Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:33 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The problem with haunted house movies... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The problem with haunted house movies...  (Read 3810 times)
Alan Smithee
« on: March 26, 2005, 10:07:14 PM »

Poltergeist aside, where the girl is kidnapped by ghosts, just about every haunted house movie I've seen the family living in the house decides to stick around for no good reason.

Hell, if a book moved two inches across the table by itself, I'd be out the door faster than you can say "The Legend of Hell House". (Which the original 1970's Roddy McDowell version wasn't half 'bad'.)
Menard
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 10:10:28 PM »

You can afford to move out of a house you just bought? I can't afford to move out of this one, and I've owned it for years. (:

Alan Smithee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 10:23:36 PM »

Well, I'd do my best to work out some kind of arrangement.

But plates flying around in the air, doors slamming over and over by themselves, lights turning on and off, mysterious manisfestations, demonic voices, et. al would be too much for me.

Like that one Eddie Murphy concert video: just one ghostly "Get out!" and I'd be like, "See ya, I'm outta here...".
Menard
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

That's why every family should always own a tent. (:

Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:30:14 PM »

A good haunted house movie plays off the fact that people don't believe in haunted houses, so that's why they don't move out.  And by the time serious s**t starts happening, well, it's too late anyway.  I thought it was extremely cool in Poltergeist when the mom thought it was funny that when she put the little girl in one spot in the kitchen, she slid to another spot.  And mom smoked a little dope.  Pure genius when it comes to suspension of disbelief.  I could almost have seen myself in the early '80s doing something similar.  There was also that movie and a remake that took place in a mental institution, where the folks were locked in for the night.  I liked both of those.  Usually there's some reason they can't leave.  Haunted houses tend to have big steel gates that prevent anyone from fleeing.  I think it's kind of the exception to the rule when there's nothing stopping them from leaving.  Maybe it's a bet that they need to stay in the house for the night in order to win, or a college hazing prank, etc.  Whatever, there's usually a reason.

nobody
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:16:52 AM »

You shouldn't be asking why the family doesn't move out at the first sign of ghosts... you should be asking why the ghosts don't pull their magic tricks during the house tour (while the family is looking the place over with the retailer).

If I was shopping for a house, and entered one that had flying plates and bleeding walls, I'd skip it and move on to the next place.
Menard
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 01:04:43 AM »

I would say that THE HEARSE (1980) lacks any reason for Van Devere's character to stay in the house other than stubborness. Even with the strange stuff already happening, she has someone break into the house while she is there and is even attacked in the house; and she still stays. Since it is her late aunt's house, other than trying to wrangle the inheritance, it's not like she doesn't have anywhere else to go.

Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 01:30:27 AM »

How about the original "House" starring William Katt?
That film scared the s**t out of me when I was a kid!
Especially the scene where the monster bursts out of the attic closet.

And in that movie, there was no family to speak of...just Katt....all alone in that evil house.

"Ding dong...you're dead."

odinn7

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »

Ah, haunted houses are over-rated. Sure, if I bought a house that had bleeding walls, I'd need to find a solution. Menard is right, too expensive to move out of a house you just bought. Couldn't move out, who's gonna buy a house that has blood on the walls? So,  you just stay in that house and wait until you build some equity. Then you could take out a loan and buy another house and rent the bleeding walls one to a goth. That would probably work.

"Wow, this is a really nice house..."
"GET OUT!"
"...Too bad we can't stay."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 09:38:44 AM »

I suppose a lot of them do offer some reason for staying. The Shining had one of the best devices - a winding, unmaintained mountain road in the dead of winter. In The Changeling, the ghost's early activities were so subtle, they could be easily dismissed, and its later actions managed to arouse George C. Scott's curiosity. The House on Haunted Hill, as a Castle film, doesn't even try to come up with a believable set of circumstances - just a door like a bank vault, and a big cash payout for a lot of desperate people.

Amityville is pretty complicated, since James Brolin is in the thing's power, the kids are friends with it, the priest is prevented from helping, and Margot Kidder is pretty clueless.

I loved the satirical way it was played in Poltergeist. The suggestion that a bunch of modern-day suburbanites would find a haunted house kind of fun at first, then quickly become jaded about it, is pretty funny. You can't help but laugh at these people. And lightening the mood early on gives the scary bits more punch when the ghosts decide to get serious.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Alan Smithee
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 10:27:38 AM »

I'd probably check into a Super 8 and then the next morning call the people who sold me the house.

As an aside, My dad's girlfriend's nextdoor neighbor's house is allegedly haunted. The lady living there said that the previous own killed himself in the garage. According to te neighbor, who lives alone, she says that she always hears strange noises in the house. Or sometimes she'll here a door close in the basement or somewhere else when she is alone in the house. She always says she feels a presence in the house. But what really gets me is that one time that there was a really bad storm that knocked out the power, the next morning when the power came back on, she said that the microwave digital readout was displaying some something in French. My dad and said girlfriend say it for there very own eyes when they went over to visit her that morning. And by the way, the microwave wasn't made in France.

I've asked her if she feels creeped out about the house being possible haunted, and she says she seems to be at peace with the "ghostly occurances".
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 10:46:32 AM »

Let's not turn this into another "real-life hauntings" thread. It's a pretty good movie discussion as it is.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 10:42:20 PM »

Why shouldnt we have real life hauntings experiences listed? Makes everything more fun to read.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 11:06:44 PM »

That might be more appropriate in the "scariest thing" thread or something.

I like odin7's idea about selling a haunted house to a goth. I wonder if faking a haunting, like in Scooby Doo, could actually increase the value of a property, if you played your cards right?

Not entirely on topic, but my very favorite part of Poltergiest impish giggling at the very end of the ending credits.
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 10:04:25 AM »

"I wonder if faking a haunting, like in Scooby Doo, could actually increase the value of a property, if you played your cards right?"

Some business owners want verification that their places are haunted...I suppose that it's to increase business from people who hope to see an entity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The problem with haunted house movies... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.