Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:23:48 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Killers from Space (1954)...spoilers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Killers from Space (1954)...spoilers  (Read 1467 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 07, 2005, 03:56:45 PM »

Killers from Space (1954) Directed by W. Lee Wilder (Phantom from Space)

After a few minutes of narration and grainy Air Force stock footage, we see an atomic test explosion in the desert. Circling above in a jet fighter are Dr. Douglas Martin (Peter Graves) and his pilot. Doug is a nuclear scientist and he is taking radiation readings and such. They spot a shiny rock on the desert floor and fly close to investigate and lose control of the plane.

Next we see a helicopter (actually a couple of different ones) dispatched to the crash site. Back in the Colonel's office Doug's wife waits for word of her husband. She receives bad news, the pilot was found dead in the wreck and no sign of Doug. They assume he was blown to bits or something of the sort.

Well, next thing you know Doug is stumbling up to the front gate of the base. When the doctor examines him he appears okay except for a big, well healed scar on the left side of his chest that wasn't there before . Doug doesn't remember anything about the crash or how he got back to the base, he seems really obssessed about his work, though. The FBI considers him a security risk so they revoke his clearance.

Doug gets really p**sed when they won't tell him about the next test and he reads about it in the morning paper. He goes down to talk to the Colonel and is told to go home. Instead he hangs around the office until his colleague Dr. Kruger (Kurt Grestle) leaves. He breaks into the safe in Krugers office and copies some information from the classified files.

Doug drives to the desert, while the AP at the base finds the open safe. The FBI gets Kruger back to the base to answer questions about the open safe. They figure out Doug did it (he left some pipe tobacco behind). Doug arrives near the plane crash site and starts to place a note under a rock, when the FBI agent grabs him (amazing that they do an investigation, go to his house, and yet the FBI guy has time to beat Doug to his destination). They fight and Doug gets the better of him and flees. Time for an all points bulletin.

They finally grab Doug after he wrecks his car. When they get him back to the hospital the doctor injects him with truth serum. Doug starts singing.

He tells them how he woke up on a table in a cave with strange guys with big eyes (think 3 stooges and fried eggs) and bushie eyebrows. He watches them place his heart back in his chest and heal the wound (seems Dougie was dead when they found him). He is then taken to their leader who tells him of a coming invasion.

Doug doesn't cooperate when they want him to give them info on future nuclear tests, so they throw him in a cavern where he encounters lots of rear-projected giant bugs and lizards.The leader tells him that is how they  are going to conquer Earth. They have been capturing the energy from the atomic blasts and storing it to use for mutating the giant insects. The energy from one more blast will allow them to accelerate the breeding cycles of the beasties and they can set them loose on the unsuspecting world. They end up hynotizing Doug to help them and they set him free.

Well, nobody believes Doug, they think he's gone off the deep end. Once he comes out from under the drug and remembers everything he figures out that the aliens are syphoning off electricity from a local power plant to contain the nuclear energy. If the containment field is shut off, the chain reaction will blow the aliens and their giant critters to smithereens.

He gets to work with slide rule and pencil and figures out that if they shut down the power grid for a few seconds it will be enough to do the job. The problem is, Doug still has credibility issues. So he takes his wife's keys, breaks out of the hospital (still in his jammies) and heads for the power plant.

After beating up a couple of power plant workers, and holding one at gun point, he finally manages to shut the power down. There is a big explosion and everyone believes him now.  The World is Saved!!

W. Lee Wilder was the quite a bit less talented kid brother of the famous director Billy Wilder (Some Like it Hot, Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, Witness for the Prosecution). I have to give the guy credit for trying to make his plots somewhat intelligent. I enjoyed the Phantom from Space (even if they did use the helmet from Robot Montster) and this movie would've have been pretty decent if it weren't for the aliens who look like the Java-Man from MadTV. Hard to be scared of something while you're trying to pick yourself up off the floor from laughing.

I am actually considering searching for some of W. Lee's other gems. There is one called the Omegans that has Ingrid Pitt bathing in river.

This would also not be Peter Graves worst movie.

I got this on a double feature DVD with Phantom from Space for $1.

Post Edited (04-07-05 15:57)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »

Wacky stock footage from this turns up quite a bit in other stuff. Some people say that the whole UFO abduction phenomenon is based on this movie (big eyes, missing time, etc).
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 06:51:18 AM »

> Some people say that the whole UFO abduction phenomenon
> is based on this movie (big eyes, missing time, etc).

At the very least, the aliens' eyes might have inspired Larry Buchanan  :)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Yaddo 42
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 06:25:30 AM »

Is the DVD from "Dollar Entertainment"? We may have the same disc. I bought mine from a girl at work who picked it and some others up at the other Big Lots store in the area.

What would the worst Peter Graves movie? "The Beginning of the End"?, The version of "High Seas Hijack" with scenes of him as a newscaster added in? "The Clonus Horror"?, "It Conquered the World"? "Beneath the 12 Mile Reef"? "The Magic Christian"?
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »

Definitely not It Conquered the World. That has Lee Van Cleef  and Dick Miller in it.

I guess they called it It, because the couldn't figure out if it was a carrot or a radish.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 08:52:09 AM »

I have the Alpha Video version of this DVD . . . the picture is scratchy in some scenes, but it adds to the overall cheapness of the movie.  Well worth the $5.00 I paid for it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 01:53:49 PM »

Oh, the cheese! Get it, and Riff away!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Killers from Space (1954)...spoilers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.