Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:54:34 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What frightened you as a kid/teenager? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: What frightened you as a kid/teenager?  (Read 32151 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 11:52:08 PM »

"My name is Talking Tina and I don't like you."

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I'm going to kill you."
From the TZ episode mentioned above with Telly Savalas. I absolutely loved the original TZ series. When I was a kid, they would show it on WPIX (I think) on Saturday afternoons. I admit that some were creepy but none of them were really scary to me. I grew up watching horror movies from the time I was about 5 or 6...which, my wife says, explains quite a bit about me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Steven Byczek
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 11:54:20 PM »

So odinn...just out of curiousity...what were the titles of the movies that were the exceptions? What movies DID scare you as a child and/or teenager? Sincerely,Steve.
Steven Byczek
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 11:57:05 PM »

So odinn..what were the titles of the movies that were the exceptions? What movies DID scare you as a child and/or teenager? Sincerely,Steve.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 07:39:55 AM »

odinn7 wrote:

> I grew up watching horror movies from the time I was about 5 or
> 6...
>

Yeah, me too.  I remember Saturday afternoons there was a show called "Shock Theater" that showed all horror movies, most of them bad b&w's from the 1950's.  Every once in a while, they showed classics like the original "Mummy" or "The Wolfman."  One they showed quite often was "Gargoyles."

One of the creepiest that I remember shown during this time was called (iirc) "The Blue Room."  At least it was creepy to me at my age, because I remember the ending where the protagonists both died and became ghosts.

When I was even younger, I do recall my parents not letting me watch "Creature Feature," but that may have been more because it was on so late.  This would have been early 1970's.  It was THE show to get to watch when I was young, kinda like Saturday Night Live was when I was in Middle School.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 08:30:46 AM »

I used to watch Creature Feature every Saturday night with my father. My parents got a messy divorce when I was real young and I would stay with my father on the weekends. He would watch these movies with me and then my mother would be p**sed and say that I shouldn't be watching things like that. If it had been up to her, I wouldn't have even been allowed to see King Kong or Planet of the Apes. Anyway, to the point, I remember Creature Feature very well and also Chiller Theater.

Steven, the few movies that I recall that actually scared me:
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark- this one is mentioned many times on this board. I have a story associated with it that I'd rather not write again but if you're interested, click here.
Let's Scare Jessica to Death- My older sister thought it would be funny to make me watch this. I had great trouble with it but ran out of the room when it showed the guy riding the tractor with his throat slit and blood everywhere.
The Omen- I had a scary thing for Satan and demons. Didn't want any part of them.

That was pretty much it as far as I can remember.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
saintmort
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2005, 08:45:44 AM »

I've been trying to think of what Frightened me as a kid because I was a sissy back then but nothing would come. When you mentioned Twilight Zone though, I remembered the big one.

The episode Eye of the Beholder... where the "ugly" people try to turn the beautiful girl into an ugly person like themselves. The faces on them were just terrifying

I remember when I was like 6 I was Jaws and when the dudes leg to bit of that scared me a bit

I remember my  family made fun of me because the end of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" when Christopher Lloyd Rose all smashed up and started walking around scared me...then again I was even scared of the Alien Popping out Chest scene... IN SPACEBALLS!

Most recently the ending of "Sleepaway camp" has  been freaking me out but not for any reason more than it's just a creepy final shot and her face is really creepy.
Steve Byczek
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2005, 12:06:12 PM »

Very Interesting saintmort. Just out of curiousity...what scene in particular from "Roger Rabbit" scared you? I only saw the movie once, and it was several years ago. I seem to recall a scene where one of the actors got his head crushed. I can't remember what caused it to happen. Maybe his head got run over by a truck or trapped in a waffle iron. Anyway...I remember one of the actors walking around with a horizontal,one dimensional "cartoon" head that was flat as a pancake. Was this the scene that freaked you out? I have been told there is another scene where some guy gets changed into a pig and he walks around through one long scene with an animated cartoon/'pig-head" but apparently this scene is only available on the special edition D.V.D. Come to think of it,I  was 19 years old when it first came out,and even though it was promoted as a "kiddie" movie and I did not see it until several years later, I remember the critics describing it as very violent for a so-called "children's movie". When I did finally see it, I felt it had a lot of risque, and sometimes weird  "adult" humor. It definitely would have confused me, and given me nightmares, if I saw it as a young child.

odinn..I recall all of those films very vividly. I did not see "Let's Scare Jessica to Death " until I was a young adult (early 20's) but I can still understand why it frightened you. It would have scared the hell out of me if I saw it as a kid. I heard they are currently remaking "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark". I wish Hollywood would stop going on this "remake spree" and leave the old classic horror and sci-fi movies alone. I like the originals so much better. They bring back so many fun memories when we wach them, and they still have the capability to thrill and excite us!

Sincerely,Steve.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2005, 12:39:59 PM »

For some reason, the TZ reference reminded me of an episode of Lost in Space that was pretty scary when I was little. It was the one with the "golden man" who is judged to be a good guy because he's good looking. Smith hands over all the weapons, and the guy reverts to his normal form - this ugly red thing with a big distorted head and lopsided green eyes. I had to look away when he was on.

