Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:11:32 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Buffy" - heavy bad taste material « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Buffy" - heavy bad taste material  (Read 7004 times)
Wence
« on: March 16, 2005, 06:16:49 PM »

Perhaps this topic was already or even too often discussed but I need to bring it up - the time has come...
While I am writing this I´m watching TV, too - it´s the umpteenth episode of "Buffy - the Vampire-Hunter/Huntress?".

It´s long ago when I saw Buffy´s face on the screen for the last time. I remember that I always thought that it´s something very stupid and embarassing, but all in all not worth to be mentioned on a site for the fans of "special" TV/Film entertainment.

So now I am watching "Buffy" again and I hardly can believe what´s going in this train wreck of a series...
A group of teens hanging up in an alabama? village saving the world from all kinds of monsters and evil undead? mkay...

A vampire-hunter falling in love with a demon-vampire? mkay...
What next?
Zombie has baby from liaison with ghoul, lesbian witch has one-night-stand with undead chaos sorcerer, gay demon is in love with gay mummy???
hey, I am serious! I´am watching buffy and a won´t be surprised when something like that happens the next 5 minutes... :)

I´m absolutely no fan of TV-productions, especially series. I thought that as a fan of bad taste filmwrecks "The Immortal" would stay the only "good" one.
It seems that buffy is in some way "interesting", too.

Anyone got something to say to this?
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:44:25 PM »

K?

What show were you watching?

Buffy the Vampire slayer was an excellent series which created a fantastic mythology surrounding Vampires, and various other monsters and incorporated them all in the one world.  Joss Whedon was genius.

Watch episodes such as Hush, Once More With Feeling, and the one where the third member of the trio [the 'good' one, I can't remember his name!] has an earlier episode based on him.  Quality TV is something that is so rare these days, and whilst Buffy did waver in some spots as would any series that goes for 7 seasons or so.

All the cinema studies faculty are all Gaga over Buffy, and as a result every year hold a Buffy-fest, in which academics study and theorise and generally go over the technical and academic merit such a series has in comparison to many many other less worthy TV shows.

Unless of course you were talking about some new Buffy spin off I know nothing about yet and is actually justifiably crap, I would have to say that you must be CRAZY, whilst respecting your right to have a different [and completely wrong!] opinion and taste in TV.   :-P

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
peter johnson
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 11:44:26 PM »

I worked with Michelle Trachtenberg 4 years ago when she was 15.
I have a picture of her snugging me --
Showbiz has some perks . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
Wence
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 08:37:10 AM »

dean wrote:

"Buffy the Vampire slayer was an excellent series which created a fantastic mythology surrounding Vampires, and various other monsters and incorporated them all in the one world. Joss Whedon was genius."

Is this really your standpoint or do you want to take the p**s out of me? :-)
 Perhaps I am to dumb to understand your humor but...
"fantastic mythology surrounding Vampires"??? ok, I saw 3-4 Buffysodes - maybe that´s not enough to say Buffy is one of the most silly series that TV customers ever had to bear...

I did not say that Buffy is not wellknown or that it has no fans. Maybe that´s the point why I am mocking it - this crap has too many serious fans!

People who look as if spellbound on the TV screen - they´re looking at Buffy - the Vampire-Slayer. Will she have it off with Vampire Spike? Or is she keen on a Ghoul this time? What happens next? Do they save the world by wrestling around in the backyard with the forces of absolute Evil? Will the future of the world be again decided in a small US village? Noone knows - the audience is excited... Arghhh!!!  

Be sure I count myself a Buffy-fan if the next episode is what I expect: hardcore-nonsense
:-P
odinn7

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 09:10:19 AM »

I liked the show for the first 2 or 3 seasons. Then it just became an absolute mess. It was a soap opera with vampires, nothing more. I can't understand all the fans, I really can't.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Wence
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 09:17:17 AM »

Odinn7

I am glad that you think the same about "Buffy"

Would you say it´s god enough for a laugh or that it´s too bad even for looking it with friends and beer?
dean

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 10:11:38 AM »

I'll admit that some of the last few series was stretching it a bit, but no, I was not taking the p**s earlier nor joking.  I have yet to see many movies or TV series that has handled the whole Vampire and other monsters thing as well as Buffy has.

And I'm not all crazy about plot: sometimes it can be a bit ridiculous, but I have the greatest admiration for those who worked on this film.  They aren't afraid to take the p**s out of themselves either.  I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar; she is quite annoying, but I don't care.  The way this series was made was excellent.  Some of the episodes and moments they have pulled out have been pure and utter genius, from tacky musical episodes, to ones without talking or without music.  Plus it doesn't fixate itself into one area: I remember it was having trouble in the Emmy department, because noone seemed to know what category to put it in.

