Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:12:55 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You're First True Horror Experience « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You're First True Horror Experience  (Read 2951 times)
saintmort
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:06:25 AM »

I'm a movie snob, or at least I consider myself one you'll typically hear me make comments about how there's no films worth seeing now except the indie films or how the original anything is better than the remake...ect.

I have a friend that I call Chrispy  (no real embarassing story, his first name is Chris and his last name is this long italian name starting with a P, Teachers Called him Chris P, we called him Chrispy) and he was over my house the other night looking over my DVD collection impressed (it's not that big, but he was imporessed how many of the movies he'd NEVER seen before) and one of those films was Scream.

The fact that a 19 year old kid hasn't seen Scream asstonished me so Instantly I put that in. Watching it reminded me how that was actually the film that really got me started in REAL horror movies. Like I always liked Horror Movies but like more so PG-13 films about monsters (Tremors, Monster Squad, old 50's horror films).

Scream was my first introduction  to a "this could happen" horror movie, not to mention a killer that looked like people I see every day. I forgot how brillant that movie truely was (too bad it spawned a bunch of awful spin offs)

What was that first horror film that you saw that threw you head first into the genre?
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »

This is a tough one because there are different sub-sections of the "horror" genre as I see it. You have the classic monsters, you have the hauntings, and then you also have the slashers. I used to watch all the classic monsters and enjoyed them but once we got a VCR in the early 80's and started renting movies, this is where it all changed for me. I'm a big fan of slasher movies and this is what I consider horror when I hear the word. The first movie that made me need to see more of this was when a friend and I rented Maniac (with Joe Spinell). The movie was pure art. We were both glued to the TV and knew that with the fantastic collection at the local video store, we would be well supplied for quite some time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Diablo44.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 08:50:13 AM »

My first true horror experience was a true "Trial by Fire". The year was 1983 and my Dad had just bought our first VCR (one of those top loading numbers. We still have it in the basement). He wanted to rent something good, and the clerk made a suggestion. This movie based on the old 1951 Sci-Fi classic "The Thing From Another World". So Dad comes home, all excited and tells me (9 years old) and my younger brother (7 years old), "Hey guys! I got a great movie! A remake of one of my favorites from when I was a kid! It's called 'The Thing'!" So he plops us down in front of the TV and has us all excited. Now, keep in mind, my brother and I were scared of everything at that age. We shared the same room until I was 12 and I got my own room, so until then we'd have each other amped to the ceiling over every bump in the night. From 6 to 10 years old, I probably got about 3 hours of sleep a night. The rest of the time I spent scared s**tless. So Dad pops in John Carpenter's "The Thing" and sits down with us. He goes to make popcorn at one point, just as Clark is about to put the Thing/dog into the cage with the other dogs. My brother and I are already all keyed up from seeing the "half melted man" from the Norwegian base. So when the dog's head splits open and tentacles start flying out, we just about lost our minds. We start screaming bloody murder, my Dad comes in wondering what the hell's going on and sees this bloody, mutilated mess on the screen and goes, ". . the hell?!", and immediately turns it off. My little brother and I didn't sleep for a week, and thank God we didn't see any huskies in the neighborhood or we probably would have dropped dead.

Needless to say, The Thing is now one of my all-time favorites. I tried to make my fiance watch this past weekend, and as soon as the "dog peeling" scene came on, she said, "AAHHHHH! Turn this off! This is disgusting!"

Rob
The KO Picture Show
Derf
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:09:22 AM »

As a very young child, the monster movies were enough to scare me, but I no longer consider them to be real horror movies. As a teenager, I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) on a midnight horror show. That genuinely frightened me (the remakes do nothing for me). But that movie didn't really start me seeking out other horror movies. In college, I went to see Light of Day in a duplex theater. That movie was so awful that I got up in the middle of it and went to the lobby to make a phone call. I heard the audience in the next screening room screaming at their movie. So, the next night I went to see a little movie called Evil Dead II, and I've been seeking out horror movies ever since. EDII didn't scare me the way Body Snatchers did, but it was enormous fun; I laughed all the way through it. Now, I can't seem to get enough.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:20:28 AM »

The first film to REALLY get me into the horror genre was Evil Dead.  I had just turned sixteen and as every 16 y/o kid does, I drove around endlessly.  One day I ended up going to see my cousin who is only a year older than I.

