Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:12 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What flicks have you seen lately? (part 3) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What flicks have you seen lately? (part 3)  (Read 1987 times)
Cheecky-Monkey
« on: March 09, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »

Alien Lockdown (2004)-- A genetically engineered alien creature is loose in a lab in the middle of nowhere, and a military team is sent in to neutralize it. While clearly ripping-off many other films of its type, its decent entertainment in that its got stylish direction, great creature effects (okay so the creature is taken directly from "predator" but it looked great nonetheless), plenty of gore and an amusing performance from John Savage as a mad doctor.
Well-done, if familiar.
3 stars out of 5.

Pi (1998)-- A mathmatic genius discovers a 216-digit number that when decode , may turn out to be the name of god. Honestly don't know how to judge this little oddity. Well-made, well-shot, well-acted, intelligent and unique, but in the end a little unsatisfying. An acquired taste.
? out of 5.

The Bone Snatcher (2003)-- A gigeresque monster is on the loose in the Namib desert, terrorizing a group of miners (Instead of obnoxious teens for a change!) stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Cool and original flick benefits from excellent direction, good acting, stunning locations and photography, an excellent score, a really cool monster and a good atmosphere. A rather weak script tends to drag things down.
3-and-a-half-stars out of 5.

The Church (1988)-- Strange goins' ons' begin when a portal to hell is opened in the basment of a cathedral, releasing demonic creatures. Though badly written and poorly dubbed, its kind of fun. There are some great special effects, like the demon-dragon-gargloyle creature, some pretty bad effects, like the truly pathetic scene with a fish creature popping out of an alter bowl to eat some poor sap's face, plenty of gore, visually pleasing photography, and a really cool, funky score.
Unfortunately nothing here makes any sense (what the hell happened to all the kids in the church? why did they disappear?) but its mindless entertainment, with a
cute and off-beat ending.
2-and-a-half-stars out of 5.

Demons at the door (2004)-- The gate to hell is opened and racist, jive-talkin' demons are released. THE worst movie I'v ever seen. Well, second worst (The first being "The Item" (1999)). The special effects are so incredibly awful, the writing is so corny, the acting so bad, how this got made is beyond me. Must be seen to be believed, any even then you'll find yourself questioning if what you just sat through was a bad dream or just something a group of kids with a 8mm camera made over summer vacation.
1 star out of 5.

Demons (1985)-- A theatre is overrun by zombies. No meaning, message, or sense, but highly entertaining, chintzy stuff. Loaded to the brim with grotesque special effects, gore, and bad dialog, it won't challenge your brain but its a fun ride. Obviously influenced by the films of George Romero (Then again, what zombie movie of the past 3 decades HASN'T been?).
3 stars out of 5.

The Lost boys (1987)-- A teen is lurred into a gang of vampires when he moves into a California town. A boring, dull mess. Some nice gore effects, but everything else is dated, cheesy and predictable. Not worth its cult statis at all.
2 stars out of 5.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 09:47:21 PM »

I remember seeing the film DEMONS a few years back. It's an Italian horror film that I thought was ok, but not great.

I've occasionally thought back on this film. It seem that in my memory it has become an enjoyable experience. Even more enjoyable than when I actually viewed it. Figure that one out.

Sometimes I think back on films that I've seen and have better opinions about it a couple weeks later than when I actually saw it and sometimes worst opinions than when I saw it.

Been wanting to finish LOST BOYS as I've only seen the beginning. It looked good, but perhaps I should heed Cheeky-Monkeys on this one.

THE CHURCH and THE BONE SNATCHER have both caught my attention on various shelves. Maybe I'll check them out.

Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

You might enjoy the lost boys, Scott, it seems most people who see it do.
I don't know...it just didn't do anything for me.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:10:34 AM »

Bone Snatcher was on Scifi last year and so was Alien Lockdown.  I saw Bone Snatcher in the discount bin at the Wallymart.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:23:39 AM »

Lost Boys didn't do much for me either Monkey, yet everyone loves it.

Here's my thoughts on the other flicks:

Pi - Wow, wow wow wow wow!  I love this flick.  It is deep, confusing, and never gives too much away.  The final scene with the drill is fantastic.  This is a flick that gets better each time you see it.  Also check out Aronofsky's second film - Requiem For A Dream.

The Church - Saw this one about 6 years ago on video.  Another great Italian flick.  The beginning with the flashback to the crusades really hooks you into the flick.  The only thing that I didn't like about it was that it was a bit similiar to Demons.

Demons - Haven't seen this one in years, but I did love it.  Great Argento written flick.  If it seems a bit like the Romero films, then you are partially correct.  Argento had quite a bit to do with Romero's Dawn Of The Dead and he wrote Demons, so I can see how the similiarties exist.  He also wrote the afrorementioned Church.

As for my recent viewings, I saw Sky Captain, and Ray.

Sky Captain - Great flick that really put me off within the first 5 minutes.  Just took me awhile to get used to the style.  Quite inventive, fun as hell, and it was great to see Sir Lawerence Olivier again.

Ray - Fantasic flick.  I was quite skeptical when first reading they were making a Ray Charles biopic, but it's amazing.  Jamie Foxx hit the ball right out of the park with his performance of Ray Charles.  I couldn't believe it.  By far one of the best films I've seen this year, and one I'm going to buy ASAP.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 07:33:16 PM »

Skaboi, since you loved the church, a few questions-- What is with the scene where the boy in the church asks the other boy to 'watch him sleep'? did you understand that?
and do you know what HAPPENED to the 25 or so kids? wy'd they just disappear?
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 10:11:11 PM »

Cheecky-Monkey,

Unfortunatly, as I mentioned in my previous post, it was about 6 years since I last saw it.  The only things that really stick out in my mind are the opening, the jackhammer scene, and a young Asia Argento.  And for some reason I'm remembering a woman in a white dress that gets stuck in the church.

As for anything beyond that, I'm pretty much at a loss.  I remember liking it quite well (unless my memory is tricking me - wouldn't be the first time), and I remember thinking it was quite similar to Demons.

I'll have to track down a copy of it soon.  The mom N pop video store that carried it is now out of business and I'll have to check out the local Blockbuster.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 01:01:46 PM »

When you see it again, let me know if you understand what in the hellofspongebob was going on!
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 01:21:01 PM »

Cheecky,

Will do

Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 12:26:07 AM »

Thanks, because I've watched the scenes over and over and over agian, but I still just scratch my head each time I watch them.
Maybe some scenes are missing from the region 1 DVD or something...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What flicks have you seen lately? (part 3) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.