Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:29:39 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Island" 2005 a "Parts" rip-off « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Island" 2005 a "Parts" rip-off  (Read 1623 times)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 07, 2005, 11:41:08 PM »

This topic has been floating around the internet for a while, but I recognized it independently a few weeks back: the new movie "The Island" is in fact a remake of an older (yet crappier) movie called "Parts: The Clonus Horror" (1979). Those of you who are proficient in their Mystery Science Theater 3000 will recognize this as episode 811. The movie basically sets perfect clones of rich people in a utopian society where they are trained to be healthy in case their real-life counterpart needs a new organ. In such a case they are told they have "passed" in life and will be shipped to an "island" as congratulations. The original features one clone who doesn't buy into the whole perfection bit and begins to question his surroundings when he discovers odd things such as an old Milwuakee's Best beer can in a stream.

Frankly I'm surprised this movie hadn't been remade earlier. The topic is completely relevant to our stem cell research advances today and could easily turn into ammunition for anti-stem cell research organizations (i.e. the american government) in their quest to emphasize the farfetched. The idea is entertaining, and it does prove an ethical dilemma which modern ethicists can rage over ad nauseum for some four hundred years. However the movie itself I find to have fallen into a CG trend. Explosions, explosions, explosions. The more action, adventure, and excitement, the more people will like it, right? says Bruckheimer and his followers. The preview shows an exploding helicopter falling from the sky as a large building logo falling along with it and the 'camera' going through the hole in the logo's "R." High speed chases, more explosions, sex, explosions, you must be getting my point by now.

All I can say to this is with all of the technology going into manufacturing particle fire and explosions, what portion is going to exploring style??? I just watched "Superman" (1978) today and considering the enormous expense it took to make, along with state of the art technology, it was still done so well I'd even say it had some timeless camera work in it. The trial on Krypton with the large faces on the wall behind Marlon Brando, this is a feature I haven't seen used in many if any CG laden movies. Looking back further, I reference a Red Skelton movie "Bathing Beauty" (1944) where a trumpet solo on a stage lapses into a dream like sequence featuring members of the band's body spliced and overlayed against the trumpeteer. Hell, look at "Blues Brothers" (1980) when Curtis is on stage scating and his band lapses into a lounge band with white outfits and a comlpete stage set up. Doesn't it look good? Well, I'm running out of patience with my writing so I'll create a point: it's time for the pineal to stop controlling Hollywood. Bring back the ethereal dreamers of yesteryear and arm them with the limitless technology of CG. For their movies, I will gladly shell out $6.50 (student rate of course).

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »

https://www.agonybooth.com/interview-with-clonus-screenwriter-4507

Apparently the Clonus screenwriter sued, & Dreamworks paid him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:30:32 PM by Pacman000 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Island" 2005 a "Parts" rip-off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.