Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:11:34 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Heart of Darkness? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heart of Darkness?  (Read 2089 times)
Vermin Boy
« on: December 02, 2001, 01:55:27 AM »

Hey,

I seem to recall seeing a TV special (on TNT, IIRC) about Apocolypse Now that featured clips of an earlier adaptation of Heart of Darkness, starring Boris Karloff as Kurtz. Did I imagine this, and if not, does anyone have any info on it? I vividly recall seeing Boris saying "The horror... The horror..."
Cullen
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2001, 02:29:19 AM »

Okay.  Here's what I know.

I saw a special on Biography about Karloff where he appeared in a live TV production of "Heart of Darkness" with Roddy McDowall.  McDowall has,in his IMDb entry, a credit for HoD under the TV show "Playhouse 90".  However, Karloff doesn't have a simular entry, nor does IMDb list any joint ventures between Karloff and McDowall.

So, in summary, either IMDb doesn't have it's facts straight on this point (which is possible, even though the sites damn reliable on most things) or you and I both imagined the same thing.
Scott
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2001, 09:04:49 AM »

I have a copy of documentary type film calledHEART OF DARKNESS, but I haven't seen it in years, but I recall that the story was attempted years before Coppola did it, I think Orson Welles was trying to do something with the story, but the story written by Joseph  Conrad was to much to put on the screen at the time, so it wasn't completed or possible never started. I think Coppola did a great job with APOCOLYPSE NOW.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2001, 11:31:34 AM »

I tend to side with the IMDb being mistaken on this one, as I'm 99% sure I saw that clip, and the IMDb doesn't always have their facts straight (until a couple of days ago, they had Jeffrey Combs listed as having died in the 9/11 attacks; while there was a Jeffrey COOMBS aboard one of the planes, ol' Herbert West is alive and well). Either way, thanks for the info.
yaddo42
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2001, 12:46:41 PM »

I think you saw an episode of "Great Books" about "Heart of Darkness" on TLC. That's where I saw the clips of Karloff and McDowell. I would like to see the whole show someday. TLC or the people who produce the "Great Books" series might have some more information about the Karloff version.

Those old TV drama shows used to do lots of adaptations of classic literature. I saw parts of TV versions of "Frankenstein" and "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" on SciFi Channel's Retro TV a few years ago. It makes sense, source work in the public domain and stories the audience is already familiar with.
Neville
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2001, 08:35:57 AM »

I know this is not what you asked about, but there is a straight-forward adaptation of "Heart of darkness" starring John Malkovich and Tim Roth. I think it was shot for TV, but I guess it would be worth a look.

Also, can anybody tell me if "Apocalypse now Redux" is closer to Conrad than the original? Nothing against the old version, really, but I am curious since it is difficult that ANR will make its way towards a theatrical release where I live.

But please, don't enumerate the differences between both cuts, because I have already read a lot about it.

By the way, all those interested can get an early draft of "Apocalypse now" at www.movie-page.com "scripts" section.  THAT one is quite close to Conrad, but I guess it was never shot as it is, though some parts of ANR are present, such as the French plantation episode.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Heart of Darkness? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.