Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:54:33 AM
713401 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who misses 80's trailers on VHS? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who misses 80's trailers on VHS?  (Read 1998 times)
Archivist
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:17:39 PM »

I was with a friend the other day and we rented the Rutger Hauer scifi action movie 'Split Second' on VHS.  (Very cool, by the way.)

On the tape, there were a number of trailers for other action movies that were being released around that time.  This took me right back to the 80's, in which every video had trailers before or after the movie (or sometimes before AND after).

Because trailers were usually paired with movies of the same genre, during the 80's I was subjected to dozens of trailers for the same bad action movies, and I loved every minute of it.  It was also a good way to get a snapshot of the other movies of that time.

But with the advent of DVD, the trailers were gone.  Only in more recent years have the DVD companies been putting trailers with the movies, but now they all have this glossy 21st century feeling to them.

I guess it's a nostalgia thing for me, but who else misses seeing a whole bunch of cool trailers when you buy/rent a movie?
Susan
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »

That's the one thing i hate is purchasing a movie with trailers you can skip past.
For the most part i used to rent obscure titles when i was younger on VHS and sometimes watching those cheesy horribly done trailers were often where i drew ideas for my next rental. It was always some bad narraration by some guy who sounds like he was the narrarator for most 70's toothpaste and toilet paper commercials.

ToyMan
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:01:17 PM »

i really like it when a company puts at least 3 trailers on a disc. it's especially good if they're same-genre films.
Alan Smithee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:06:11 PM »

Hahaha. I just watched the god awful "Crackers" (1983) and it had a theatrical trailer for "Electric Cowboy". It was so creaky in a late 70's/early 80's kind of way.

In fact, I wouldn't mind watching a movie's length worth of old 1980's trailers.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:41:42 PM »

I must be unusual. I hated trailers before movies and would always fast forward through them...HOWEVER....when I now watch one of my old tapes from the 80's, I let the trailers run just because I do enjoy seeing them and being reminded of the movies that were out at that time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 06:56:29 AM »

The thing I really hate on some cheap DVDs is when they put the trailers under "bonus features." You think you're getting trailers for the movie you're watching, but it's really advertising for their other current titles. It's not that I don't want them on the disc, but they should be labelled more clearly, and placed somewhere else. They're not a bonus.

But that's kind of off-topic. I do love watching an older movie and seeing what else was out at the time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who misses 80's trailers on VHS? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.