Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:34:51 AM
714148 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Emmet's Mark" (2002) and "The Barber" (2001). « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Emmet's Mark" (2002) and "The Barber" (2001).  (Read 1601 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 03, 2005, 04:59:51 PM »

Note: post previously called "Night of the direct-to-DVD thrillers", I renamed it for clarity. And to see if I can get any replies.

Ahhhh... Boring night here in western Europe, so I've rented (and seen) a couple of direct-to-dvd thrillers. See, I absolutely love thrillers, and since those created for mainstream realease are often travestis, I've been trying to keep myself to watching the cheaper stuff, which at least is more restrained. Thrillers must be one of the few genres thaty work better with lower budgets, and since I don't have any problem with cliches (part of the fun, at least for me, is to identify them) I use to find these flicks quite enjoyable. A pity they don't get much attention in the B-movie world, really.

Tonight I was lucky enough to rent two respectable flicks.

1) "Emmett's Mark" (2002) aka "Killing Emmet Young". Forever baby-faced Scott Wolf ("Party of five") stars as a police detective (yeah, right) who is diagnosed with a terminal illness. Convinced that he doesn't want to live the agonizing months until his death, Young hires a contract killer and tries to use his last days to catch a real nasty criminal.

Plot is quite predictable, as I expected, but there is some good acting going on here. Wolf, despite being too young for the titular role, is quite convincing, but the real scene robber here is Tim Roth, in the role of the man who accepts killing Young for money. Plot also intercuts the intentions and lifes of both characters quite cleverly, although forcing credibility (no problem for me). Camerawork, however, is so restrained that some sections of the film are dull.

2) "The Barber" (2001) is an even better surprise. If I had to define this movie, I'd say it is a mixture of "Northern Exposure" and "Hannibal". The almighty Malcolm McDowell stars as the barber of a small alaskan village, submerged in its usual six months winter. To the isolation and its nasty effects on locals, add that there is a serial killer working in the neighbourhood, and nor the local police nor a just-arrived FBI agent seem much in charge of the situation.

More a dark comedy than a psycho thriller, the whole film is narrated, with delightful cinism, by McDowell's character, while the often witty script keeps things moving with competence. A must for McDowell's fans, and I'm one of them.

Post Edited (06-04-05 04:30)

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Emmet's Mark" (2002) and "The Barber" (2001). « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.