Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:28:23 PM
714319 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Dr. Who a disappointment? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Dr. Who a disappointment?  (Read 4547 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: March 06, 2005, 07:59:32 PM »

This can't be good news., Scifi turned down  the series because, well, it 's terrible. You know if Scifi turned it down with the crap they show sometimes it must be bad.

Check out some reviews at AICN  1 very negative and 1 sort of positive:  Dr. Who Dreadful?

This is really disappointing for me, I was really looking for a comeback for the Doctor.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
nobody
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 12:08:10 AM »

The Scifi channel turned it down... but they're airing Skeleton Man? Dr. Who must be the worst thing ever filmed. :)
Yaddo 42
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 01:12:57 AM »

They probably at least partially financed "Skeleton Man", remember that linked Wired article someone posted here a while back explaining how many of those SciFi Originals get to air. So I guess SciFi hates junk unless they make it themselves. Or if they get reruns of one season wonders cheap that they can air until the tapes melt.

I'd still like to see the new Dr. Who for myself, since I distrust AICN a lot. I became a fan when the show began airing on PBS in the 80s, after never getting to see more than a few minutes when WOR ran episodes on Saturday mornings a few years earlier.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »

Dotn trust AICN, theyre not very reliable.

I heard the reason they passed on it was that it was too 'english'. If that was the case then they can just forget the entire series as it was created by the english and its a very english show.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 05:00:15 PM »

Could be that Scifi just doesn't know what a good show is.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »

Davros (in that link) just described *every episode of Dr Who, EVER*. I like the show, but it has always possessed every quality that he now finds unacceptable. The show has had the feel of a fan produced parody almost as long as TV has existed.

The "too English" thing bugs me. Practically every show on TV is based on a British show "translated" from English into... less charming English. Man, any American that dosen't like the English version of a show isn't going to like the English version either! Arse, knickers, tarts, etc, are more pleasant and amusing than their American equivalents, and it's not like they have any words over there that are incomprehensible to anyone here. I think it's another effect of how LA people always ask "Will this play in Peoria?" and assume that the people of "Peoria" have no frontal lobes and will become disoriented, freak out and start throwing stuff if someone says bloody instead of motherf**ker.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 01:22:17 PM »

A disappointment? Who can say? Not me, as I haven't seen it. I would like to see it, so I make my own judgment on it, especially as I was a big fan of the original series. Or,  for that matter, take anybody else's opinion on it.  As for the complaint that it is too English, I can't abide any of the American cop shows now on television. On the other hand, I am a faithful fan of all the British cop and detective shows that are shown on Monday nights on BBC in America. Thus, a show being "too English" doesn't bother me at all.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 04:32:20 PM »

I've seen a lot of other differing opinions on it .  I would hope we do get to see it in the states  sometime.  I need to keep my reputation as having seen all the Doctor's different incarnations.

To me Pertwee will always be the best because he was swashbuckler of the bunch .

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 08:22:27 AM »

I'm more partial to Tom Baker, not just because he's the Doctor I remember most as a kid, but also because he's the most playfully eccentric.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about this show. With so much disagreement between people who have seen it, there is a very good chance it will be worth watching.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jamtoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 09:13:58 AM »

I bet you anything that Scifi want to slap that "Scifi Original Series" banner on the show and BBC said "NO!  It's OUR show"

Good for BBC!

Seven years on MacGyver and you cannot figure this out? We got belt buckles, shoe laces, and a piece of gum. Build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.  You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick, and now you are now 'Mr. MacUseless'.
DARKWOLF
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 11:17:24 PM »

I thought there was already a new Doctor Who out there because of the tv-movie I saw back in the late 90's.
Flash T
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 07:10:59 AM »

You really shouldn't read too much into internet opinions, especially AICN.

I saw Dr Who on Saturday night. It was good. Eccleston is a fantastic choice for the Doctor and Billy Piper stands up for herself. As for modernizing the show, try as I might I couldn't see the modern make-over, sure FX are slicker and the sets don't wobble but for me thats the standard and dont really want the crap production values of twenty years ago!

Watch it with an open mind, I did and enjoyed it.
AlexB
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 02:28:47 AM »

My opinion exactly. Alright it may not make television history, but it is a perfectly enjoyable show and the Eccleston - Piper combo works fine. Just like the old days with Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred.
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 02:57:13 PM »

I liked McCoy too, though Baker was the first i saw.
This has potential...if maby BBC America will run it!
Too English...what kneebiters! These people are mentaly challanged Alsatians with the mange!
Maby thats why we can't get RED DWARF here....to afraid Listers accent will put off viewers.....clutural Vikeing, the lot of 'em....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 07:39:44 PM »

I heard a long time ago that they might be working on an American version of Red Dwarf, then a little while latter, Homeboys From Outer Space came out, and I was afraid that might have been it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't though.

http://davemunger.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Dr. Who a disappointment? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.