Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:39:09 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rant: Titanic - biggest disappointment in a LONG time... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Rant: Titanic - biggest disappointment in a LONG time...  (Read 6781 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 06:00:52 PM »

I was waiting for the posts about that comment. I've gotten into it with people over this before.

I just can't bring myself to get worked up over a bad movie. I will make fun of them, say they were disappointing, or say that was a lot of hype that didn't deliver, but I'm not going start going to start picking something apart unless it is in a funny way.

I think I got ruined by too many other boards I've tried to be a part of where the trollers would post rants just to get reactions out of people.

I actually didn't think the movie was that bad, in fact it had excellent production values, just the story was not everybody's cup of tea.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Eirik
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 06:38:25 PM »

"So, if this movie is like E.T., will Cameron re-release it in another 15 years with the guns replaced by walkie-talkies?"

If he thinks there's money in it for him, in a HEARTBEAT.
Menard
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »

But we love being children. (:

blkrider
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 01:55:50 AM »

It seems like a lot of people feel that way about the movie---it's like everyone went temporarily insane back in 1997 then came to and realized what a crappy movie it was.  I wasn't immune either, but have never seen the movie a second time.
dean

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 05:20:46 AM »

I think Titanic's relative success is due to the time it came out.  As mentioned, there was something going on at the time which made everybody crazy!

I think part was Leo's popularity; I too had many a young lass tell me they had seen it ten times at the cinemas.

Also I think it had good timing; there was alot of hype about Titanic [the real one] at the time, with lots of new underwater footage and the like.

Overall I thought it was a silly film, though since when have I been one to hold silliness against a film? :-P

In terms of plot etc, it wasn't too bad, though predictable of course.

But you have to give it to the people involved in the film; they knew exactly what they were doing.  Just think of the amount of money and references it has generated since it first came out?

Yes, it certainly is this generation's E.T, but won't be forgotten easily.

Also, there was a lot of technical things which were pretty good about this film, like the water studio they built specifically for this film, and the use of CGI which were pretty well done [such as the CGI crowds in parts]

Anyways, I wouldn't exactly call it the biggest dissappointment in a long time; it's not as bad as some of the absolute filmmaking tragedies out there at the moment!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »

Capt. Smith didn't survive the sinking of the Titanic. According to Encyclopedia Titanica:

"He was last seem in the bridge area having given the final order to abandon ship. He appears to have made no attempt to save himself. His body, if recovered, was never identified. "

So it seems, aside from the fact that the ship did sink, they got one other historical fact right. Though, I heard it was Pop-Rocks and Coke that did Capt. Eddy in, not drowning!! It'll probably be explained in the sequel.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
odinn7

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 11:47:08 AM »

Deej wrote:

>  It'll probably be explained in the sequel.
>

Well, that or the re-make...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Menard
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 12:11:49 PM »

Thank you for pointing that out DJ. I had heard on Paul Harvey several years ago about a ship that sank, which was supposedly captained by the captain of the Titanic. This was several years after the Titanic. Perhaps it was an officer under Smith. Do you know anything about this?

Menard
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 12:37:54 PM »

It may have been Lightoller to which he was referring. Lightoller commanded the Falcon, a torpedo-boat-destroyer which sank on the sixth anniversary of the Titanic disaster.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 12:50:07 PM »

Deej wrote:

>
> So it seems, aside from the fact that the ship did sink, they
> got one other historical fact right.
>

Didn't they also get right the part about Murdock committing suicide?

Also, I heard at the time the movie was out that the sinking in the movie was 'real time' to how long it really took the ship to sink (from the time of striking the iceberg).  That alone, imo, gives the historical backdrop kind of a creepy "air" to the movie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flangepart

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 01:44:28 PM »

Yeesh....Eirik y'all said it well.

Trek : I think it casued a response like you have with a paper cut. Highly irritating only when some thing rubs it the wrong way.

My response : Ship : Good!
                            Music :  Good!
                            Acting : Border line.
                            Lead characters : Ham!
                            Female leads knockers : Good!
                            Male lead : Sleep with the fishes, Leo!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Archivist
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 06:56:29 PM »

Trek: why am I ranting so much about a movie?  Well, sometimes I enjoy a good rant.  I don't think of it as 'wasting' emotional energy, but rather letting it out in a way that releases a kind of 'pressure'.  I just felt really cheated because of all the 'social proof' and subsequent expectations that were not met.  I was expecting an emotionally charged sob-fest that would leave me feeling really weepy but good.  What I got was three hours of trite, obvious and boring as dried batsh*t movie.

Put it this way: they put Zoolander on TV just a few days ago.  I was glued to the screen and laughing my head off all the time.  During Titanic I would leave the room and get several glasses of water, and not even bother to pause the DVD.

As far as the movie itself goes, Titanic was entertaining but nothing to write home about, and definitely not worth the hype that went into it.  The production values, sets, historical detail and architectural accuracy were huge, as were the stunts and special effects.  The soundtrack was magnificent.  Too bad about the acting, plot and dialogue.

I have met people who saw it three times in the cinema, and I think I heard of some guy who watched it over a hundred times theatrically.   The only movies I have seen twice in the cinema were Jet Li's 'Fist of Legend' (once in its original Hong Kong theatrical release, once in the local Chinatown cinema), and The Mummy (once with a work function, once with non-work friends).

I agree that there was something crazy in the air at the time it was made - Leo was the 'flavour of the month' and the Titanic itself was the subject of a lot of public attention, with books, documentaries and the like.  There was even a computer role-playing/espionage game that was made around that time that was historically and architecturally accurate.  According to my brother, who is a buff of all things related to the actual Titanic *ship*, the game was far more enjoyable than the movie.  I talked to him about the movie just a few days ago and while he loved it when he first saw it, now he just enjoys it for the sets and sinking, rather than the story.

~Archivist~
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 12:00:52 AM »

ulthar wrote:

>
> Didn't they also get right the part about Murdock committing
> suicide?
>

Not sure, ulthar. I remember a stink being made because the film had Murdock shooting passengers, when in fact, he's supposed to have saved many lives. Apparently his home town, in Scotland, was unhappy about that bit in the movie.

I'm sure the filmmakers tried, and mostly succeeded, in being historically correct. But, as Menard and others have pointed out, they made some pretty glaring mistakes. Of course, you have to sacrifice some history for the sake of drama, and I know I couldn't have done a better job.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Eirik
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 08:55:05 PM »

At my work, there is a major database that everybody has to use to do our jobs.  Well, it was just "upgraded" which means they have to pull it back and fix all the stuff they did wrong.  A temporary database has been created to help us operate in the meantime.  It is called (and I'm not kidding) "TITANIC."

That just can't be a good sign.  

Why is it that computer people get paid soooo much to suck sooo bad (at least where I work)?
Eirik
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 08:59:52 PM »

"Anyways, I wouldn't exactly call it the biggest dissappointment in a long time; it's not as bad as some of the absolute filmmaking tragedies out there at the moment!"

That's true.  It always helps to keep movie bashing in some perspective.  I for one wasn't technically disappointed in this movie because I really didn't expect anything from it in the first place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rant: Titanic - biggest disappointment in a LONG time... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.