Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:28:36 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Everyone's favorite director gets to remake Death Race 2000 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Everyone's favorite director gets to remake Death Race 2000  (Read 6277 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 10:11:15 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........(just me trying to laugh you off the board)...

Seriously....It could be argued that Anderson isn't a bad director, and I certainly agree with your Milla Jovovich (wow, say that name 3 times fast) comment. I was one of the ones that didn't think AvP was too bad it, just could've used slightly more violence. BUT...He himself said that he wants more emphasis on the race. The original movie was not about a race really, that was secondary. No good can come out of this, I truly believe this. Dean had likened this to what was done to Rollerball and I completely agree with that asessment.

Post Edited (03-23-05 17:09)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Flangepart

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 10:47:35 AM »

I'm with Vermin. How can you do this without the satire? The run overs were indeed the point! Modern gladiatorisim with the nazi like aspects included.
Its going to be another version of "The fast and the furious" without...wait...they might GET Vin Diesal for the Frankenstein part....Ewww...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 01:21:56 PM »

I have to agree with Mr. Hockstatter, all of Anderson's movies aren't crap, I didn't care about the Resident Evil movies and never saw them.  I liked Soldier and Event Horizon was okay.

I borrowed my brother's copy of AVP and I thought it was a pretty good movie. It wasn't as memorable as Alien, Aliens , or Predator, but sequels usually aren't.

I don't trust him with a classic like Death Race though. It will end up just being another action flick with none of the satire of the original.

I think what people don't take into account is that his films are profitable and that's what keeps him working not whether we think they are any good.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 10:29:58 PM »

Mr Hockstatter,

>>>>though from what I understand it's the story that sucked, not necessarily the directing>>>

He also did the story for AVP.

Look, after everything bad is said about Paul W Anderson, I do have to say that his sense in directing style is pretty good.  AVP did have a good look about it and had some pretty good moments.

But the thing that makes him the nemesis of all movie fans is how he treats his source material.

I enjoyed Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon.  Resident Evil was ok, but considering his source material for both that and AVP, it would have been hard to get it wrong, yet he did.

The story for Resident Evil wasn't too bad, but he could have just made an original zombie film without touching on the Resident Evil story, that way it could be done properly, and we'd have a perfectly fine Zombie film from him.

AVP was a sorry sorry movie.  It had some good moments, and some good ideas, but overall it was a very poor attempt at making a good Alien or Predator movie [though I guess Alien 3 and Ressurection weren't too much better anyway]

As a big fan of the AVP concept I thought that he could have done so much better, even if it still had to be PG-13 [which, I've heard, is one of his excuses as to why it isn't as good as it could be]

So we can count on Anderson trying to put alot of his 'original' ideas into Death Race 3000, and making it a shadow of its former movie, when in fact he could have made an original concept which is similar, and not got people's feelings involved.  It's almost as if in order to be allowed to make a film, he has to pitch the idea as an adaptation or remake, otherwise they won't let him do it.

But despite my ill feelings towards Paul Anderson's overall works, I don't want to cast final, ultimate judgement until it is finished.  Even Vin Diesel as Frankenstien won't make me shudder, until I see it on screen for myself.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 12:22:52 AM »

Anderson is nothign but a pile. We're all better off ignoring whatever he makes like smart badmovie fans.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
peter johnson
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 12:42:36 AM »

Whereas Deathrace was an exploitation cheapie made to captialize on "Rollerball", and whereas Rollerball was remade to resounding silence, I predict the same fate for this thing --
Old question/old cry:  With so many many many original scripts/unfilmed short stories out there, please stop p**sing your money away on dubious remakes!!
You're not going to make any money on this -- You're not!  So please ask a geek about what stories might make a good low-budget cheapie flick & go from there --
Jeez!!!
peter johnson/denny crane
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 08:46:26 AM »

I too am tired of remakes.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 11:48:35 AM »

One thinkg I'm sorta curious about is that "Deathrace 2000" used the race and  the killing as sorta a motivation to show things about American culture; particular gameshows, celebrities, etc...

In many ways Corman said "this is where we are going" and in many., many ways, we've already gotten there.  If Deathrace 2000 was an exaggeration of where we were then, it's more of a farce of where we are today.

For a remake to work, you would have to look at where we are today, project where we are going, and then make it over-the-top silly.  It's the ability to be that clever and insightful that would convern me as to anyone able to pull it off

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
mr brigs blah blah
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 04:20:01 PM »

STARRING:

Jeff Foxworthy as Calamity someone

Eminem as Nero the Hero

Arnold schtwartzenegger as Herman the German

Tom Cruise as Laser Gun Viterlbo

Keanu Reeves as Frankenstein
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 08:58:01 AM »

What's next, a remake of EAT MY DUST?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
h.p. Love
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 05:44:53 PM »

At least this latest piece of remake junk will be somewhat retitled with "3000." Because 2000 would sound outdated, right? If they ever remake 2001 it'll be retitled 3001 for sure. Deathrace 2000 worked because it was campy and lately no one, especially the director with the pretentious two middle initials,  can recreate campy. Who will take the roles held by Stalone and Carradine? Most likely some nameless OC extras. Carradine was perfectly creepy and Paul Bartel was a gifted fellow.

When did this remake fad start? Because I don't remember it until the Star Wars revisions and Planet of the Apes. They have all been abysmal acts of careless recycling. In the last five years there have been hardly any original and memorable big-budget offerings. The Chainsaw remake was beyond bad. The first had that great documentary feel so what do they do but make a slick and polished looking version with Abercrombie models. There is a benefit to hiring talented unknowns instead of pretty no-talents: It's easier to identify with the everyman or everywoman. I can connect with a normal looking guy with the talent to play the role. I think Scream sort of set the opposite as a rule. Everyone wants to build a franchise so they hire based on youth and looks, betting on future films instead of making anything of quality.

I just checked out the IMDB page for 3000 and it says the race takes place in 2020. That makes a lot of sense.

I'm bitter.
2xSlick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 08:02:06 AM »

Good grief
This news will probably ruin my day. Which studio is putting this out? There's no way a major studio would let Corman direct it so why not let Corman remake it independently and release it through Lions Gate? Or if the executives are adamant about releaseing this as a big budget movie, let Paul Verhoeven direct it. He has Corman's camp/satire and is good with big budget action movies. Why Anderson? What, is he a HUGE fan like he is of Aliens hugging Predator? Obviously not since he doesn't git the whole premise. Okay, I'm done ranting.... KHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs -For the worst in video game and movie reviews, mostly dealing with zombies.
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 11:49:33 AM »

Now there's a classic.  I loved that movie.  Nothing takes me back to the '70s more completely than Ron Howard in a stolen stock car trying to impress some girl.  The atmosphere of that thing is great.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Everyone's favorite director gets to remake Death Race 2000 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.