Of course, in typical Irwin Allen fashion, the costume was reused in a couple more episodes, and each one caught me totally off guard.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
saintmort
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2005, 01:48:11 PM »

it sounds like you're talking about the same scene

The full scene is Doom (the villian) gets his foot glued to a steamroller and is crushed and camera shows him screaming in pain as the steamroller flattens him but then you see his hand start to raise up and this flat  1 dimension version is wobbling around and talking, fills itself with helium and his "fake" eyeballs fall out and when he turns around his eyes are animated.

Freaky as hell for a kid who was in like 2nd grade at the time.
Steve Byczek
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 06:28:01 PM »

Awww. "Lost in Space" one of my childhood favorites! Can't think of any particular episode that scared me,though. I do remember my friends and I on the playground having debates regarding which "show" was more "cool",the original "Star Trek" with Shatner and Nimoy or "Lost in Space". I am embarassed to admit that I used to actually prefer "Lost in Space" as a kid because it was a faster paced show with more monsters and aliens and gagdets,and the plots of the episodes were easier for a kid to understand than the socio-political symbolism inside the "Star Trek" episodes. But now I am getting off topic. My friend was frightened of the "alien head" in the "Star Trek" episode entitled "Corbomite Maneuver". Gee..they had such wonderful t.v. shows in the 1960's and 1970's:"The Twilight Zone","Outer Limits","Lost in Space","Star Trek","Night Gallery". Not only were they well made but they were also well written and quite exciting and scary at times. Does anyone recall a t.v. show which came out in the early 1960's entitled "One Step Beyond"? It was similar to "The Twilight Zone" but unlike "TZ" the episodes were based on supposedly "true stories". It only lasted a couple of seasons but I saw most of the episodes as re-runs on a local t.v. station in the early '90s, and many of them were very well made not to mention very eerie and suspenseful! If you haven't seen any episodes of this almost forgotten show,don't miss out on the opportunity to watch them!!! Perfect viewing material for a dark and stormy night!

Sincerely,Steve.
saintmort
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »

I remember being scared to death by "beyond belief" stories
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 10:20:14 PM »

"The Omen- I had a scary thing for Satan and demons. Didn't want any part of them."

Wow, you mentioning The Omen reminded me of "Stephen" on Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare.  That is a rather creepy song.

The Omen *was* creepy.  2 was not bad.  Three I laughed through.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Steve Byczek
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 10:49:29 PM »

I never saw "Beyond Belief" but my wife tells me it was a fascinating but very scary t.v. show. I think they would have a narrator...wasn't it Jonathan Frakes from "Star Trek:The Next Generation" (?) and he would tell us several tales. Some of them were works of fiction,and others were based on true stories. You the viewer had to vote on which ones were true, and which ones were false. She said one that really creeped her out involved a young man who worked in an airport. His parents were at home one day while he was at work, and were terrified to discover on the 5:00 pm news that a plane had crashed into his workplace,and firefighters were convinced everybody in the airport was killed. They were even more suprised since he had called them earlier that evening around 4:30 pm  telling them there was an accident at the airport but he was okay. When the newscaster said the explosion had taken place at 4:00 pm and the whole place probably caught on fire around 4:15 pm,they came to the conclusion that the phone call they received from him took place AFTER he died. Wow! Talk about creepy stuff!

Sincerely,Steve.
Dr. Kobb
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 12:36:59 AM »

TV and movie-wise:

In the comedy-drama "Fuzz" with Burt Reynolds and Raquel Welch, there's this subplot of these teens who get their kicks setting bums on fire down by the docks.  That freaked me out, because it just seemed so ruthless and cruel for cruelties' sake.

"Jaws" kept me out of the water at the beach the Summer it played.

The scene in "The Exorcist" where Linda Blair's head does a 180 degree STILL freaks me out.

When I was real small, my sister and some of her Brownie friends were watching an episode of "The Outer Limits" where a monster slowly ambles toward the camera, getting closer and closer.  I ran out of the room, shreiking.

Couple of the old "Night Gallery" episodes gave the chills.  Anyone remember the one with the old lady gardener who wants to stay put on her property while some developers try to force her off?  The ending to that one freaked me.

Many scenes from the movie "Black Christmas", which aired on our local TV as "Silent NIght, Evil Night", gave me the heebie-jeebies.  Of course, now it's one of my all-time favorite horror flicks.

As a teen, I caught a midnight showing of Romero's "Dawn of the Dead", and had to drop a friend off way down a desolate highway, before returning home.  I remember that was a spooky ride.

Some of the many insect-swarm movies that were so prevelant when I was a kid in the `70's were enough for me to curl-up in my chair with the feet off the floor.

The scenes in the old "Salem's Lot" with the kids friends outside his window, begging to be let in, never failed to freak me.

As for non-movie/TV:

I remember I could scare the crap outta myself at night in bed in the dark just by whispering my own name.

Otherwise, just the usual things, like being called on in class and so on...

saintmort
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 08:13:44 AM »

Isn't it funny that Alice Cooper is a christian now?

oh the simple ironies in life
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What frightened you as a kid/teenager? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.