Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:58:24 PM
714192 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  70's Made for TV horror movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 70's Made for TV horror movies  (Read 2359 times)
Texdar
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:54:08 AM »

I believe that the 70's offered some really good horror/thriller type movies made for TV.  The ones I remember the most  are Gargoyles, Trilogy of Terror and Duel.  Anybody remember any others that they thought were any good?  Those 3 movies actually scared me (well only the last story on Trilogy with Terror with the little maniacal Zuni Warrior doll).  They don't make movies on network TV like that any more, that's for sure.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 08:38:48 AM »

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is the one I remember from the 70's. Scared the crap outta me when I was a kid. There's been other threads with this movie in it so I won't go on about it but in my opinion, it was the best one from the 70's.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:22:51 AM »

There were lots of good horror movies made for TV in the 70s:

THE NIGHT STALKER
THE NIGHT STRANGLER
NIGHT GALLERY
CROWHAVEN FARM
SNOWBEAST
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:56:04 PM »

I remember seeing Snowbeast when I was a kid.  That was scary!  Haven't seen it since.  I have a feeling I might not be so impressed now :)

Where Have All The People Gone?  With Peter Graves was Another cool one I vaguely remeber.  Sort of like Night of the Comet, except more serious.

There's another one I remember about cockroaches.  They came out of the ground after an earthquake, and by the end of the movie they were spelling words by forming letters with their bodies on a wall.  Anybody remember the name of that?  Not even sure if it was made-for-TV or not.

Texdar
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:29:06 PM »

I think that one was a theatrical release called Bugs.  They also could start fires if I remember right.  I went to the drive in with my parents to see it and didn't get to finish it as it creeped my mom out.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 10:53:28 AM »

Texdar:

You are correct.  The movie is BUG, starring Bradford Dillman.  I bought the DVD when it was released last year.  A nice "B" movie for under $10.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »

Oh yes, Trilogy of Terror!  Wonderful stuff.

If you like Brian Clemen's work and 70's British horror in general, the first season of Thriller has come out on DVD recently.  The whole Hammer House of Horror TV series is also out on DVD, too.  Great stuff.
Eirik
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 07:32:42 PM »

"You are correct. The movie is BUG, starring Bradford Dillman. "

Funny coincidence -- I referenced that movie in the exploding frog thread.  Am I recalling correctly that the bugs' inability to handle the relatively low air pressure of the surface world is what finished them off?

I agree with odinn7 - Don't be Afraid of the Dark was -- in terms of keeping me awake at night -- the scariest thing I saw as a kid.  The end when they dragged her up the chimney really messed with my head.  You couldn't get me near a fireplace, and -- in order to get any sleep -- I had to convince myself that gremlins only went after women (she was the only one in the movie they wanted as I remember).  Way better than 80% of the theatrical "horror" movies coming out these days.

Gargoyles was another awesome one.
Damien Kelly
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »

Hi There,

Does anyone remember a horror film (made for TV I think) where Satan or a Demon was stalking a woman? Satan/Demon only appeared at the end with these huge bat wings but he ended up getting burnt. There was one scary scene where the woman opened a curtain and there was this Demon staring in (it was raining I think). It had a similar feel to 'Don't Be Afraid of The Dark'.

If anyone knows it, could they email me and let me know? Much appreciated.

Regards,

Damien
Damien Kelly
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 08:01:44 PM »

Hi There,

Do you remember a horror film (made for TV I think) where Satan or a Demon was stalking a woman? Satan/Demon only appeared in her house at the end with these huge bat wings but he ended up getting burnt. There was one scary scene where the woman opened a curtain and there was this Demon staring in (it was raining I think). It had a similar feel to 'Don't Be Afraid of The Dark'.

If anyone knows it, could they email me and let me know? Much appreciated.

Regards,

Damien
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  70's Made for TV horror movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.