Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:31:32 PM
714251 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Albert Pyun Returns!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Albert Pyun Returns!!!  (Read 1112 times)
Foywonder
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:10:08 AM »

Apparently determined to reclaim his mantle of worst filmmaker of our generation from that up and coming whippersnapper Uwe Boll, the one and only Albert Pyun is returning from wherever the hell he's been for the past few years to once again sit in the director's chair, and this time he's bringing H.P. Lovecraft with him.

Quoting Fangoria:

Hawaiian-born filmmaker Albert (THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER) Pyun is working on a film adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s tale “Cool Air, and gave Fango the scoop on the project. “We’re shooting now in Los Angeles and will wrap this Friday, Pyun tells us. “Robert Ladesich is the producer, and a new screenwriter, Cynthia Curnan, adapted the short story. Morgan [SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND] Weisser stars. My company, Filmwerks, will supervise distribution via Chris Davis International, and we hope to have it ready for release by October, just in time for Halloween!

Pyun has been a devotee of Lovecraft, and this story in particular (also adapted in Brian Yuzna’s anthology film NECRONOMICON), for years, and when he saw the possibility to bring it to the screen himself, he didn’t hesitate. “I’ve been a fan of it since I was a child, he says. “It always stuck in my head as something I wanted to put on film. Then I happened to read Cynthia Curnan's screenplay last year, and it captured my vision of the tale. I knew this was the perfect adaptation. He’s particularly excited about one scene: “I especially enjoyed shooting the main character’s heart attack because of its surprising twist in the story and its drama. Morgan conveyed the character’s bewilderment and fear in mesmerizing fashion.

The cast also includes Crystal Green as the doctor (in a gender switch from the story), Wendy Phillips as the landlady and Virginia Dare as her daughter Estella (another sex change). Norbert Weisser, Morgan’s father and a veteran of THE THING and numerous Pyun films, plays a mysterious lodger with a dark, twisted secret.

The director adds that the story won’t rely so much on blood and guts. “[We’ll have] more atmosphere and getting inside the character’s head, Pyun says. “There are a few effective effects shots, but I loved the screenwriter’s take on the main character’s internal paranoia and imagination. What is or isn’t real?

Ah, but it turns out that this isn't Pyun's triumphant return as the living legend already has a new flick under his belt and boy does it sound like a Pyun film - MAX HAVOC: CURSE OF THE DRAGON The plot:

"Ex-kickboxing champion turned sports photographer Max Havoc again finds himself in Guam on a publicity photo shoot. Max's helpful ways land him in the lives of the vacationing sisters Jane and Christy Goody who have acquired a rare jade dragon, which belongs to the ruthless Japanese Yakuza who will stop at nothing to get it back. It's up to Max to stop the Yakuza, save the sisters and restore order to the peaceful island."

Starring Donnie Yen apprentice Mickey Hardt, rapper Fat Joe, former Man Show Juggy Girl Joanna Krupa, Shaft himself Richard Roundtree, Pyun regular Vincent Klyn, the ubiquitous Carmen Electra, BLADE II villain Luke Goss, and David Carradine, who is obviously hellbent on squandering all the ground he gained with the KILL BILL flicks!

No clue when that film will see the light of day but that doesn't mean he as to wait and see what the reception is before planning a sequel. Yep, Pyun already has a sequel in the works to be called MAX HAVOC: RING OF FIRE

Ooooh, I cannot wait.

But the question remains, will any of those future classics be as great as ARCADE or NEMESIS III: PREY HARDER or TICKER or ALIEN FROM L.A. or BRAIN SMASHER ...A LOVE STORY or ADRENALINE: FEAR THE RUSH or the all-time classic CAPTAIN AMERICA?

Only time will tell.
Archivist
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:04:59 AM »

'Max Havoc' sounds like a doozy!  I can't wait.

And if Pyun is a Lovecraft fan, I am eager to see what butchery he wreaks on the Mythos.  Cool Air, huh?  We'll see.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 10:17:05 AM »

Yeah!!! Pyun!

I don't think I hate his movies quite as much as most...I actually managed to enjoy Omega Doom, Dollman, Arcade, and at least the first Nemesis movies...  Parts of Mean Guns looked cool, what little I saw of it.  Granted, Spitfire was pretty bad and Heatseeker was not that good either but....

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 06:00:06 AM »

And to think I believed Pyun's films were becoming better... I mean, there are many worse thrillers that "Postmortem" (1998), and "Mean Guns" (1997) was loads of dumb fun.

But to see him tackle a Lovecraft adaptation... I don't know if I'm ready to see that. At least "Postmortem" had a pretty decent atmosphere, so not all is lost if Pyun refrains himself and works on a half-way decent script.

The other film, instead, seems a return to the Pyun we all know, a kickboxing stravaganza with the most outrageous cast ever. A Don "The Dragon" Wilson wannabe? Another rapper who thinks he can act and most likely will be reduced to comic relief? David Carradine???? Looks like a must see. I still have tatooed on my mind that hysterical scene of "Kickboxer IV" with Sasha Mitchell kicking Tong Po's arse over picnic tables.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Albert Pyun Returns!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.