He was in his room watching a flick so I went back there and sat down in this huge recliner that he had.  The film was at the scene where Cheryl is being chased and eventually raped by the trees.  I couldn't believe what I was watching.  Then, later when she stabs the other girl in the ankle with the pencil......well....I was hooked.

I went out and bought it and then started renting every and any horror film at the local mom & pop shop.  At first though I wanted gory horror flicks like Cannibal Campout (how can you not love that title?) and others of that ilk.

It was around Halloween of that same year that everything turned around on me.  The local WalMart was having a sell on horror VHSs.  I picked up a copy of Night Of The Living Dead.  Of course I had heard of the film, who hadn't., but I never got around to watching it.  Nevermind the fact that, gasp, the local vid shop didn't carry it.  

I put it in and I was floored.  The film was completely amazing.  I had never seen anything like it before.  Not only was there zombies but also social commentary and a great ending.  This started my love afair of zombies.

If you were to look through my collection now (apx 175 DVDs/50 VHS) you would see the influence of both films.  Most of the horror films I own are zombie flicks.  I just can't get enough of a good zombie film!  

Then again you'll find some great 70s horror in the collection such as "Le Rouge Aux Levres" (Daughters Of Darkness) and The Sentinel.  

Thank God I married a girl who loves horror flicks.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Susan
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:55:45 PM »

saintmort wrote:
> The fact that a 19 year old kid hasn't seen Scream asstonished
> me

Yeah, i'm pretty astonished that i know a few people who have never seen "The shining", "Exorcist", or "Clash of the Titans" (see the I WORK WITH FOOLS thread..lol)

I can't remember THE film that made me love horror, because I started out as a kid (3ish and up) watching monster movies which progressed into sub-horror and then on. I remember when my parents first got a vcr and began renting movies that suddenly these horror films were IN MY HOUSE!! They weren't just a preview i saw on tv for a movie in a theater, and back then there were only like 2 cable movie channels. But the one movie that sticks out that my parents made me leave the room was "An American Werewolf in london", i was so mesmerized by the film because i think i saw the making of it on hbo or something to do with the making of horror movies that i had my ear pressed to the door the rest of the night my parents finished watching it. I think they were more concerned about the nude and sex scenes to tell you the truth.

I had a great mother who against everything she knew was good and holy allowed me at the age of 9 and up to rent nearly any horror movie i wanted, she usually never heard of the films i picked out of the horror section and would approve only after reading the back cover. So i was introduced to "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "hellraiser" and on. I became obsessed with watching every single horror movie in that section of the video store, even the sucky ones nobody ever heard of. Now that isn't the conventional wisdom a parent wants to follow, but i think she understood that i was a special child..lol  I had an avid interest in movies, I liked to know how effects and things were done and watched a myriad of genres. Plus most serial killers obsessed with horror movies are men

dean

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 03:32:31 AM »

Believe it or not, the first movie I can think of that was a horror experience was Gremlins.

So I was really young at the time, but Argh, how embarrassing to admit.  I loved the film but the last scene at the end with Spike's dead body and the times when the Gremlins were first born, always gave me a good scare, that and parts of the next film.  I kept imagining there were gremlins in my wardrobe so I developed a habit of closing my wardrobe doors before I slept.

It was quite irrational thinking back on it, since I never thought closing the doors would stop them, I just didn't like the idea of them being able to watch me sleep, and if I woke up in the morning with open wardrobe then it would prove my looney theory.

Other than that pansy story, the first films that got me vaguely into horror [I haven't delved as much as others have on this site] was Nightmare on Elm Street and 'It' [or as one friend recently mistook it, as 'I' , 'T'] and all those sort of horror films that you watch with your friends at a sleepover or some similar type thing.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:53:59 AM »

I went on a date with Lemma Sue Finley.  

Oh....were you talking about movies?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 02:26:47 AM »

I was gonna say "After my honeymoon," but realized we were talkin films.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »

I might as well reply to this, just to show how old I am.

In a theater . . .
"The Fly" The original. Not the remake. Which my mother took me and my younger sister to see, when it was first released to theaters. That scared the bejesus out of me, so much, I hid on the floor down behind the seats in the theater.

On television . . .
"Rapunzel" on "Shirley Temple Theater" Another one that scared the bejesus out of me, so bad, that again I hid down on the floor. This time behind the couch in the living room.

Again on television . . .
And the first horror film,  I ever remembering seeing on television, "Frankenstein" from 1931. That must have been sometime in the early '60's.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You're First True Horror Experience « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.