional city? It was Toronto - the skyline (minus the CN Tower), the freeway, the city hall. That much of the movie I liked - they just shot Toronto and called it Raccoon City. Didn't even try to disguise it. There's something amusing about seeing a city you know get nuked in a movie, at least if it's not one of the ones that always get picked on.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 09:33:46 PM »

Hockstatter,

I remember seeing Retroactive when it premiered on HBO in the late 90s.  I want to say that the film was an HBO original.  I don't remember much, except for Belushi reciting the stupid "beltbuckle" joke over and over and over.

Leviathan is a great flick.  I remember being scared to death by it as a child, once again with HBO.  I finally got around to renting it a few years ago, and it still holds up pretty well to this day.  As you said, one of the better Alien ripoffs so far.

Post Edited (02-25-05 20:34)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 10:44:36 PM »

Saw "In The Mouth Of Madness" awhile back

Here's some dicsussion In The Mouth Of Madness

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 11:38:43 PM »

I'm surprised In the Mouth of Madness isn't better known. I was never recommended it so when I rented it I was very surprised by how good it was.
One of carpenter's last good films in my opinion.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 11:57:05 PM »

I'm trying to rememember a rather low-bugdet independent movie I saw a few months back

It was about a guy who steals a time-travel device from his place of business when it is attacked and everyone else of killed.

He shoes it to his two friends and they decide to use it to win at gambling by carfully going into the future and relaying the information on what would win back through the phone lines (or something)

Also, 'someone' (government) ist trying to kill them

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 06:38:32 AM »

Leviathan has been among my favourites since I saw it at the theatre (in high school or shortly after). Good looking movie, and did a nice job with the deep sea setting, which was popular at the time. But the characters were what really made it stand out for me. Very underrated, even for a knockoff. Although, it's definitely more a knockoff of The Thing than Alien. I wouldn't call The Thing an Alien knockoff, because it's a pretty faithful adaptation of the original J.W. Campbell story from 1951.

Also agree that In the Mouth of Madness is underrated. Nice attempt by Carpenter to be Lovecraftian.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 08:00:14 AM »

In The Mouth Of Madness is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, Carpenter flick.  I was completely surprised when first viewing the film.  Strong story, great acting, creepy Lynchian townsfolk.  One of the best horror films of the 90s.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 02:45:23 AM »

Leviathan was pretty good, certain the best of the underwater "The Thing" clones from around that time like "Deep Star Six". I knew a guy in school when this first came out who claimed he had seen it and proceded to tell me the "story". He hadn't seen it, but what he described was even better than the real film. It was some weird mishmash of stuff he gleaned from the trailer, "The Satanic Verses", and devil worship stuff I'm convinced he stole from various horror movies and heavy metal albums. I'm disappointed that it hasn't been made into a film.

Saw "Proteus" on cable years ago, time filler pure and simple. Decent effects.

I liked "In the Mouth of Madness" and have little to add to other people's comments except: Best Lovecraft film not based on actual Lovecraft source material.
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 03:18:31 PM »

"Best Lovecraft film not based on actual Lovecraft source material."

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Master Blaster
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 06:04:11 PM »

I remember Demon Seed. Your right, it's Veeerrry dated, and a total 2001 ripoff, but good sci fi none the less.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 06:41:28 PM »

Do a search of this forum; In the Mouth of Madness has been brought up numerous times in several contexts.

Great Film.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 06:44:35 PM »

AndyC wrote:

> I
> wouldn't call The Thing an Alien knockoff, because it's a
> pretty faithful adaptation of the original J.W. Campbell story
> from 1951.
>

Nitpick: Who Goes There was was written (or published) in 1938.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 11:00:53 AM »

How did demon Seed rip off 2001? the only similarities I noticed were they both featured evil (sorry, 'misunderstood') computers.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What flicks have you seen lately? (part 2) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.