Yes its a cult TV show, and I understand why it may not be everybodies thing, but to say that a show such as this has no merit [not that anyone did, but implying that fans of the show must be crazy kinda does suggest that viewpoint] is quite riduculous.  

It's almost as if this thread was started to get Buffy fans all angry and outraged!!!! [which I'm not, just annoyed at misguided opinions]

As a fan of this series, its hard to not be biased, but I do suggest you go see some of the classier episodes before you pass too much judgement on a show that is much better than the average p**s poor TV programming [Though without watching alot of episodes, you'll probably be a bit distanced from it].  Give me this over Everybody Loves Raymond any day.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 11:22:53 AM »

Wence wrote:

> Odinn7
>
> I am glad that you think the same about "Buffy"
>
> Would you say it´s god enough for a laugh or that it´s too bad
> even for looking it with friends and beer?

Well, here's the thing about this show. I did like the first 2 or 3 seasons and I can't recall where it all started to go downhill but once it did, I tried to watch it in hopes that it would come back to where it was. Unfortunately, it wasn't funny, just annoying. Figure this: They turned Willow into a dyke. She became some super witch almost over night. Spike went from being mr. bad guy to sometimes bad but since he loves Buffy, he's a good guy...just not accepted. What's his name (the older guy that oversees everything) left the show (big loss). They killed off Buffy's mother (she was annoying anyway). Gave her a sister that wasn't really a sister but a "key". Had some underground military organization that was experimenting with a super soldier made out of the undead. Buffy fell in love with one of the military guys, then he needed to disappear. Buffy died. She came back to life and was mad about it...Oh, forget it. It just got too out of hand there. I used to bet my wife that we would tune in and see Buffy looking all dejected and dealing with some kind of inner turmoil. I was right...every show of the last few years it ran I was right. I will say, it was a good and fairly well thought out show until they decided it should become a soap opera.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »

I am a fan of Buffy but I stopped watching it when it switched channels ( it went from the WB to UPN). Don't know what happened,  I did not like the whole Buffy sister thing, I did like Spike becomeing good but did not like the love thing with Buffy, Bringing back Buffy was already done, (watch the first season). I just had to many problems with it. Same thing with Angel, when he got a son I stopped watching it till its final season which I watched every epsiode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Wence
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 02:53:55 PM »

dean,

please don´t take it too serious. I brought up this topic not expecting buffy-fans on this site.
I regard this site as a forum for lovers of unwillingly fun or simply "trash"...

I hope that you understand that when I bring up something about TV or film it is has not the aim of "attacking" fans of the film, series or whatever. I just report about what I think about it.
And that with Buffy ...hm, maybe it´s for the dialogues, too - it might be that they´re badly translated from english to german.

Perhaps I should watch all buffysodes to get an other picture of this series but I fear losing some of my IQ when trying that... :-P

Believe it or not I expected some more agreement here :-(
I know many people who regard buffy as simply stupid and/or boring.

If Buffy gets a little bit more crappy and stupid,then maybe I will like it really...
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »

You cannot expect everyone on the board to have the same 'taste' as you.  Over the past few years, there have been some interesting discussions on the lines of

One:   SUCKS!!
Two:  No it doesn't.  I liked it.
One:  How can you like it?
Two:  You are just stupid and did not get it.  You have to be smart to like it.
One:  I'm not stupid, and I did get it.  I just don't like it.
Two:  I liked it, so everyone should like it.

Bottom line, we all react differently to different things.  A joke I think is funny, you might think is lame.  My wife likes Fear Factor.  I HATE it.  I like computers, she doesn't.  We find a way to get along.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Wence
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 03:32:40 PM »

yes you´re right
Eirik
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »

They should have left it at the Kristy Swanson movie...  or at least gotten her for the TV series.
DARKWOLF
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 02:33:49 PM »

I am a little of a fan but I didn't like what they did with Xander and Oz. First Xander: They  give Willow powers then his ex girlfriend I forgot her name that's on Angel powers what about him. I waited since the show first came on to see if they made him superhuman but in one episode it's just like what they did with poor Joxer on Xena. Next Oz: Made a so so good couple with Willow but I know Xander is her true love. They  gave a werewolf girlfriend I think when he and Willow broke up but she made him kill stupid. Then when came back to school surprise Willow your ex girlfriend you still love is now a lesbian. Man I miss the old days of sci fi when man where very strong not just a whimmpy sidekick and boyfriend.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 09:12:34 PM »

I can't stand Buffy.

I never understood the fascination.
I mean, I like vampires and monsters and all that s**t, but Buffy just plain sucks.

To me, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is strictly for the kiddies....

Post Edited (03-20-05 20:37)
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Buffy" - heavy bad taste material « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.