Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:15:20 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  This is why Uwe Boll is still in business « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is why Uwe Boll is still in business  (Read 8926 times)
2xSlick
Dedicated Viewer

« on: May 19, 2005, 08:53:44 PM »

Found an article on Uwe Boll through Wikipedia. I've italized the best bits...

Uwe Boll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Uwe Boll (born June 22, 1965 in Wermelskirchen, Germany) has come into public light as a director of films based on video games, such as House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, the forthcoming BloodRayne, and several others he has acquired the film rights to.

Boll has been a target of criticism by film critics and in online forums for plot incoherence, lack of character development, and bad dialogue. The criticism is almost universal and many people are very emotional about Boll's films. However, Boll, an avid gamer himself, claims to be quite passionate about his work. He argues that not many people want to make video game adaptations and fans should be grateful he is at least trying. His Boll KG company slogan declares itself to be the "World Market Leader in Video Game Adaptations."

Boll claims that the script to House of the Dead was included with the movie rights and he could not change it. Reportedly, early scripts to Alone in the Dark were rejected several times. Boll, apparently disappointed by the lack of gun battles, car chases and sex scenes, re-wrote the script personally. [1] (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649&p=)

His films have achieved neither critical acclaim nor box office success (though House of the Dead managed to break even thanks to a moderately good opening weekend) and are often considered "worst of the year." Despite the criticism and detractors, however, Boll has a small cult following which often calls him a modern-day Ed Wood...a director with evident zeal and honest love of movies and movie production who ultimately makes movies that are generally thought of as being some of the worst ever made and unintentionally humorous.

Boll essentially is a modern-day B-movie director. He's able to secure the investors (mostly German, in Hollywood often derisively referred to as "stupid German money"), secure the rights for cheap, picking games with only moderate brand recognition, does all of the actual production himself, and swiftly cranks out a film. While under normal circumstances a director's movies could gross so little he's eventually shut out from every operating studio, Boll is exempt because he funds them under a loophole in German tax law that is supported by contributors and actually rewards films that perform badly, via a writeoff at the end of the year.

Boll earned a doctorate in literature from the University of Cologne in 1995. He has written two books, the film industry exposé German Fried Movie & Barschel-Mord in Genf. Oder wie man in Deutschland einen Film drehen muss (How to make a movie in Germany) and Die Gattung Serie und ihre Genres, on themes of serial television.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs -For the worst in video game and movie reviews, mostly dealing with zombies.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 05:44:04 AM »

I say keep Boll in business!  I absolutely love his films.  They are stupid, badly acted / scripted but a hell of a lot of fun.

Alone In The Dark really wasn't too bad.  My wife and I were the only ones to go see it at the local theater.....on a Friday night......it's opening night.  It was good for a laugh, and was actually better than House Of The Dead.

Bring em on Boll!  I'll sit through whatever crap you put out at the theater with a smile on my face!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 07:11:57 AM »

I have no problem with him. Sure his movies are stupid but they're entertaining. They're poorly written and cheaply done but at least they're fun and not boring at all. I laughed through House of the Dead (how about that springboard scene?) which many people hated but I found highly entertaining. It's all in the way that you look at it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 07:26:03 AM »

While under normal circumstances a director's movies could gross so little he's eventually shut out from every operating studio, Boll is exempt because he funds them under a loophole in German tax law that is supported by contributors and actually rewards films that perform badly, via a writeoff at the end of the year.

So in other words, he's working a real-world version of The Producers.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:28:05 AM »

I say keep Boll in business!  I absolutely love his films.  They are stupid, badly acted / scripted but a hell of a lot of fun.

+Karma. I see a Boll film (except House of the Dead, that one sucked IMO!) and it's like the 80s all over again, and that's a very good thing in this day and age of depressingly serious movies being the only things recognised.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  This is why Uwe Boll is still in business « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.