Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:41:58 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Highlander: the Quickening « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Highlander: the Quickening  (Read 2833 times)
Alan Smithee
« on: March 25, 2005, 09:19:59 AM »

I had the luxuary of viewing this wonderful piece of cinema at 4 am this morning on one of the more low-end cable stations and all I have to say is: damn. It's really rotten as they say it is. I never liked Highlander to begin with, and this sequel just is a mess in so many ways.

I just can't fathom why Connery choose to star in it. Even briefly. You'd think all he money in th world wouldn't lure a movie star of his stature to this piece of garbage.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:56:01 AM »

What I couldn't believe is the same guy that directed Highlander did this one too.  Highlander has the worst continuity of any franchise I've ever seen.

Everything movie wise is crap after the first one. I really liked the original and the tv show is kind of it's own thing.

I have seen rumors that someone is thinking about a number 5.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Eirik
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 10:13:21 AM »

"I have seen rumors that someone is thinking about a number 5."

Yes, they are: Highlander the Sickening.
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:58:35 PM »

"Eighty eight billion, trillion years ago, on the planet Zeist..."
WTF!!!
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 08:41:35 AM »

Re Connery's involvement:

Remember that he starred in the original in the mid-'80's, when his career wasn't as stellar as it was before or after.  He probably signed a contract which included a sequel clause; if they wanted him back, there's nothing he could do to get out of it.

Re Mulcahy making the first two pictures:

Also remember that a lot depends up on the script.  You'll note that the people credited with the story for the second movie are NOT any of the people who wrote the original screenplay.  Mulcahy was forced into a suck-ass script by the producers.  (Mulcahy's pretty hit-or-miss anyway -- for every Highlander, you've got  Tale of the Mummy or The Shadow...)

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:06:38 AM »

Not to mention the whole "The film went over budget and the insurance company ate my final cut" story. Still, since I haven't seen the "renegade cut" of the film, I can't tell if it is any better than the theatrical release.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 12:22:32 PM »

Haven't seen the renegade cut either, but it seems to me that there is really nothing you can do to save that story. Recutting the film might make some things make more sense within the context of the story, but that doesn't mean much when the whole story was a mistake.

It's been said many times: There should have been only one.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 03:45:58 PM »

This was both ebert and siskel's worst movie of the year that year
J Perk
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 10:27:31 AM »

The renegade version is better in the same sense that getting a paper cut is better than cutting yourself with a knife while washing dishes.  It doen't effect you much at first but by the en d it's still pretty painful.  It ties up the whole PLANET Zeist thing by maiking them from the past (or future I can't remember) and moves some cuts around.  But then it adds to the stupidest reason for any two people to hookup.  After Connor kills the two goons sent from the future to stop him from dying( because noone would believe that Connor McLeod of the clan mcleod would want to die) he talks to the reporter chick and says " I am Connor MacLeod of the clan McLeod, and i cannot die."  Then they begin to get busy in the alley and at his place.   If only that worked in real life, without any repurcusions.  (on a side note this was the inspiration of my Christopher Lambert trend thread a few months back)

While it makes more sense than The Quickening it still makes little sense .

Why would KAtana try to stop Mcleod from dying?  He was obviously threw with the game in the first place so let him die?

I stillthink the best part of the entire movie is when Ramirez gives his speech, before dying: " Most people have a full measure of life... and most people just watch it slowly drip away. But if you can summon it all up... at one time... in one place... you can accomplish something... glorious"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Highlander: the Quickening « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.