Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:57:52 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Damnation Alley! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Damnation Alley!  (Read 3013 times)
Alan Smithee
« on: March 07, 2005, 06:50:29 PM »

I'm surprised the webmaster of this site doesn't have a review for this crappy movie (unless he thinks it's a 'good' movie).

What's amazing is that the movie studio had more faith in this turkey than it did with some other obscure sci-fi movie (cough*Star Wars*cough) back when it was released in 1977.

I think most of the budget went into that armored mobile home that was the movie's centrepiece.
Eirik
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 07:37:17 PM »

I loved this cheesey movie.  The beginning when the woman falls off the motorcycle and then you see a scene of tarantulas devouring a Barbie doll... I almost didn't get that it was supposed to be giant spiders eating the girl.  And I just loved how somehow Albany, New York, survived the nuclear war and people were hanging out on their neighborhood streets like it was any other Saturday morning.  Actually, to be fair to the movie, the Soviets may have logically reasoned that the worst thing to do to Albany would be to leave it as-is.
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 08:43:35 PM »

I love that movie too.  Yeah the special effects were funny but that didn't detract from the enjoyment at all.  When we toured Universal Studios years ago they had that Landmaster sitting in a lot across the street and we got to gawk at it.  Next to that was the hovercar from the Logan's Run TV series.  Pure heaven for a kid in his early teens!

Matt
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 08:44:27 PM »

I liked "The Killer Cockroaches".
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:46:16 PM »

Fun, underrated movie which I (and others) happen to enjoy. Its long-awaited widescreen DVD release is due out later this year from Anchor Bay.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »

I liked it the last time I saw it, might or might not if I saw it again. I remember that they thought the guy had a woman on his motorcycle, he pushes her off, giant scorpions attack, and then you see that it's just a mannequin he found somewhere. I learned right on this board that it was made for TV.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 10:43:39 PM »

Dave Munger wrote:

> I learned right on this board that it was made for TV.

You learned incorrectly, because the movie was made for THEATRICAL release. It was filmed in widescreen....which is simply NOT done for tv movies...and was released in the "Sound 360" process (aka 4-track stereo).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 11:13:35 PM »

Yeah I remember my dad and some friends went to see it in the theater when it came out.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 07:08:21 AM »

Post-apocalyptic adventure with George Peppard, Jan Michael Vincent and Paul Winfield in it? How could any B-movie fan not like that?

This is one of the three roles I most identify Peppard with: Hannibal Smith, Space Cowboy and this guy. Really coloured my impression of Breakfast at Tiffany's when I finally saw it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 01:35:41 PM »

And let us not forget Jackie Earle Haley as the kid in the movie. Who, by the way, is back in motion pictures after some twelve years, appearing in the remake of "All the King's Men."

I, too, saw this, when it first came out. While not by any means a great sci-fi film. It it memorable, and is probably best enjoyed as being an example of a good "bad" movie, like many of the movies on this site.

As a side note, it is based on the superior novel, of the same title, by sci-fi writer Roger Zelazny, which I have also read.

Yaddo 42
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 12:38:54 AM »

I think I mentioned this in another thread about this film, but a lot of people THINK this was a TV movie because we first saw it on network TV as kids in the early 80s around the time Peppard and JM Vincent returned to regular TV series. I did when I first saw it.

A fun bad movie typical of the era, before "Star Wars" changed the industry and what sci-fi films were like. Since studios are businesses that want to play it safe as much as possible to get their money back, I can see why at the time they would have more faith in this film. It was something they were familar with.

AndyC, what no love for George Peppard as Banacek? TV's hippest, smuggest, mystery solving, Polish proverb-spouting, freelance insurance investigator and international playboy. Only Peppard could explain every episode's hoaky and convoluted heist scheme (they made the scheme's in Scooby Doo episodes look like simple liquor store robberies by comparison) with a straight face.
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 01:10:08 AM »

Yeah, I've been convinced it was made for TV for years, then someone here straightened me out. Probably the same guy as this time. But I switched it all around in my head already! I'm pretty sure I've seen that vehicle in a couple of other places too. Maybe TV movies, that could contribute to the confusion.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 07:59:37 AM »

Banacek! How could I have forgotten? My only defense is that I didn't get into that show until A&E reran it in the 90s. The others, I remember from much earlier.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 06:21:10 PM »

Never mind...someone removed him already.

Post Edited (03-18-05 06:40)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 02:22:02 PM »

Gotta love the cockroach 'carpet' effect...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Damnation Alley! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.