Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:26:10 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Superman 3 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Superman 3  (Read 2124 times)
Alan Smithee
« on: April 02, 2005, 12:48:28 AM »

Finally watched Superman 3 again after all these years on dvd and it sure doesn't get any better with age.

You know you're in trouble right from the start with the lame opening credits. What were they thinking?! I bet people walked into the theatre and thought it was some other movie.

Then we have a woeully watered down Richard Pryor going through the motions.
I bet his character probably has just about the same screen time as Superman if not more. It sure seems that way.

And of course, the villians are a retread of the ones in the first movie. A Superman movie is only as good as its villians, and the ones here are cookie cutter,

The only good thing about the movie was near the end when Superman turns into a baddie. But apart from that, the movie pretty much stunk. And even the effects weren't really any good.
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 02:46:21 AM »

What were the opening credits like? I don't remember.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Alan Smithee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 09:23:49 AM »

It was some kind of akward slapstick routine or something you'd find in the Three Stooges or even the cartoons. It was a lame attempt at "light hearted humor".
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 10:04:39 AM »

The only part of this I enjoyed was when he was bad Superman and sitting in thebar breaking the liquor bottles by thumping them with peanuts.

Richard Pryor was way over the top in this.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:03:40 AM »

The biography I read of Richard Lester had an interesting chapter on this film. Lester was paid tons of money to direct it (above his typical fee or percentage), FU money they were calling it. Leading people to claim he held his nose and directed what he knew was going to be a lousy movie anyway, since the Salkinds were giving him enough money that he wouldn't have to take directing jobs he didn't want ever again. Lester admits he was paid very well, and admited that the film wasn't up to the standard he wanted, but denies he took on a film he knew was awful going in.

I'll have to dig the book out for more details. Might post more if I do.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:06:50 AM »

I didn't mind the comic bit at the beginning. It was one of the more clever parts of the movie. But turning the whole thing into a semi-comedy seemed like a weird choice. I suppose the movies were getting more lighthearted as they went along. Superman had a touch of humour, Superman 2 had quite a few funny bits that worked very well. I guess the pattern in Hollywood is if a little is good, then a lot should be fantastic, and so we got Superman 3. Making action-comedy out of it was bad enough, but who came up with the idea of mating a Superman movie with a Richard Pryor comedy? Pryor just seems so out of place here, and it's even weirder when they make him as much the star of the picture as Reeve.

What really bugged me, even when this movie came out, was the thoroughly unbelievable way they handled the whole computer thing. Not that it was uncommon, at that time, to overestimate what people could do with a computer, but this was ridiculous. Pryor takes a night-school course and becomes a super-hacker. I can accept the idea that he's supposed to have some innate talent in this respect, but it's a huge stretch. Then he's used for some fairly unremarkable jobs by a tycoon who should have people with far more expertise (and competence) at his disposal. And if that's not bad enough, he suddenly becomes an expert in designing computer hardware as well. On a few scraps of paper, he draws up plans for an enormous, artificially-intelligent computer with all manner of defensive mechanisms, missiles, ray guns, and the ability to turn people into cyborgs. Then they just up and build it for him, and it works perfectly. What the hell?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Superman 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.