Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:50:22 AM
714208 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Greatest Films Not on DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Greatest Films Not on DVD  (Read 10219 times)
Daniel Johnson
« on: April 27, 2005, 04:42:07 PM »

Kind of off topic, but with all the b-movies we pine to see on dvd it kind of makes me think about all the trully great films not on dvd. I mean when the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre is out in a 2-disc deluxe format and mediocre tv shows are availiable in complete season sets how can films such as the original Magnificent Ambersons and Chimes at Midnight not be availiable in any form outside of perhaps bootlegs or an outdated foreign release with no bonus material, In this thread post the dvds that you think must be out along with what features you would like to see. I'll start...

Stanely Kubrick's Fear and Desire
*A selection of Kubrick's early short films
*Commentary by a film historian explaining how the movie relates to Kubrick's earlier work.

The Magnificent Ambersons
*Welles' original scenes digital recreated and stored in a "deleted scenes" menu
* Commentary by Roger Ebert since he did a pretty good job with commentary over Welles' Citizen Kane
*Documentary on Welles original intention for the film versus that of the studio

Chimes at Midnight
*Restoration demonstration
*A documentary detailing Welles work on the film, which first began as a play in 1939.
Scott H.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 05:36:07 PM »

Miramax currently owns the rights to countless asian action flicks that they won't release. I mean, they have them.... but they won't let us have them. At least the Magnificent Ambersons is available on VHS. All the stuff that Miramax is holding isn't available anywhere in the US..... unless, like you said, it is a bootleg.

I personally want Eraserhead out on a DVD asap. Hell, it's hard enough to find a regular VHS copy anywhere. There is a Japanese DVD print, but it isn't very good, and it's hard to get a hold of. It is too late, however for a full DVD release. Jack Nance, who played Henry in the movie, died a few years back, and so his  commentary on the movie is lost forever. I would love to here Lynch's commentary on making the movie, especially due to the fact it took him 4 years to complete, was done using no funds, and is an excellent movie. And, even though he probably won't talk about it, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE FETUS BABY!! Damnit, I just want to know how he made it! That's all! What the hell is it??? Come on Criterion. This is one you shouldn't pass up.

Scott H.

BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 09:47:39 PM »

I actually have a pretty good copy of Eraserhead on dvd bootleg I got from a comic convention. Bootlegs from conventions have come along way their all very good quality, well the ones I have anyway. I do agree I need a commentary though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 10:34:56 PM »

David Lynch actually has a DVD of Eraserhead for sale on his website, along with a disc of his early shorts. Still haven't bitten the bullet and ordered it (expensive little bugger), but word on the street is it's great; Lynch spent a couple years cleaning up the transfer, and it features an hour-long conversation with him (as well as, IIRC, a deleted scene).

Doubt there's much chance of Fear & Desire coming out anytime soon-- I hear Kubrick was pretty strongly against it being released in any form.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
saintmort
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:01:47 PM »

Monster Squad and Freaked come to mind
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 10:46:14 AM »

Okay, the titles I am going to mention may not be considered to be THE GREATEST FILMS, but since we are Cult Film admirers here these titles may be of interest on a wish list.

FROM BEYOND
-original 1.85:1 widescreen, hi-def and original Director's Cut!
-audio commentary with Stuart Gordon, Brian Yuzna, Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, and Ken Foree!
-original theatrical trailer
-interview or commentary with producer Charlie Band discussing the history of the defunct Empire Pictures!

EQUINOX (2 Disk Set)
DISK 1:
-the original Dennis Muren 76 min student film "The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural"
-audio commentary with Dennis Muren and co-writer Mark Thomas McGee
-interview with Frank Bonner
-interview with Fritz Leiber

DISK 2:
-the theatrical release version "Equinox"
-interview with producer Jack H. Harris
-intervierw with director Jack Woods
-theatrical trailer
-stills and photo gallery
-reproductive pressbook

THE MARK OF THE WOLFMAN (3 DISK SET)
DISK 1:
-original Spanish release version "La Marca Del Hombre-Lobo" in it's original 70mm 2.35:1 Techniscope, stereophonic sound, and 3-D format complete with English Subtitles.
-Spanish theatrical trailer
-interview with actor Paul Naschy

DISK 2:
-original English Language international version titled "Hell's Creatures" in it's original 70mm 2.35:1 Techniscope, stereophonic sound, and 3-D format.
-original English international trailer.
-original West German trailer

DISK 3:
-U.S. theatrical cut version titled "Frankenstein's Bloody Terror" in it's original 70mm 2.35:1 Techniscope, stereophonic sound, and 3-D format.
-original U.S. theatrical trailer.
-interview with U.S. distributor Samuel M. Sherman
-stills and photo gallery.

Yet, this is all one big pipe dream, but we can dream right?
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »

Ooh, good call on Equinox! Love that movie. "Wait, I just remembered-- Asmodius is another word for devil!"

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »

I'm still waiting for THE SEVEN-UPS and THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, as well as PUPPET ON A CHAIN, CONVOY, ROLLING THUNDER, and PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID.  Maybe not great films, but I'll definitely buy them.  (Some are available outside the U.S., but I'll wait for the U.S. releases).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Derf
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 03:34:56 PM »

I'd love to see a good transfer of Twice Upon a Time. I've read that it won't happen until one of the two producers dies; they argued over the film and neither side will give in, so the movie can't be rereleased. I've got the VHS, but a good DVD treatment would be outstanding.

LH-C
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 04:03:43 PM »

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle is a great movie that I've only been able to see on TV. I first stopped to watch it because the late Richard Jordan was playing one of the cops. Mitchum was in another movie at that time that isn't in print anymore called Going Home (1971). I saw part of it once about 2 years ago or so on TCM. The print was uncut and letterboxed of course. It was about this young guy (Jan-Michael Vincent), who isn't drafted because he has asthma, and his turbulent (non) relationship with his estranged dad who has been serving time for killing his wife (the guy's mom). Has anyone else ever seen this? If TCM ever shows it again, I'm definitely going to record it.
saintmort
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 09:45:41 PM »

Speak of the Devil, I got a bootleg version of Monster Squad on DVD today

Also add Alligator on the list
Anonymous User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

I love Freaked, it's hilarious, revolting and bizarre at the same time. I'm glad it's finally getting a delux treatment on DVD this year. They should do the same thing with the Idiot Box tvseries Winter and Stern made for MTV in the early 90's.

Susan
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »

The Incredible Shrinking man....arghhhh! i'll have to wait until someone makes a hideous remake for the remote possibility of a release on dvd

Night of the comet - purely for educational purposes ;-)

peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 05:30:23 PM »

ROBOCHIC . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »

Good thread.

There used to be a number of these for me, like Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and Once Upon a Time in the West...  Guess what?  :-P
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Greatest Films Not on DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.