Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:26:21 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 5760 times)
h.p. love
« on: April 02, 2005, 04:41:35 PM »

I'd love for this to be beyond just good. The cast looks good and Adams wrote the screenplay.  I never saw the tv adaptation but have the book and am currently listening to the audio book, which I recommend. The reader, Alexander Adams, is brilliant with the characters' voices. His Marvin the depressed robot and the enthusiastic computer are hilarious. I know it has to appeal to non-"geeks" at the box office these days, but I don't think this can be anything less than good or better with the people involved. It would be great if more sci-fi films come to theaters (or anything interesting for that matter).  Guess I'm growing tired of crap like sterile computer animation (robots), romance comedies (hitch), and indescribable crap (the pacifier).
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 04:45:26 PM »

I'm hoping this is good. I have read most of the books and seen the BBC version. The book was actually written after the BBC radio play.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Wence
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 07:56:55 AM »

This is one of the two movies I am waiting for this year.
The other one is StarWars Episode 3.
I hope that I will be disappointed by just one of these films
- I expect this disappointment at Episode 3...
Archivist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 07:02:56 PM »

I loved the TV series, and read the three then-available books right after I saw it back in the early, early 80's.  I also bought the radio series tapes produced by the BBC at that time.

In the 90's the BBC released a six-disc box set of the original radio series, and I discovered that there were changes in the tape version.  Get the box set if you are able, it is just superb.  The stereo effects and clarity of the sound are just phenomenal for an 'older' work.

The TV series has been released in Britain, so if your DVD setup is PAL-capable, see if you can get it.  It's old, campy, but a complete blast.

Can't wait to see what the future has in store.
h.p. love
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:37:29 PM »

I checked out the official movie site and the trailer. I'm officially looking forward to this one. If you go to the site, allow pop-ups or you won't get to torture Marvin.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high but I think it's about time us movie-goers were treated to a fun and intelligent new "classic" with some imagination. Growing up I remember Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones (before he could get a senior citizen discount), etc. Now if those are even re-released they are edited and diced into inferior versions. Nothing wrong with new movies, if there were any.

The word "terrorist" was removed from E.T. I guess because that would offend..uh...terrorists? And government agents' guns were changed into walkie talkies. Very scary. To make it really scary they should have had E.T. chased by a digital-obsessed director temporarily insane due to political correctness.
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:04:41 AM »

We shall see.
As i came at the story by the radio show, i'm leary of some of the changes.
Rickman sounds good as marvin, but an American Ford and Zaphod? Its just ain't right!
The visuals look stunning, and the "Movie trailer parody' Trailer is a hoot.
Still....

Ford :"Its almost a bad as being drunk."
Arther : "Whats so bad about being drunk?"
Ford : "You ask a glass of water."

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 02:00:09 PM »

I might be misremembering, but hasn't Zaphod always been portrayed as an American?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Scott H
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 03:31:53 PM »

I don't care about much else other than it better be funny. The book is great like that, and if this movie isn't funny, why would they make it? FUNNY DAMNIT! BE FUNNY!!

HAHAHA!!!

Archivist
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 09:13:37 PM »

Zaphod as American?  Seems to be so.  The TV series actor, who also did the voice in the radio and tape shows, had an American accent.  Can't recall if he actually WAS American, though.

~a~
h.p. love
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 11:18:13 PM »

I'm currently listening to the tapes and I don't think Z is defined as American but yeah, the reader sure gives him an American late-70s swinger sounding accent. I've got hopes for Mos Def as Ford. After all, Ford wasn't British really...he was from Beetlejuice.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 03:14:12 AM »

Finally saw the preview for this, have to say I'm encouraged even with the changes, but I can understand why. The preview made me laugh, and got me more excited to see the film than I would be to see the new SW film. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up. I even liked the different take on Zaphod's two heads. When I first heard Mos Def was Ford I was wary, but he comes off pretty well in the trailer.

I first saw the TV version on PBS (having never heard of any version), which lead me to the books. Between gifts for others and replacing copies that got loaned out and never came back, I've bought the first book at least four times. I now have one of those "all the books in one" omnibus versions that I don't loan out. Even enjoyed the uneven Dirk Gently books.

Sorry to say I've yet to hear the whole radio series, especially since that's the version Adams considered "canon" if HHGTTG can have a canon version.
peter johnson
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 10:49:38 PM »

Fun fact:
If you are a British production company, you cannot hire an American to play an American, unless you are willing to sign a slew of documents attesting to the fact that you auditioned numerous Britons for the role & they were all unsuitable.
England has one of the most protective Trade Unions for actors on the planet.
If you are watching a British TV production, or most films -- unless with International backing -- you are watching Brits doing American accents.
So, Zaphod certainly had his "Amurricanuurrr"-isms, but the actor is most definitely a Brit.
Yes, please work, movie.  TV show was grand -- radio show even better.  Please don't suck, movie.
Bad thing:  I've seen stills of the new Marvin.  Do not look good.  Panicy reaction setting in . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
Fearless Freep

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 10:00:30 AM »

I think the idea of using non-British actors could be a good thing. Arthur Dent's the only one who ever came across to me as having a distinctively British point of view.  The rest were aliens and seeing a bunch of Brits play a bunch of aliens works in a small scale all-British production.  If you are going to have a bigger budget and bigger production, might as well make it more realistic in the sense of being more cosmopolitan. Ford, Zaphod, and Trillian never really struck me as seeming to British in their actions and attitudes, at least in the books.  As a matter of fact, the name "Ford Prefect" was a joke that *only* the British would get and if you are going to expand it, they could even change his name to something that would work better with the joke.

It was the juxtaposition of the casual with the absurd that made "Hitchiker's.." work; the realization and observation that the universe is a really silly and non-sensical place if you stop to think about it, so most are better off just not dwelling on it too much.  If they can keep that focus and that feel, it could turn out really well; regardless of actors and accents and special effects and what the robots and characters look like

Post Edited (04-06-05 10:01)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 12:43:12 AM »

Arthur Dent: Alice in Wonderland?

The comercials I've seen so far don't seem to indicate that it's a comedy. Might this thing be intended to be just for people who're already into it + people who're into anything with lots of special effects?
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 07:29:23 AM »

The TV spots don't really portray it as a comedy, as Dave said.  I did happen to catch the trailer though before Sin City last week and it certainly has a lot of comedic elements.

I've pretty much talked my wife into going to see it.  She's never read any of the books and has only vague knowledge of the basic story.  We use Trillian as our IM service at home and she didn't believe me when I told her that Trillian was a character in HHGTTG.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.